displaying posts 1 to 25 of 741

Pages (30): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: S16Turbo, Here we go again!
Takedown

Senior User

Post #1
Well finally and thx to Ash from the 306oc forum i can post here, been reading alot from this forum and even better that i can reply now Wink
Nice to be here!

Ill keep my projectprogress here, so the first posts will be copy/paste work so things can look a bit weird or some text is kinde confusing, sorro for that

Here goes!

Ive bought a 1994 S16 with a homemade Turbokit , consisting out of VEMS enginemanagement and mapped by DP Engineering, IHI VF35 Turbo, FMIC, homemade 2.5 inch DP, and manifold

Car was mapped @ 280, couldnt go higher because of 100% injector cycle duty, made almost 320BHP on the dynapack @ DP Engineering, but was set down, injectors were to small.
This was also with plastic S16 inletmanifold, stock exhaust!
Inlet is now switched for the alloy GTi-6 and 2.5 inch Simons exhaust.

The car was quite quick, but hasnt been to DP again for a remap along with the 660cc injectors,could make easily 340+ on this VF35 setup... but i had other plans!! pmsl

Heres when ive picked up the car.
IHI VF35 Turbo

Turbo manifold

Downpipe 2.5 inch, its works oke....But we can do better!
Sporting brand new orginal 17" Hockemheims with brandnew Toyo T1R, doesnt look IMHO, so i already sourced a set of 17" black Team Dynamics ProRace 3

Slammed on the ProRace 3s

Looks alot better in the flesh.
Ive redid the 407 Brembos (330mm discs) and put on some new stickers

Looks quite nice behind the black TDs

Since im nog intending on using the VF35 IHI turbo,and a few calls to Pieter from DP Engineering.....Uhmm i bought me some presents for the new project

Tial Q BOV
Tial MVS 38mm Wastegate (yeah baby, SCREEEEEEAAAMERPIPE)

Since theres going to be a custom cage fitted in december, ive already stripped out the rearseats

Some random shots

[/b]

[b]Testfitting the ALL MIGHTY T16 badge

In the mean time ive also got this....

DP Engineering "Welders Nightmare" Turbo manifold

It came from my friends project car ( ZX 16v Turbo with GT28RS)

GT28RS fitted, versus the new Turbo for this project.... GT3071R :waytogo::waytogo:

DP Engineering 3" Downpipe... i call that thing ANACONDA, is ****ing huge!!!

Both Tials are a true work of art, almost a shame to put them on the car.

In the mean time ive did some small mods to the car already to make it a bit more personal and to my taste
QSP suede racing steeringwheel fitted, along with the new gauges, white facia, and AEM AFR

Testfitting the new seats, (with wood and a brickBig grin)

Well enough bulls**t and time to get this project rolling

putting the car on stands

[/b]

[b]Going good!!

Also had some stickers made up, to go along with the T16 Badge, and yes i couldnt wait to try them on..... hahah

Some more goodies
MPM 10w50 RACE OIL

NGK BKR7E pluggs

Welcome to TIAL HEAVEN! small fortune on the table)

Last hour of the evening doing some small things to the car...

Byebye small intercooler

Rad with 2 x SPAL fan

Making progress,loom and VEMS removed

A friend started with my enginecover.

[/b]

[b]He will also make me a new catchcan,and will do some more welding for me

For so far this is it, tomorrow well start to remove the complete engine, i will post new pics this weekend, new intercooler has arrived, also bought some carbon mirrorcaps from SPOOX..

I hope you guys find this interesting and i will update this a good as i can, BHP goal is around 400/420BHP , i think thatll be more than enough in the old Frenchs**tbox

Well,my mate called me on saturday saying he didnt feel that well, so we decided not to work on the car.
spend the evening on the couch watching a movie on the beamer.

New intercooler had arrived , alot bigger then the old one, so lets have a looksy...
Old vs NEW

Will come a bit lower, but lets see how big this baby is

Also attacked the boot with some black rattlecans, it looks a lot cleaner now, will be removing the rest of the boot this week.

Ive decided to keep the frontcarpet, a custom boltin cage will be tailormade next month,still contemplating on what colour for the cage, but the winner for now is white

Still waiting for my carbonfiber mirrorcaps to arrive from Spoon and ive bought a carbonfiber NACA duct for the bonnet
[/b]

[b]Testfitted the IC , and everything seems to fit very nicely

Looking good!

Nick from ANE Sports is coming today to measure the customcage for the 306, and it will be finished in 3-4 weeks... 6 point with some niceness!

Early Xmax present!!
DP Engineering Intake manifold

Ce inside!!!!!!!

THis saturday the engine will finally come out and then we can get this project moving!
Haha QSP steeringwheel is cheaper i think, quality is good!
Mine was used from a previous project, so i had a nice shower with it and a breadknife, rubbed al the grease out with the back of the knife under the shower.
Was the longest shower ive ever had, came out as uncle Tom (blck as fcuk) and the misses kicked my ass for redoing the shower in black instead of nice cleany white, Wink

I forgot to giving the mainthing in this project any credit and that is Mr Garret -->
brandnew GT3071R, spools up 1000 revs sooner than the old GT30 and is offcourse BB.
Where the GT28RS will run slightly out of breath on maxrevs especially on topspeed/highwayruns, this is where the GT30 kicks some serious ass, midrange and topend is great.
Choice was easy... no way in hell ill get my ass handed to me on a highway encounter with mr Porsche Wink

A long with the piece of art intake

Internal Wastegate, we need to weld this baby shut, its common for bigger turbos with internal wastegate to suffer from boostcreep, the I wastegate cant hold boost then in higher gears, and creeps up, causing you to run more boost than you can afford and aah you get the picture.

So thats where the Tial MVS stepps in, they hold boost period! without creeping or whatsoever.

Normal oilfeed for normal turbo

Since this is a Ballbearing turbo you need a reducer

Spot the difference
By not doing this, you can throw your turbo in the bin before even installing is, cause it will be a waste of time, the turbo will not live long!
Friend of mine had this, a new turbo didnt last for 80 miles!!!!!!! just because of not using the reducer.

There goes a nice amount of money into the small bits and pieces like reducer,AN fittings and these kind of things...

AN10 fittings for my modded rockercover

Will be also getting a makeover by using VHT wrinkle paint, very nice stuff!

Last week the duct came in, finish was quite bad, paid some serious money for this and almost kicked it straight into the bin.

Needs some serious sanding and a few new coats of clear, then ill have to see how it comes out and if im gonna use it

Cheers
Well, now with the correct tool for the driveshafts, we had the engine out in notime....
Didnt make pics of that cause we all can imagine what a enginebay looks like without engine... indeed a greasy dirty mess!

When we had the engine out we testfitted the DP engineering stuff along with the turbo, turbohousing needs to be turned... but thats for later... we have to find the best spot for the tial wastegate (to bad you wont be seeing this piece of art)

So not to many flashy stuff for today, but here a some testfitting pics, note engine is very very dirty, and will get a good clean... rockercover needs to be changed for the new one, new timebelt , waterpump etc etc.

Enjoy

DP turbomanifold and 3inch DP downpipe, see how nicely they flow next to eachother without touching.....

Since today also finally my carbonfiber mirrorcaps arrived from Spoox Motorsport... they advertise them real nice with clear coat on them... however you get them @ home without the clear coat so your fcked to to it yourself... so out comes the rattlecan and the hairdryer of the mrs, and lets have a go.

ive testfitted them quick and fitment isnt 100%... i think they look nice when the car is finished , but i think theyre also overpriced like 8 or 9 times!
I wont recommend them for the money thats for sure

Next up is seat fitting, since ive got some OMP basemounts from my mates ZX (gt28rs Turbo) and i want to see if they fit the 306....
Im gonna clean the enginebay next week and hope i can tighten things up a bit.
And going to paint some stuff in the back once again,before the rollcage gets here...

Well me and my mate started with fitting the seats, SPARCO sliderframes... to make a long story short, they fit nicely with some redrilling of the RECARO adapters..

But however since the SPARCO are sliders, they sit 4.5/5cm to high, so im gonna flex the sliderpart of the SPARCO frames,and weld of bolt the RECARO adapters on the base mounts and voila , ive got my 5cm back then...

Here are some pics of the to high sitting seats.... i will tackle that problem this weekend.

Looks good, sit good, but 5cm to high.. that means more work to do Wink
Well been ordering some stuff lately

New timingbelt,waterpump, and some small things... going to bring some stuff away to get welded etc..

Redid my rocker cover with VHT wrinkle black... turned out quite nice!

Bought a D1 spec quick release, very good quality for the money!
and good thing it brings the steeringwheel an additional 65mm closer!

Bought some 63mm alu intercoolerpiping...

And since i like to make some videoclips of an old frenchmeatball blowing the doors of Porsches etc, ive bought myself a GoPro2 Motorsports Edition early for Xmas Wink

Well change of plans,ive bought me some other seats....

Sparco EVO 2 and i absolutely love em!

And ive ditched the new white gauges, and went for the Prosport EVO digital gauges
* BOOST
* OILTEMP
* OILPRESS
* Wideband AFR full kit

Made a new gaugepanel for the prosports that just got in.... just to bad, they forgot to put in the AFR gauge along with the widebandkit :S

First time i saw these gauges i fell in love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfvDBA1DBI0

And ive bought new suspension , the yellow konis that are under the car are perfect! but i need to lower it a bit more , so
KW V2 is on its way...

new pics this weekend!
Also had my wategate Vband welded on the manifold today, great job!

Some quick shots, notice the Evos Wink

We had a nice saturdayevening fiddling around with the car, Superman Marvin came around and did the timingbelt,waterpump etc, we swapped the rockercover, all new gaskets and bits,fitted the new plugs

Old rockercover

Off with it..
Nicely from the inside (engine was revised 7000km ago, so nothing strange here Wink

Nice big haystack is our workingtable... perfect working height Wink

Another fine small workingtable

Worktable opened

Shiny bits.....KW V2 inox

Looking a lot hansomer this old frenchgarlicmeatball

Random cool pic of this epic barn build Wink Smile

Yes! i know i need to clean the place... lol

Time to lay the DP inlet in her bed and call it a night...

Hopefully next week the fullcage gets here... then we can fit it during xmasbreak, gonna tackle the seatframes tomorrow

So more to come soon!
Well ordered a complete SACHS RACE clutch today, wich will take with the HD pressureplate and the 4 paddle sinter/sprung plate 600nm

And ive brought the 18inch wheels to the painter to have them painted in a VAG colour... should be ready on friday and i cant wait to see them finished
Had the tires fitted two weeks ago.. Toyo Proxes T1R in 205/35/18

Pics soon...
The Te37s are painted today, here are two pics the paintshop send me

I will pick them up tomorrow, put on the new decals and then ill make some shots

and no thats not glossy black Wink
Picked up the freshly painted wheels today.. Black magic with a very small bronze metallic, only notice it a bit in the direct sunlight, other then than they look BLACK

Finished one seatframe yesterday evening,going at the other one tomorrow.... tomorrow some more pics
Hahaha umm my girldfriendsdad has got an Old English Mastiff, that guy is 104 kilo!!!! check google for pics!

Well i was enjoying my breakfast when UPS stood @ the door with some presents...

Sachs Heavy Duty platecover
Sachs 4 paddle sintermetallic sprung plate
combine those and those should be good for around 600nm according to SACHS
Jake is right, 205/35/18 Toyo Proxes T1R, the expensive 205 f**kers!!!!!!! :S

Removed the gearbox today with Marvin, we were going to fit the new clutch tomorrow but we checked everything and the crankshaftbearing on the gearboxside is fcked!
I dont think ill have a new one by tomorrow, but who knows.
Went searching for some parts that i could use in my friends garage (ZX turbo GT28RS DP engineering) and came up with 2 boostpipes that are almost perfect for me to use (since its 95% same setup)
Attacked them with some scotchbride, and they look shiny shiny again Wink and yes i need to replace the clamps

Were gonna install the new gauges tomorrow, maybe remove the koni suspension, need to pick up the DP, welded an extra wblamda fitting.

Enough to do Wink

Superman Marvin wired my gauges today, all nice and clean now plugplay trough the radioconnectorplug....

Good thing i dont have to do this myself, cause we would have a nice xmasfire then Wink

The BE4 gearbox converted to normale pressureplate type, instead of the pulltype that the S16 uses... swap a few parts and voila....

Had the 2nd wideband bung welded to the downpipe

What a mess..

Installed the carbon mirrorcaps last week, they dont fit that good, but its a racecar.... so guess well just have to do with it

You can see how dusty it is in the barn, because the haystack is just beside of the car....
Got bored Wink

Some shiny new bits...

Also had a quick testfit at the rear with the new 18s.... i can say.. will look very HOT!!!

This weekend more pics, and one big update! its time to CAGE THE BEAST!!!!!!!!!

Well the cagebuilders send me some pics of the cage in the making...

And ive decided to quit the Turboproject...... cause im going ROCKET BOOST !!!!!! b**ch! Wink

Cage is finished!

Last two pics before paint!

So that is almost 2.5 MONTHS OF OWNING Wink

Tonight theyll bring my cage, and then well fit it during xmasbreak, so expect some nice shots in the few coming days..

Wish you guys already a nice xmas and happy newyear!
Posted 9th Aug 2013 at 11:45
marco gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Goed bezig Paul Thumbs up
Nice to have you around here finally looking forward to see this in the flesh come spring Wink
My 6 is already off to the UK for the low boost conversion. Keep us posted and have a nice Christmas.
Posted 24th Dec 2012 at 10:50
Takedown

Senior User

Post #3
Heya Marco! bedankt!

Well meet somewhere around spring for some fundriving Wink

Did you send your car to the UK?

Posted 24th Dec 2012 at 11:37
mark s

Junior User

Post #4
Awesome project! Keep the updates comming!
Posted 24th Dec 2012 at 11:57
marco gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Takedown wrote:
Heya Marco! bedankt!

Well meet somewhere around spring for some fundriving Wink

Did you send your car to the UK?

Yep dropped it of in dover where it got collected by Carl aka MechanicalRepairs Thumbs up
Posted 24th Dec 2012 at 14:04
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #6
Nice Project Big grin
shame the steering wheel is on the wrong side though! LOL

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 24th Dec 2012 at 14:18
JWP EFi

Turbo Legend!

Post #7
are you using head stud and nut conversion with the decompression

plate as opposed to bolts?

Great project btw!
Posted 24th Dec 2012 at 14:28
JWP EFi

Turbo Legend!

Post #8
also, what boost pressure were you running with previous setup? i'm slowly gathering parts for my

conversion, recently bought a recon'd Garrett T3 but have been looking at the IHI VF35 because

the exhaust housing flange is more suited to my setup
Posted 24th Dec 2012 at 14:43
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
fair play. pretty epic build!

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 24th Dec 2012 at 15:50
Takedown

Senior User

Post #10
Im not using a decompression plate, ive got a coper headgasket and modded and weighed pistons

Ive just sold my previous setup with the VF35, turbo is great! there would have been 340/350 in it easily.

T99PUG, do yourself a favour and just drop Pieter an email from DP engineering, he can tell you a lot!
Posted 24th Dec 2012 at 16:22
JWP EFi

Turbo Legend!

Post #11
i spoke with him a while back when i first thought about turboing, i decided against a decomp

plate,my latest idea is to use a 1.9TD 88mm stroke crank, 152mm RGX con rods and GTI6

pistons, this will see 8.1:1 CR. Just out of curiousity, how much did you machine off your pistons?
Posted 24th Dec 2012 at 16:46
Takedown

Senior User

Post #12
Heya bro, im sorry i dont know the previous owner did that as that was his job.
But dont be hesistant to use the sandwich method, thats what 95% use of the turbocharged Peugs here in Holland
Posted 24th Dec 2012 at 16:56
JWP EFi

Turbo Legend!

Post #13
i know the sandwich plates have been used alot, but i don't know if i could rely on it, i mean there

is a chance it may blow between the block and the plate and then possibly between the plate and

gasket. Think i would prefer to lower the CR via altering the internals then just use a decent std

MLS gasket.

How did the VF35 perform at high rpm?, was there a dip before the red line or did it pull right through

also did you find it excessively laggy?
Posted 24th Dec 2012 at 17:10
mike rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
wow brilliant project. a lot of hrs has gone into all of this.

keep up the good work ,and the pics coming
Posted 24th Dec 2012 at 17:27
FatBastard

Regular

Post #15
Good stuff, mate! Very impressive.

I also need a good clutch to replace my Helix one. But checking Sachs site i could not find a clutch which is rated 600nm.
Posted 24th Dec 2012 at 17:39
Takedown

Senior User

Post #16
T99PUG, the VF35 is a great turbo! spools very quick, and pulled like a train.... is a good "budget" choice... and you wont be dissapointed with it.
As for the sandwichplates, i dont know of any who had problems like what you are saying, the 466BHP 106 on stock engine still goes like a mofo after more then 3 years, and that car gets ABUSED a lot.
My mates ZX turbo was on decompplate, with absolute no problems and trust me you wont be blowing 2 gaskets and a compplate soon!!!

thx for the compliments, im awaiting the cage, wich will be here in an hour or 2, and yes ill post pics!

Fatbas**rd, or T99 if you have more questions, just drop me an email: PaulGTR@hotmail.com

Cheers Paul

@ Fatbas**rd, ive got a new OMP uprated clutchcover somewhere around here in the mess, its brandnew, fit that with a OMP plate or SACHS plate and youre good to go.

People tend to look way to much in what specs the clutchplate is, but even more important is the coverplate,

Ive driven SACHS before, and the guys from Biesheuvel motorsport (SACHS distributor for the Netherlands) uses also SACHS in their projects.
They use 450nm specced clutch for quite a while now @ 732NM! and thats with 4x4 so that means even more work for the clutch.
They said it wouldnt have any trouble @ 500+ nm!

If you need the sachs part nrs just look at my first pictures or drop me an email and i will get back to you.
It wil be good for lots of torque more then what theyre specced, ha always been the case with the Sachs race clutches.

Well Santa showed up with my custom made cage! yeah!!!!

well pleased with it... going to have a go at it tomorrow..

Posted 24th Dec 2012 at 18:23
Takedown

Senior User

Post #17
Also bought me another seat.... why? uhmm good question, just couldnt let this one pass.

Costs new almost 1000 euro! full carbon/kevlar, alu sidemounts from OMP ( 105 euro pair)

And it is brandspanking new... will make some pics when it arrives here

Posted 24th Dec 2012 at 21:25
JWP EFi

Turbo Legend!

Post #18
this project just gets better....
Posted 24th Dec 2012 at 21:32
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Thats a random place to buy a new seat... in the middle of a high street?

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 24th Dec 2012 at 22:08
FatBastard

Regular

Post #20
Whats the advantage of the DP intake manifold over OEM GTI6?
The GTI6 one is a masterpiece, almost. With trumpets and all.
Posted 25th Dec 2012 at 00:37
Takedown

Senior User

Post #21
Accordingly to several rollingsessions (also by Colling @ ATS), they claim almost +- 40BHP @ 1.0 bar

@ Rich306, hahaahah.... nah you idiot Wink
Posted 25th Dec 2012 at 09:17
FatBastard

Regular

Post #22
Nice.
What about the coils, are they up for the ignition task of your power requirements?
I use NGK plugs 2 levels colder, btw.
BKR8EIX Iridium IX
Posted 25th Dec 2012 at 11:05
Takedown

Senior User

Post #23
Pieter from DP told me to explicity run the simpel copper ones

NGK BKR7E

They use it with all their turbocharged projects..
Posted 25th Dec 2012 at 15:11
FatBastard

Regular

Post #24
Did he explain you why? Your's are 1 level colder, i guess.
Posted 25th Dec 2012 at 15:32
Takedown

Senior User

Post #25
Well ........... the cage, i love custom cages.... it fits like s**t on a shovel!!!!!!!

Theyre coming over next Sunday and sort it out, from what ive seen they can do a new cage except for the 2 small rearlegs.

So project cage is on hold! it looks ace, but fitment is uhmmm :S
Posted 25th Dec 2012 at 15:33

Pages (30): [1] 2 3 .. last

This thread has been locked