displaying posts 1 to 24 of 24

Author Subject: How much will I get for my tapper?
2crooky

Post #1
Hi guys....

Well due to lack of research by myself and not having owned a french car for a good 8 years....I realise I have bought a tapper.

Car has a good spec level but is it worth breaking or trying to sell as a whole. Basically trying to make at least 3/4 of my money back!!

P reg
140k on chassis
Blaze yellow
70k on engine
Gas flowed head - no receipts of engine work....typical!(I take it as though it hasn't been done but I don't think it would run this well with 140k
FSH - Massive massive amount of history.....every MOT and tax disc, stacks of paperwork from past 3 owners

Solid rear beam mounts
Adjustable rose jointed front drop links
Uprated rear ARB
Gmax suspension lowered 30mm - 6 months old
New brakes all round
New clutch
Cambelt kit and water pump 11k ago

Scorpion cat back exhaust
Hi flow sports cat
Induction kit - unknown
16" black team dynamics pro race 1.2
Toyo Proxes T1r tyres

Sony head unit
Knwood door speakers
Vibe FLI 6x9's
Heko smoked wind deflectors
Momo steering wheel

Phase 3 front and rear lights
Smoked side repeaters
Phase 3 front door cards
Rallye glove box
Colour coded front badge
Professional paint correction/mop a few months back

With the above spec I need £725 back to not feel totally destroyed! Question is will I get that as a whole for a tapper or best to take it appart?

Such a shame to be honest...

What do you guys reckon is the best bet?
Alex
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 23:31
2crooky

Post #2
This isn't a for sale ad in case people were thinking, just listing the spec and showing the car.....

Alex
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 23:34
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #3
Worth 700 all day long mate.if you were closer i'd have it off you myself

Best thing to do is just keep it and drive it.know someone with a "tapper" and did 40k trouble free miles in the car
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 23:35
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #4
It's a shame as it looks a tidy car from the pics, I take it you particularly looking to sell it? Or were you looking to sell because it's a tapper??

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 23:40
2crooky

Post #5
Cheers mate,

Annoys me as it is awesome to drive but my work doesn't allow me the time to do any head work myself should the time come...I'm used to jap scrap that rusts but plods on and on haha.

SO much fun to drive but my lack of in depth knowledge of them scares me.....I went french as I need a hot hatch to take me to the alps for my next ski season but looks like I might revert back to jap.
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 23:42
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #6
2crooky wrote:
Cheers mate,

Annoys me as it is awesome to drive but my work doesn't allow me the time to do any head work myself should the time come...I'm used to jap scrap that rusts but plods on and on haha.

SO much fun to drive but my lack of in depth knowledge of them scares me.....I went french as I need a hot hatch to take me to the alps for my next ski season but looks like I might revert back to jap.

It is a shame as if ur useful with the spanners and were inclined/ had the time it can be fixed 'relatively' cheaply if you know what your doing.... Good luck with it though! Thumbs up

Team Negative Camber!
Posted 1st Aug 2012 at 23:55
2crooky

Post #7
Yeah I do all my own servicing/engine work/mods at home but my work means 90 hour weeks through until November so I'm stuck with either selling it on or a big bill from a garage I suppose.

Best place to sell it? I think pistonheads is the norm but most people won't know the meaning of the word "tapper" as I didn't. Don't want chavs wasting my time and offering £4-500.
Posted 2nd Aug 2012 at 00:03
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #8
Put it up for sale on here in the Classifieds if you do want to move it on...people here know what "tappers" are and will look at the car with that in mind. I would pay £725 for it as it is, looks tidy. Smile

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 2nd Aug 2012 at 12:23
jonnie205

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
just drive it as it is
Posted 2nd Aug 2012 at 12:30
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
As above.
Theres no reason why it wont do you fine in the alps? just that it taps?

As far as i know its not really a death sentence.
I not keep it, Use it, and THEN sell it for the same you will now?

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 2nd Aug 2012 at 13:05
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #11
The only issue with just simply "keep driving it" is there's a 9 out of 10 chance that eventually the valve head on the tapping valve will break off and wreck the engine. Sometimes people have got 1k before this happens, others have got 60k. But it always happens in the end. Sad

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 2nd Aug 2012 at 14:10
2crooky

Post #12
Will be popping it up for sale in a few days...just waiting for the v5 to come through.

Also has the uprated inlet mani gasket.

I used some lifter cleaner which has quietened it down a bit but obviously wont cure it.

Alex
Posted 4th Aug 2012 at 14:34
2crooky

Post #13
Doing some for sale ads this evening....

Will have it on here for £800 and on pistonheads for £950....

Posted 5th Aug 2012 at 17:08
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
stan_306gti6 wrote:
The only issue with just simply "keep driving it" is there's a 9 out of 10 chance that eventually the valve head on the tapping valve will break off and wreck the engine. Sometimes people have got 1k before this happens, others have got 60k. But it always happens in the end. Sad
Did 70k in my old one as a tapper, never missed a beat and was quick. I wouldnt worry about it, if it drops a valve just have the engine swapped. It'll cost less than a new head. Wink

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 5th Aug 2012 at 17:57
2crooky

Post #15
As above.....I don't have any time to just "drop a new engine in there"

It's going to someone who has the time and would be happy to work on it.

Posted 5th Aug 2012 at 18:36
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Being more in the trade I'd say that's allot, My last one with a Recon head, FSH, shade over 100k 8 months T&T was £500.00, Nothing over 10 years old is worth much I'm afdraid

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 5th Aug 2012 at 21:05
2crooky

Post #17
Its worth what someone will pay for it.....but thanks for saying i'm overpricing it Thumbs up .........Roll eyes .......Thumbs down

This has less than 100k on the engine, rediculous service history and substancial amount of mods...so for that extra £300 I don't see why not.

Its a rareish hot hatch for £800 notes....not exactly a bank breaker lol

Posted 5th Aug 2012 at 23:00
2crooky

Post #18

Posted 5th Aug 2012 at 23:06
jc

Regular

Post #19
Just want say that this is my old car & its not a tapper in the true sense of the word,it only 'taps' at a certain rpm & has been running fine for over a year & 11,000 miles whilst I owned it,I wasn't even aware of any tapping until Alex told me,the sound is more like the rattle from a loose heat shield & not very noticeable,another thing is,the car always starts first time,uses no oil & doesn't smoke at all.

I wouldn't want anyone put off from buying the car or engine thinking it going to cost them a fortune to fix because that's not the case,the engine has been fine as it is for a long time & I'm sure it will continue to be for some time to come.

Posted 7th Aug 2012 at 12:09
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #20
Just remember you will always have people saying 'Oh if you were closer I'd give you X for it'. Truth of the matter is, many people won't put their money where their mouth is.

As mentioned, it's worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. See if you get any interest, and if not you are going to have to either hang on to it, or lower the price.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 7th Aug 2012 at 12:34
    2crooky

Post #21
    jc wrote:
    Just want say that this is my old car & its not a tapper in the true sense of the word,it only 'taps' at a certain rpm & has been running fine for over a year & 11,000 miles whilst I owned it,I wasn't even aware of any tapping until Alex told me,the sound is more like the rattle from a loose heat shield & not very noticeable,another thing is,the car always starts first time,uses no oil & doesn't smoke at all.

I wouldn't want anyone put off from buying the car or engine thinking it going to cost them a fortune to fix because that's not the case,the engine has been fine as it is for a long time & I'm sure it will continue to be for some time to come.

Taps at all rpm mate...

To note JC sold me a car he thought was healthy and had spent a good bit of money on so I'm not in any way annoyed at him. More the scrote that "refitted" a cambelt and screwed up the timing before he got hold of it.
    Posted 7th Aug 2012 at 23:08
    mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
    One of the certainties of life (other than death, taxes and nurses) is that owning cars means you will be presented with an unexpected bill once in a while. Old cars cost money. Fact. Selling it because you are annoyed that it is a tapper, while understandable, might not be the best way to go.

If this is the only real issue with the car (i.e. it is otherwise sorted and well-maintained, and not a rusty old banger with lots of issues), you will be probably better off financially fixing it and keeping it. Breaking a car will net you the most money (although for a 306 not so much these days) but it is a major PITA and takes a while.

A reconditioned head will not cost the earth. The car looks very tidy and clean, and you say JC spent good money on it when he had it, so I'd say fix it, keep it and enjoy it.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 8th Aug 2012 at 17:18
    jeffers Forum Admin

Post #23
    mik wrote:
    One of the certainties of life (other than death, taxes and nurses) is that owning cars means you will be presented with an unexpected bill once in a while. Old cars cost money. Fact. Selling it because you are annoyed that it is a tapper, while understandable, might not be the best way to go.

If this is the only real issue with the car (i.e. it is otherwise sorted and well-maintained, and not a rusty old banger with lots of issues), you will be probably better off financially fixing it and keeping it. Breaking a car will net you the most money (although for a 306 not so much these days) but it is a major PITA and takes a while.

A reconditioned head will not cost the earth. The car looks very tidy and clean, and you say JC spent good money on it when he had it, so I'd say fix it, keep it and enjoy it.

This! ^^^

Team Negative Camber!
    Posted 8th Aug 2012 at 22:02
    jc

Regular

Post #24
    ^^^^ +1

Posted 9th Aug 2012 at 10:28