displaying posts 51 to 75 of 102

Pages (5): first .. 2 [3] 4 .. last

Author Subject: Hose ban
rikky 🦔

Post #51
i wash my dog with the Karcher

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 22nd May 2012 at 09:14
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #52
Well Stan's a murderer, we've all learned something today.

To be fair to the water people, as per this article they rarely if ever prosecute people, the idea is more to make people aware that there's a shortage and hope that everyone will do their bit to help the situation.

It's a fact that it has been a dry year, so they don't have much water left. People can go and see the half-empty reservoirs if they like, it's not a conspiracy. It's just been a bit dry.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 22nd May 2012 at 09:15
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #53
matt evans wrote:
Its ok Stan has a watertight alibi

This needs to stop immediately.

Before the point of this thread gets watered down.

Posted 22nd May 2012 at 09:16
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #54
rikky wrote:

PMSL - Pics or it never happened Rich!

Even better if you snowfoamed the bugger first.LOL

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 22nd May 2012 at 09:18
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #55
matt evans wrote:
rikky wrote:

PMSL - Pics or it never happened Rich!

Even better if you snowfoamed the bugger first.LOL

Can you imagine if you caught a bollock with the jet from a pressure washer?

Posted 22nd May 2012 at 09:19
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #56
The thing is though Owain, why is it only limited to hose pipes?

Ok, so I can't use my hosepipe. Doesn't stop me leaving my kitchen tap running all day or deciding I'd like 5 baths a day all of a sudden. So whilst you're penalising people who like to wash their car once a week with the hose there is no control over any other aspect of water usage which seems crazy...

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 22nd May 2012 at 09:19
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #57
stan_306gti6 wrote:
The thing is though Owain, why is it only limited to hose pipes?

Ok, so I can't use my hosepipe. Doesn't stop me leaving my kitchen tap running all day or deciding I'd like 5 baths a day all of a sudden. So whilst you're penalising people who like to wash their car once a week with the hose there is no control over any other aspect of water usage which seems crazy...

Pretty much sums it up Stan. We dont have a ban in our area (we steal our water from the welsh after they have dropped dead sheep and p**sed in it), yet folks still look at me like im a kitten killer when im out washing all of the cars on the drive.

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 22nd May 2012 at 09:23
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #58
stan_306gti6 wrote:
The thing is though Owain, why is it only limited to hose pipes?... Doesn't stop me leaving my kitchen tap running all day or deciding I'd like 5 baths a day all of a sudden.

Because you can hardly compare washing a car with having water to drink when it comes to importance.

As that article said no-one's going Full Nazi and trying to turn people into raisins for fun, the idea is just to make people aware we're running short of water and to help prevent *true* water shortages like in the 70s when water to homes was actually shut off and people had to collect water in buckets from standpipes. *That's* what they're trying to avoid, and if everyone's sensible then it'll be fine.

If people start having five baths a day to stick it to some kind of Water Authority Man then yes obviously it'll become a problem, but most people are unlikely to do that.

Posted 22nd May 2012 at 09:26
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #59
If they really want to save water start cutting the supply to houses, say like 150 litres pay day per house, once you've used it it cuts off til midnight when you get a new supply for the next day.

It may sound stupid and none of us would want that, but they rationed food during the war when there was a shortage on that...

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 22nd May 2012 at 09:27
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #60
owain wrote:
stan_306gti6 wrote:
The thing is though Owain, why is it only limited to hose pipes?... Doesn't stop me leaving my kitchen tap running all day or deciding I'd like 5 baths a day all of a sudden.

Because you can hardly compare washing a car with having water to drink when it comes to importance.

As that article said no-one's going Full Nazi and trying to turn people into raisins for fun, the idea is just to make people aware we're running short of water and to help prevent *true* water shortages like in the 70s when water to homes was actually shut off and people had to collect water in buckets from standpipes. *That's* what they're trying to avoid, and if everyone's sensible then it'll be fine.

If people start having five baths a day to stick it to some kind of Water Authority Man then yes obviously it'll become a problem, but most people are unlikely to do that.

Good points, but we ALL need water. So far they are getting the people who use the hose. If you don't want to wash your car or have a garden to water then you're not affected. If we are all in this together, then let us ALL make a difference by being forced to use less water in the home. Wink

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 22nd May 2012 at 09:31
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #61
stan_306gti6 wrote:
So far they are getting the people who use the hose. If you don't want to wash your car or have a garden to water then you're not affected.

Correct, because you're already using very little water. Same as people who don't earn as much aren't taxed as much. You're saying people who don't wash their cars should have to go without showers if you can't pressure wash your driveway?

stan_306gti6 wrote:
If we are all in this together, then let us ALL make a difference by being forced to use less water in the home

They *are* saying that. That's *exactly* what they're saying. The do encourage people not to leave taps running, and to have showers instead of baths. And as long as people do that, there'll be no need to force anyone to do anything.

stan_306gti6 wrote:
If they really want to save water start cutting the supply to houses, say like 150 litres pay day per house, once you've used it it cuts off til midnight when you get a new supply for the next day.

Okay, and on a purely technical level how would you do that? The water supplies to roads come in, feed fire hydrants (which would no longer work) then go into peoples houses (sometimes through a meter). Some houses have a water tank, some do not.

If you had a tank and they turned off your water supply you'd still have a hundred litres of water to use overnight, which would just refill the next day when the supply was reconnected.

The reality is though that you can't automatically isolate the supply to one house, so you'd have to have a team of people isolate every road in the region every night, then back again in the morning. In doing so, you'd drain all the water out of the highest house immediately and the lowest house in the street would have a practically infinite supply.

Everyone's plumbing system then empties itself due to gravity, leaving massive airlocks, so every house would need to book a plumber for every morning to get rid of them. Toilets wouldn't be flushable, so everyone would have raw sewage sat in their houses overnight.

If they wanted to automate this, they'd have to dig up literally every road in the country and bury electronic shut-off valves for each house, and wire them into some kind of centralised system. You're probably looking in the tens of billions of pounds to implement and decades before it was done.

OR

People could just be sensible and not use water they don't need to and it'll all be fine in a few weeks Thumbs up

Posted 22nd May 2012 at 09:42
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #62
Again, you raise some very good points Owain. Yes

However, my view is slightly different given the fact that we are paying for such a service. Don't ban me if I want to use the hosepipe. Put my water price up and then use the extra income to help fix the current water leaks we have saving even more water. If I want it, I should be able to have it albeit at a higher premium. Same when there was a petrol shortage. Some garages were charging £2 a litre. Why? Because they could. They had it and you wanted it, simple as that.

Do the same with water. You want to use your hose? Fine, but expect a substantionally higher bill.

To answer your question regarding how from a technical perspective we could go about cutting people's water off on a daily basis...

I agree it would cost a lot of money and take years to implement, but how about do it and employ all those unemployed to do it thus the country will start getting loads more in tax and pay out less on income support benefiting our economy. At the end of it, we would have the added benefit of being able to accurately control water usage and have a booming economy. Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 22nd May 2012 at 10:07
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #63
Right...

Are you actually likening drinking water to petrol? You seem to be forgetting that a hose pipe ban has nothing to do with money. It's not a big oil company milking the world, it's not drivers wanting better pensions, it's about a big hole in the ground with not much water in it. That's it. It's that simple. No amount of money is going to put more water in that hole.

How would you bill people for hose use? Seeing as they've already said they don't check up on people, they're just hoping people will be sensible. Do you think I should have to pay more for my drinking water so you can clean your car every ten minutes?

Water bills are stupidly low compared with everything else, as they should be. I pay something like £12 a month for unlimited water, say £150 a year. On that, they make a tiny profit. If they doubled my bill, would that pay for digging up the bit of road outside my house and checking for leaks? No, not even close. What if they quadrupled it? Nope. Even if they put up water prices tenfold it wouldn't even come close to the costs involved in fixing leaking pipes.

I think there's some flawed logic in using tax money to pay unemployed people hoping they'll then pay tax, I'm not sure there are any winners there Wink

Plus you'll find most unemployed people are not workmen, so would be no good at digging up roads and laying water pipes.

I really think people are thinking too far into hose pipe bans. It's just the water company saying look, it hasn't rained much, so we don't have much water. Please don't use more than is necessary, and everything will be fine. There's no need to up prices, there's no need to panic, and if everyone pulls together and uses as little as they can there'll be no need for any water shortages.

That's literally it. No conspiracy, no ulterior motives, just a hole in the ground with not much water in it. If all companies worked like that, the world would be a far better place.

Posted 22nd May 2012 at 10:33
rikky 🦔

Post #64
i want them to ban hoes

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 22nd May 2012 at 10:42
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #65
rikky wrote:
i want them to ban hoes

Liar. You'd have nothing left.

Posted 22nd May 2012 at 10:44
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #66
Just murder everyone locally, Stan, then you'll have no problems Devil

Nothing to see here
Posted 22nd May 2012 at 11:18
woody.

Senior User

Post #67
H2WOOOOW this is an in depth thread on water!
Posted 22nd May 2012 at 12:03
rikky 🦔

Post #68
water way to start the day

Posted 22nd May 2012 at 12:04
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #69
I've got to hand it to Owain, he's probably correct. Yes

The fact is I'm just generally annoyed about how much this country has become a nanny state telling us what we can and can't do it's ridiculous.
If I pay for water by the cubic metre, then I wish to be able to use as much or as little as I like then pay for my usage at the end.

As I said near the beginning of this thread, if we are treated reasonably I would return the favour but the fact they have put a blanket ban down on hosepipes so I can't use it, I will just find another way around it which in turn will probably use more water than the hosepipe. Wink

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 22nd May 2012 at 12:17
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #70
But as I said, it has *ZERO* to do with being a nanny state. No-one is telling you what to do. No-one is filming you wash your car. You cannot simply use what you want, because it's not there to use.

All that's happened is that a company who knows how much water we need has said "we don't really have much left, can you be careful please".

I'm really not sure what you want, it's nothing like "political correctness gone mad", or "health and safety", it's just that we're a bit short on the wet stuff. That's it. End of.

Posted 22nd May 2012 at 12:23
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #71
But that's just it Owain, they're not telling us to "be careful" I would have no problem with that at all.

They are saying there is a "ban" on using that, i.e. you *cannot* use it. That *is* telling us what to do (or what not to do in this case LOL).

If they treated us like adults, I would respond by making sure I used less and being responsible for my actions etc,,but the very fact they *force* us into doing or not doing something is wrong in my view. Don't you agree?

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 22nd May 2012 at 12:33
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #72
stan_306gti6 wrote:
If they treated us like adults, I would respond by making sure I used less and being responsible for my actions etc,,but the very fact they *force* us into doing or not doing something is wrong in my view. Don't you agree?

Well no, because you're saying you'd just go outside and clean your car anyway, thus proving you need to be treated like a child and told what to do. Hence the need for a "ban".

Posted 22nd May 2012 at 12:39
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #73
owain wrote:
stan_306gti6 wrote:

Well no, because you're saying you'd just go outside and clean your car anyway, thus proving you need to be treated like a child and told what to do. Hence the need for a "ban".

Maybe I would, but I would be mindful of the fact there is a shortage and make sure I used as little as I needed to, whilst also giving thought to how long I spent in the shower etc at the same time so as to minimise my personal usage.
As it is, there is no control over any other water usage other than the hose.

I have a hot tub built into my garden and it takes 800 litres of water which needs to be changed every 4 weeks. If I fill it with a hose it takes 800 litres, now I have to fill it using a bucket from my outdoor tap, which spills some as you take it across the grass towards the tub. So I probably lose some 20 litres spilling out the bucket using this method out of a single 800 litre fill. So, I've *actually* used more water doing it the way the authorities have forced me to do it. Doesn't make sense. No

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 22nd May 2012 at 13:00
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #74
So you're complaining about our "nanny state" not creating enough rules and paperwork when all we need to do is save a bit of water?

You'd like them to spend taxpayers money on perhaps writing up some guidelines and a whitepaper, then employ inspectors to go through everyone's house making sure they're sticking to the rules?

Seriously, it's like the one thing that's still simple in this country and you want it to be as over-complicated as everything else is. It's a hose pipe ban, not a hedge fund. They've been telling for people for months to save water, no-one listened, hose pipe ban. Simple as that.

Posted 22nd May 2012 at 13:06
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #75
Blah Blah Blah

I want pics of Stan in a hot tub.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 22nd May 2012 at 13:10

Pages (5): first .. 2 [3] 4 .. last