displaying posts 76 to 100 of 100

Pages (4): first .. 2 3 [4]

Author Subject: 205 gti-6 trackcar tweeks
Jake

Regular

Post #76
eddy_gti6 wrote:
Not too bad there jake. I see you were driving a 205 gti 1.9 tho Laugh my ass off

Someone mush have changed the engine when I wasn't looking Dunno

There is another one withe a back wheel in the air but the bloke wants 20odd pound for it. Think ill stick with this one!
I'm still buzzing about how well I did against much quicker cars such as the scoobies, but sick that I got beat by a Suzuki swift (even thought it was supercharged) haha ill try harder next time!

In other news, this came in the post - exciting times ahead!

Big grin

Popped up the garage yesterday to try and workout why the pug was only running on two cylinders. Turned out to be two of the coil packs had gave up so swapped them with some spare ones and all was good. Now it purrs like a kitten. Cheers for the coil packs eddy!

On that note I booked a last minute trackday at croft on Saturday. Just need to get my slicks put on my spare set of wheels and I'm good to go. This will be the third time this month I've been to croft but the first time driving, the weather is looking dry so it should be a good day. After the sprint i think the car handles amazing at the moment so can't see anything I want to change but once I hit some proper speed on track the lively back end might catch me out, so ill be taking it (reasonably) steady. Ill rig up the camera and try and get a vid to post up.

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 23rd May 2013 at 21:21
Jake

Regular

Post #77
Takedown wrote:
Good jake!!!

Cheers Thumbs up

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 23rd May 2013 at 21:22
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #78
Good day today Jake?

Laugh my ass off

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 25th May 2013 at 23:08
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #79
Take that as a not very good then? LOL My day planned out great to be honest. Was planning on servicing the van, selling the clio then build my back wall up.
Instead i got woke up around 11.15am off you asking for some coilpacks to be brought down, broke into your garage to get them, drove down to croft to find this had happened to the 205!

Replaced it along with abit wiring and all was good Smile went out for a passenger ride but you really do need a better seat for next time i get passenger ride off you haha. another coilpack gave in so replaced that and i took i out.
Well impressed with how it goes and handles. couldnt fault it in any way. Pulled into the pits to let jake go back out and i dont think he even got a lap befor the other 2 coilpacks gave in!!! f**k SAKE!

Good job the clio as on hand to take out then wasnt it Big grin Didnt skip a beat... Bar the useless budget tyres what fell apart Shock

More pics from the rest of the day

on track in the clio:

Love

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 25th May 2013 at 23:38
Jake

Regular

Post #80
^^^^^What he said^^^^

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 26th May 2013 at 18:25
Jake

Regular

Post #81
My morning went well, took advantage of the open pit lane and got out for a few laps came in to let it cool for a little while and repeated that as it was getting hot in the car without fans even with the windows open also had to swap the tyres around a few times because the front left was taking some abuse. Spent the first few laps getting used to the way the little pug handles and learning the lines of the track. It was abit of a posh trackday with all of the cars on track faster than mine Sad a load of Porsches (gt3rs, 911 turbos and cup cars) 3 Nissan GTRs TVRs,kit cars and all sorts so my little pug was a bit out of place.

Anyways, my day changed when I got a missfire at the back of the track so slowly drove back to the pits when I started to get that smell of burning plastic followed by black smoke starting to come into the cockpit pulled in the pits and popes the bonnet where I was greeted with flames coming from under the coil pack cover! Whipped out my dinky fire extinguisher and put it out. It defiantly gets the heart rate raising when your cars on fire!

Overall, I'm happy With the way the 205 handles, I'm just getting use to how to drive a front wheel drive car fast around a circuit I.e loosen up the back end a wee bit to get it turned into a corner to reduce understeer and the back end still sticks like s**t!
I used this trackday to see if I wanted to use this car for racing and I can happily say that I do. So now it's time to get all the MSA approved stuff on it. I've got a big list of thing to do, such as-

Medical
ARDS test
Then send that off with the fee to get a race license

Find and buy a braked trailer (to tow more weight)
Practice and book a days course for trailer test

Kit myself out-
Helmet
Race suit (3 layer)
Gloves
Boots
Fire proof under crackers

Sort the cars MSA approved equipment-
Seat
Harness
Internal and external cut off switches and stickers
Plumbed in fire extinguisher
Battery box

Just don't add up the cost of all that!

Ill hopefully be joining the French trophy depending on what class they put me in (just sending some emails to find out)

Here's a few pics from Saturday.

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 27th May 2013 at 18:06
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #82
Was an excellent day down there and the 205 is great on track Cool

Posted 27th May 2013 at 18:14
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #83
Jake wrote:

Ill hopefully be joining the French trophy depending on what class they put me in (just sending some emails to find out)

Wont that be the 2.0 class that have ex - factory cars? Crazy

Red Rallye - Rolling "restoration"

Wishbone Polybushes available
Posted 16th Jun 2013 at 08:53
yippeekayay

Seasoned Pro

Post #84
Were the coils earthed properly...they shouldn't burn out in quick succession like that...

306 less for first time in nearly 7 years. Lets keep it that way... please refuse any offers i make to buy your 306 ( doctors letter supplied by request)

Marmite and cheese sandwiches anyone???

Burns and Mcrae will be forever missed.
x box "yippeekayaymofo"
Posted 16th Jun 2013 at 09:59
rikky 🦔

Post #85
could this be anything to do with the tacho wiring going to the coils? i've gotta sort mine out shortly, and that crossed my mind. that said i've seen people soldering the back of the clocks which looks easier than adding wiring into my now neat & tidy loom

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 16th Jun 2013 at 10:08
Jake

Regular

Post #86
daver6 wrote:
Jake wrote:

Wont that be the 2.0 class that have ex - factory cars? Crazy

With most race series that is the case but at the moment French trophy is the only option for me to be competitive in as the 2.0 class I would be in is full of Clio 172/182s but after speaking to the organizer the regs will soon be changed and I will be put in an invitational class because of the engine swap. All other series want me in an invitational class too which is where I don't want to be!

yippeekayay wrote:
Were the coils earthed properly...they shouldn't burn out in quick succession like that...

I've got two earths on the head which are for the coils?

rikky wrote:
could this be anything to do with the tacho wiring going to the coils? i've gotta sort mine out shortly, and that crossed my mind. that said i've seen people soldering the back of the clocks which looks easier than adding wiring into my now neat & tidy loom

Plausible, if its wired direct. Might give it a snip and see.

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 16th Jun 2013 at 18:10
Jake

Regular

Post #87
Actually my rev counter just stopped working....

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 16th Jun 2013 at 18:11
Jake

Regular

Post #88
These past few weeks I set out to get my race license, firstly this requires a medical so rang my doctors and they wanted £120 carry out the medical for the race license! Obviously a rip off! got on the phone to the local race circuits to find a doctor that does the MSA medicals and after speaking to Teesside autodrome they recommended me a doctor to do my medical, got on the phone again and got booked in and completed it successfully the other week for a total sum of £50! and just because it was cheaper doesn't mean it wasn't done properly either.

Next up was the ARDS test. I always planned on doing this at croft circuit as that is my local circuit and I've been around it a few times so know where the corners are! But after speaking to them they didn't seem interested in booking me on, they couldn't tell me when they were running them or when the next free space was or anything. Disappointed about croft but also tried Teesside autodrome as I heard they do ARDS tests but they were stopped at the beginning of the year because Teeside does not hold any car racing (same reason with Bedford autodrome and other Kart/sprint circuits). Looked into tracks further away and decided on Oulton park as it looks a good track (on tele!) and they provide a car unlike Cadwell Park!

Traveled down to Oulton Park on Tuesday morning and had the test booked for 12:45 so no silly early morning to contend with. It starts with having to watch the 'go racing' video again but luckily not the first aid part as its boring as f**k. Then into the theory test which consists of a 28 question paper and the first 20 questions MUST be answered correctly! Finding this out made me nervous haha the test itself only takes a few minutes and luckily I got full marks! Woohoo!

Next it's down to the Peugeot RCZs for the track test. This involves the tester to do Two laps to show how they want you to drive but in my case it was showing me the circuit as I had never been there before which turned out not to be the best idea! Everyone else had either been before or had a mornings instruction! I got to grips with the circuit pretty quickly because I had too haha even you only get 3 laps practice with instruction and then 2 laps which is assessed. Then it's the moment of truth.......... I passed Big grin

For the driving assessment they expect you to drive smoothly and accurately by hitting the clipping points and not using lots of kurbs also knowing the racing lines and braking points with no oversteer or understeer or tyre squeal and at about 80% driving effort and not 'all out' but you are expected to go at a reasonable pace to show you can actually enter a race. And this was done whilst a open pit lane trackday was on so watching the mirrors for the radicals and kit cars!

Next up is completing my trailer test which is booked for the 3rd of July so I better get practicing and I'm also on the look out for a trailer. Also need to decide which PPE to get to get as theirs loads to choose from. Unfortunately i'll also be putting the 205 up for sale once the coil pack problem is fixed as it doesn't fit into any race series which is a shame as its a very good car on track!

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 20th Jun 2013 at 20:25
7057sam

Seasoned Pro

Post #89
Real shame about the 205 jake.congrats on the test though.

You liking of running a 6 then or something completely different?

Rallye build: 11 November 1998 - a Wednesday
Team rallye,built for track
----Click this if you like rallyes

Rallye dead Sad
Secret Team Astor...
Posted 20th Jun 2013 at 23:49
Jake

Regular

Post #90
I'm wanting to join either the BRSCC Mazda mx-5 championship or the Ma5da Racing series, been to watch them a few times and was impressed with how close the racing was from the front to the back of the grid!

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 22nd Jun 2013 at 20:27
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #91
Well in there Jake. Doing well to get all passed on everything pretty quick. Look forward to seeing the new car Cool

Posted 23rd Jun 2013 at 08:50
Jake

Regular

Post #92
Cheers Eddy,

Still a lot to buy like a trailer for a start so then I can find and collect the new car (mx-5) buy race suit, helmet, boots, gloves and even once I've got that I need a decent spares package as the races are triple and quadruple headers per weekend so if I have a smash it can be fixed, also need a tent to sleep in or might blag a camper van for the weekend, also need a gazebo for working on the car in the rain and a GoPro to catch the action and bad driving! Oh and the races are on tele Big grin realistically looking to get everything sorted for a race weekend at the beginning of August, failing that mx5s are at croft in September which is a track I've actually been to but really want to race before that so I best crack on and get some gear ordered.

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 23rd Jun 2013 at 20:55
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #93
Pull your finger out and get some bits bought instead of just watching them on ebay! Laugh my ass off Always here to help tho if you need any Thumbs up

Posted 24th Jun 2013 at 11:06
Jake

Regular

Post #94
Get off my Ebay haha
Just watching trailers on Ebay and they are all s**t! I wouldn't mind having one like your mates tho.

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 24th Jun 2013 at 12:16
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #95
It's incredible how quickly the cost of racing racks up. The initial outlay is huge! Think I've got at least £5k to spend before I'm ready to get racing.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 24th Jun 2013 at 12:29
Jake

Regular

Post #96
Fex-Ex man turned up at work with something interesting today

Big grin

Found myself wearing it for most of the working day LOL

Once I got home I found that postman Pat had left me something too

I now need to decide of I want an OMP race suit or Alpinestars!

My 205 is now in the for sale section if anyone is interested, I've found I car and I need to make space for it.

demondriverdan wrote:
It's incredible how quickly the cost of racing racks up. The initial outlay is huge! Think I've got at least £5k to spend before I'm ready to get racing.

Very true! Spent a fortune to get where I am now for instance buying a thirsty 4x4, sorting the garage (even tho its more of a shed) and race licence has cost a few quid as I had to travel a lot. Can't see next year being cheap either as ill be racing all over the country and about 7-8 weekends to pay for.....it's going to be expensive! I might post up what I've spent just to show others that are interested what it costs to start. Ill keep and eye on your thread to see how you get on.

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 26th Jun 2013 at 20:52
Jake

Regular

Post #97
These past few weeks I've been organizing the B+E driving test, a normal category B driving licence only allows towing up to 3500kg combined weight of car and trailer but I need mooooore! Not much more, annoyingly. For anyone that's interested here what has to be done.

The test includes a few "show me, tell me" questions, un-coupling the trailer from the car and parking up next to it then checking the the trailer is safe (check handbrake, tyres, doors are locked) the re-coupling the trailer back to the car then it's on to the manoeuvre, this is basically two boxes set so you reverse in an 'S' shape, they use a closed box trailer so you can't see anything out of the rear view mirror but it also means it can be stickered up with reference points to make it easier. Onto 50minutes of driving, 10 of which is independent driving (told to follow some signs to somewhere) they are looking for good use of mirrors and slow approaches to junctions and that's about it.

In summary, it was boring as f**k and a waste of time but basically the same as a normal driving test but longer as its classed as advanced driving (apparently) to me it didn't make much difference having a trailer on the back when driving apart form not being able to use the rear view mirror and slow approach to junctions which is what I would have done anyway without lessons. In fact I only had two lessons with the trailer instructor before test. Apologies for the rant but its annoying that little old c**ts that can't even see over the steering wheel are allowed to tow caravans and I have to do a test for it.

Edit: forgot to mention I passed, 5 minors.

Cheers,
A very annoyed Jake

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 3rd Jul 2013 at 22:22
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #98
It's worth looking at Hiring a Trailer, thats what I did and to be honest it worked out cheaper, No maintenance and always a nice new one, well under 12 months old, No need to store it as they take up allot of room and unless you have locked storage easy to steal.
Check your insurance too for the correct cover

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 3rd Jul 2013 at 22:55
Jake

Regular

Post #99
Miles,

I'm considering doing just that but at £65 (local Indespension) per 24hrs is a bit steep especially after a full weekends racing and at 8 different venues per year it will add up quickly. If I can find a place that will hire one at a better weekend rate (and are local) ill go with it for this year as of I buy one it won't move all winter. How much were you paying to hire one?

I've made space for one but it's likely to get stolen from around here (just like my motorcross bikes got pinched ages ago) and its a bit of an eye sore.

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 4th Jul 2013 at 18:55
Jake

Regular

Post #100
Well then, a while since I updated this. As far as the 205 goes I've rolled it out of the garage and back in, can't seem to suss what is wrong with it, swapped the coil pack over to ones which I knew we're working (from a working cylinder) and it still doesn't fire on two of the cylinders furthest away from the cambelt, anyone know what is next to check? as the coil packs and plugs are fine.

On another note I've ended up getting a race team (AK Automotive) to build me a Mazda MX-5 to race in the Mazda MX-5 championship.http://www.brsccmazda.com/

Started life like this last week:

And today it is getting painted ready for my first race at Anglesey next weekend, full supported by AK Automotive.

This meant I had to get myself kitted out, and thanks to Grand Prix Racewear for a very quick delivery even though they had a bit of stitching to do Big grin

Also had to get a GoPro because the championship I'm running in requires it in case of any disputes for incidents and its also needed for television as the races are broadcast on Motors TV and full length races on YouTube. And I'll post all my races on my YouTube channel. It will also come in handy for tuition from the other drivers in the team.

I was also planning on getting a trailer but won't need one for a while as the lads that are looking after the car will be transporting it to the races for me in the 7.5ton race truck or trailer it on the back of the motorhome. I've also managed to blah a camper van for the weekend.

Got a test day on Friday before the race so I can get used to RWD as I've never had it before and never driven a MX-5! A spare slot on Saturday means we have been allowed a free-practice before Qualifying for the first time so I should be up to speed by then. If anyone is at the track at the weekend comeover and say hi and have a brew, I'll be number 188.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 27th Jul 2013 at 20:46

Pages (4): first .. 2 3 [4]