displaying posts 1 to 20 of 20

Author Subject: L.E.D bulb thread
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
i seen a discovery 3 the other day and it had all these cool led bulbs in the fogs and the sidelights and it looked really cool, so ive been looking at the options for the 6, was going to start by changing the sidelights for leds then maybe the indicators, side repeaters, number plate and interior lights but there is just so may different bulbs out there and most have different colour options eg, the choice is huge so i thought that we could all share our pics and opinions on a thread.
i started by ordering 3 different types of bulbs, which i will list below when i get some pics taken, the blue ones i bought are just way to blue/purple and the others well they are good but the colour is slightly different between the pair Sad
the pair i like the most have huge colour/shade differences so they will be going back.
ill go out and have a play with them and the camera when ive had my tea.
has anybody else tried any and which ones, any pics eg?
andy

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 12th Nov 2012 at 19:06
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Is this a joke because you really think they look s**t?

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 12th Nov 2012 at 20:43
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
each to their own owain. monkeyman did a thread if i member right

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 12th Nov 2012 at 20:51
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
No, I genuinely couldn't tell. Most threads are about "gay LEDs" and such, I've never known anyone have such enthusiasm for them.

If Andy wants to make his car looks like a Christmas tree, who am I to comment Dunno

Posted 12th Nov 2012 at 20:53
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Well my research has uncovered that the camera on iPhone is complete and utter LOL

but seriously they look really good, the bright white ones in the sidelights are a massive improvement to the s**tty yellow things, now I will admit that the blue ones looked really chavvy, but the bright white ones look smart as the sidelights and are much brighter than the s**tty standard yellow bulbs.
There is just so many different bulbs and Options that I think a thread with them all on will help anybody trying to choose there bulbs, but the iPhone camera won't pick it up enough.

Moonstone phase 7 gti6
Posted 12th Nov 2012 at 21:31
sarahsix

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I have l.e.d bulbs above my rear numberplate on the audi...Gaz has gone the whole hog and changed every interior bulb in rolf the golf Roll eyes

keep the machinery between the greenery

R766JKV nile blue gti6 - sold Sad
V634DLR black gti6 - sold
Now driving a skoda furby vrs - for sale
Currently piloting an Audi a3 sportback
Posted 12th Nov 2012 at 21:38
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
All I do know is that not all LEDs that work or fit are legal - they needs to be CE marked and road-legal, else you can get points.

Posted 12th Nov 2012 at 21:40
sarahsix

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Well they really show off the fact that my numberplate is too dirty to read so p.c plod could really go to town on my ass...good job theyre way too lazy round here Wink

keep the machinery between the greenery

R766JKV nile blue gti6 - sold Sad
V634DLR black gti6 - sold
Now driving a skoda furby vrs - for sale
Currently piloting an Audi a3 sportback
Posted 12th Nov 2012 at 21:43
rikky 🦔

Post #9
also you'll have to wire in resistors at a guess as the indicators will be double rate due to voltage

I spoke to monkeyman ages ago about them and in the end he changed back IIRC because of the above and also bulbs kept melting

(I dd want to do this too)

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 12th Nov 2012 at 21:46
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
a lot of them have resistors built into them, the ones ive put in the sidelights dont get as hot as the staandard bulb, ive got some photos and its really hard to tell there leds, they just look brighter and more white, ive put the blue ones in the interior lights!
but really there is just so many options that it would be nice to see what each one looks like before buying.
ill get the pics up tmmrw but i really need a better camera

Moonstone phase 7 gti6
Posted 12th Nov 2012 at 21:58
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #11
Just bought some white 501's for the number plate lights. The DRL on the S60 go through bulbs like nobody's business. Bloody annoying.

Replaced the incandescent 501's three times in the last couple of months. Angry
Hoping the LED's last longer...
Posted 12th Nov 2012 at 22:03
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
tompaltridge wrote:
Just bought some white 501's for the number plate lights. The DRL on the S60 go through bulbs like nobody's business. Bloody annoying.

Replaced the incandescent 501's three times in the last couple of months. Angry
Hoping the LED's last longer...

Any pics?

Moonstone phase 7 gti6
Posted 3rd Feb 2013 at 15:52
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
i replaced my entire 306 with (cheap chinease ebay bought) leds, cab lights, dash lights, indicators, front and rear bulbs. everything bar the main beams and main lights. i worked out if i replaced every 5w bulb with a 1 watt white led bulb i would save around 120watts of electricity (0.16bhp released!!!!)

good points were apart from the power increase Razz.......bulbs were brighter and added a newer brighter look to the car without chavvyness of lexus lights etc.

i found the cheaper bulbs were incorrect resistance so indicators flashed like an exhibitionist untill i added a resistors.

this wasnt a problem with any light that didnt flash.

another problem was the rear breaklight leds which were are originally a two filament bulb. with the led my friends remarked it was very difficult to notice the break lights coming on while driving at night with the led bulb. i eventually went back to normal bulbs for the break lights as i was worried of being rear ended.

all in all i spent time effort and money on something that had a very minimal effect. the main bonus was as i said, the brightness of the newer bulbs especially the dash lights added a more modern feel to the cab. other than that i spent/wasted a day getting to know my car

hope this helps

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 3rd Feb 2013 at 16:10
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
oh i almost forgot, some of the smaller dash bulbs do not come with marked polarity.

so theres a 50/50 chance you will install them the wrong way and they wont work untill you swap em round. or get anal with a multimeter to prevent this

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 3rd Feb 2013 at 16:13
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Waste of time then?
May just do the sidelights, I liked the pair of bulbs I bought trouble was they didn't match each other so I sent em back

Moonstone phase 7 gti6
Posted 3rd Feb 2013 at 16:34
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #16
I'll try to get a picture later.

Replacing all your lights with LED's will look s**t. Not to mention canbus problems on some cars unless you get the correct LED's. Changing your incandescent interior bulbs is a big no-no: the originals have a nice warm yellow glow and will fade up and down like they're supposed to. LED's will simply turn on and off sharply and act as silly flood lights. Nobody needs this. If you're blind, stop driving. If you like silly flood-lit interiors, shoot yourself.
LED's are not better than incandescent bulbs in all situations.

We have put the LED 501's in the non-canbus number plate lights (and will also do so for some side marker lights) because they're constantly popping with the DRL usage and I'm sick of changing them.
Posted 3rd Feb 2013 at 16:44
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Iv fitted a 9 led bulb and what a difference they made, had trouble making them work so played around with the metal connection wires and they worked fine.

I wouldnt bother with indicators, main nor brakes lights but like the interior light to have one, off to ebay now lol.

What type does the 6 use for the interior light?

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 3rd Feb 2013 at 16:57
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
501 bulbs

Phase 2 Blaze GTi 6 (Standard) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged China GTi 6 (249.8 BHP) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged Diablo GTi 6 (443 BHP)Sold
Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 3rd Feb 2013 at 21:04
rikky 🦔

Post #19
beez_neez_gt wrote:
Iv fitted a 9 led bulb and what a difference they made, had trouble making them work so played around with the metal connection wires and they worked fine.

I wouldnt bother with indicators, main nor brakes lights but like the interior light to have one, off to ebay now lol.

What type does the 6 use for the interior light?

dont' forget the LED's are polarity sensitive so putting them in the wrong way round will make them appear broken until you rotate them 180º

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 3rd Feb 2013 at 21:06
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
Yes i knew that, it would not work either way so as said i messed about with the connection wires both ways and eventually they worked, had to move the wires over quite a bit. However the yellow ones i have fitted and worked straight the way so.

Cheers

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 4th Feb 2013 at 01:25