displaying posts 1 to 25 of 51

Pages (3): [1] 2 3

Author Subject: Figuring Bucket seats
Matt_rallye

Regular

Post #1
Right getting some bucket seats, ordered the appropriate base, will they need any adjustment to fit?

Just wondering how buckets are normally fixed/fitted?

Also are buckets mot-able? No they need to slide forward etc to pass?
Posted 25th Aug 2012 at 22:12
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
My buckets are fully fixed. Passed several MOT's, most recent last month

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 25th Aug 2012 at 22:17
Matt_rallye

Regular

Post #3
Thats a good think then, how did you fix them? Existing fitting holes or drilling into the floor?
Posted 25th Aug 2012 at 22:22
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Mine, like most are side mounted. Mounts pick up the original points on the tunnel and welded in a bar to take up the other side mount. Look at my project thread, thers a pic in there somewhere.

If you've got some base/subframe then I would imagine that would pick up the horizontal points on the sill as well as the those on 'transmition' tunnel

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 25th Aug 2012 at 22:27
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I cant imagine drilling into the floor is a great idea!

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 25th Aug 2012 at 22:28
Matt_rallye

Regular

Post #6
This is what I was thinking, drilling floor no fun! I haven't seen what mounts they are as a mate of mine has ordered them for me as he was getting some for himself. So not sure how these ones will fit. I'm hoping that it's a case of using most of the original mounting points
Posted 25th Aug 2012 at 22:33
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
If they're "standard" mounts then you'll need seat tubes welded in, if they were about £70 a pair from DT then they might be the pug-specific ones with sliders.

Do they have sliders or not? If not it's seat tube time. Do not under any circumstances bolt them to the floor unless you fancy dying as soon as you crash.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 25th Aug 2012 at 22:48
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
U can bolt them to the floor if u make proper plates/anchor points

Posted 25th Aug 2012 at 23:00
darzmat

Senior User

Post #9
owain wrote:
Do not under any circumstances bolt them to the floor unless you fancy dying as soon as you crash.

im going to show this quote to my mate, as he has a pug 106 rally car( its not completed yet) and his seats are bolted to the floor i told him before that it didnt look right/secure

1997 blaze GTI-6 bought january '11 £800

Spend to date on parts £827.88

Posted 25th Aug 2012 at 23:00
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Does he not think there's a reason that Peugeot put massive great reinforcements wherever they attach a seat?

As if, perhaps, the crappy French tin the bodywork is made of isn't designed to take the hundreds of kilos of force your body would put on it in a crash, pulling the bolts out like the top of a tin of tuna, and putting all your momentum through your now-powdered ribs and collapsed lungs as they're crushed by your seat belt?

Good luck to the guy Thumbs up

Posted 25th Aug 2012 at 23:05
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #11
If you reinforce the floor correctly it's fine, but it you just bolt through 0.7mm thick tin with 4 penny washers to hold your seat in then you are asking for trouble.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 25th Aug 2012 at 23:06
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
daveyboy wrote:
If you reinforce the floor correctly it's fine, but it you just bolt through 0.7mm thick tin with 4 penny washers to hold your seat in then you are asking for trouble.

Exactly, and it doesn't sound like he's done it properly. Bolting mounts to seat bars leaves the seats about as low as you'd want to go, if you went straight into the floor I can't imagine you'd even be able to see over the steering wheel Dunno

Posted 25th Aug 2012 at 23:08
darzmat

Senior User

Post #13
owain wrote:
daveyboy wrote:

Exactly, and it doesn't sound like he's done it properly. Bolting mounts to seat bars leaves the seats about as low as you'd want to go, if you went straight into the floor I can't imagine you'd even be able to see over the steering wheel Dunno

his seats have omp side mounts and that gives him the height he needs, i think he is planning to reinforce the floor a bit,

when i say a bit, i mean he's welding in metal squares but im pretty sure they are only 2x2 or 3x3 inches.

Posted 26th Aug 2012 at 03:42
Matt_rallye

Regular

Post #14
braymond wrote:
Mine, like most are side mounted. Mounts pick up the original points on the tunnel and welded in a bar to take up the other side mount. Look at my project thread, thers a pic in there somewhere.

If you've got some base/subframe then I would imagine that would pick up the horizontal points on the sill as well as the those on 'transmition' tunnel

Just checked you project, the way you mount yours is probably how I'll do it!
So there's two parts too the mounting? The part that bolts to the chair, and then that bolts to some cross bars? Do they use the original mounts? And where do you get these parts from lol
Posted 26th Aug 2012 at 08:59
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
darzmat wrote:
when i say a bit, i mean he's welding in metal squares but im pretty sure they are only 2x2 or 3x3 inches.

Does the guy not value his life or something then?

Let's give an example of the kind of forces your chest would be subjected to if your seat came free in a crash. Say you crashed at 70mph - possible on roads but quite likely on track. Yes, the force of pulling the seat from the shell would slow you a bit, depends how big the plates are. Now, you're essentially free from the car, and it's just your seatbelt stopping you. Seatbelt isn't going anywhere, it's sensibly bolted to big reinforced bits of car.

If I tied you from a fixed-length (i.e. non-elastic) body harness, and dropped you at 70mph - would you enjoy the bit where you ran out of rope? The bit where your entire body slows from 70mph to 0 in about two inches, entirely by the straps across your chest?

That's the force you'd be putting through you if you crashed and your seat came loose. Don't fancy that much.

Posted 26th Aug 2012 at 10:20
darzmat

Senior User

Post #16
owain wrote:
darzmat wrote:

Does the guy not value his life or something then?

Let's give an example of the kind of forces your chest would be subjected to if your seat came free in a crash. Say you crashed at 70mph - possible on roads but quite likely on track. Yes, the force of pulling the seat from the shell would slow you a bit, depends how big the plates are. Now, you're essentially free from the car, and it's just your seatbelt stopping you. Seatbelt isn't going anywhere, it's sensibly bolted to big reinforced bits of car.

If I tied you from a fixed-length (i.e. non-elastic) body harness, and dropped you at 70mph - would you enjoy the bit where you ran out of rope? The bit where your entire body slows from 70mph to 0 in about two inches, entirely by the straps across your chest?

That's the force you'd be putting through you if you crashed and your seat came loose. Don't fancy that much.

yes i know, i understand all this, but there's just no telling him, hes the one that think he knows everything. i think his main problem is he doesnt have access to the internet to find out what other people do, all he's got is the blue book. (but im pretty sure it would state that there has to be some sort of mount).

and according to him "he drove his car that hard previously it ripped the two back mounts of the drivers seat out" so i dont understnd how he thinks bolting them to the floor is going to be better/safer

Posted 26th Aug 2012 at 10:42
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
darzmat wrote:
"he drove his car that hard previously it ripped the two back mounts of the drivers seat out" so i dont understnd how he thinks bolting them to the floor is going to be better/safer

Remind me not to accept lifts from that guy LOL

Posted 26th Aug 2012 at 10:43
Matt_rallye

Regular

Post #18
He sounds like a douche.

Does anyone know where I can find 306 specific bases for buckets that army going to cost the earth to buy? Or know an easy way to have some knocked up?
Posted 26th Aug 2012 at 12:10
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Matt_rallye wrote:
He sounds like a douche.

Does anyone know where I can find 306 specific bases for buckets that army going to cost the earth to buy? Or know an easy way to have some knocked up?

If you don't want to have seat tubes welded in the Demon Tweeks are pretty much the only option I've heard of, you'll need to phone them up though as they're not on the website.

Does also mean you can then adjust the seats to suit different drivers.

Posted 26th Aug 2012 at 13:20
dum-dum

Regular

Post #20
If you weld to the floor youll struggle to see over the steering wheel unless your well over 6ft tall

Bianca GTi6 on Gold wheels. Let the haters hate.
Posted 26th Aug 2012 at 18:39
darzmat

Senior User

Post #21
Matt_rallye wrote:
He sounds like a douche.

kam racing have various seat mounts for the 306.

Posted 26th Aug 2012 at 19:44
7057sam

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
My cobra mounts work a treat and have harness points on them.

Rallye build: 11 November 1998 - a Wednesday
Team rallye,built for track
----Click this if you like rallyes

Rallye dead Sad
Secret Team Astor...
Posted 26th Aug 2012 at 20:26
Matt_rallye

Regular

Post #23
Sad the kam racing one is only showing omp at the moment, and at £100 +
Posted 27th Aug 2012 at 07:58
Matt_rallye

Regular

Post #24
Sad the kam racing one is only showing omp at the moment, and at £100 +
Posted 27th Aug 2012 at 08:07
Matt_rallye

Regular

Post #25
Kam racing have the omp one listed

http://www.kamracing.co.uk/peugeot/peugeot-306/interior/seat-subframes-accessories/peugeot-306-omp-seat-subframe.html

These suitable for cobra seats?
Posted 27th Aug 2012 at 11:44

Pages (3): [1] 2 3