displaying posts 26 to 30 of 30

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: rocker cover seal/gasket
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #26
bigbadbowen wrote:
I'd try the chisel method first if I were you bud Yes

Chisel too harsh, there's a good 5 if not 10 mm left once you drill the cap head off, I've had to do it myself but at the end of the day it's up to you.

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 20th Apr 2012 at 22:12
barnettjd77

Regular

Post #27
quote:
quote:
Chisel too harsh, there's a good 5 if not 10 mm left once you drill the cap head off, I've had to do it myself but at the end of the day it's up to you.

Ah right as long as there is enough to get molgrips or something of that nature on. Yeah but you lads know one hell of a lot more than me Yes

A red rallye in progress!
Posted 20th Apr 2012 at 22:16
darzmat

Senior User

Post #28
barnettjd77 wrote:
quote:
quote:

Ah right as long as there is enough to get molgrips or something of that nature on. Yeah but you lads know one hell of a lot more than me Yes

once you drill the heads off of them there wont be any tension on the thread, should just come out by hand, providing the thread is clean.

although they may be hot after drilling so be carefull Thumbs up

1997 blaze GTI-6 bought january '11 £800

Spend to date on parts £827.88

Posted 21st Apr 2012 at 01:10
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
ryangti6 wrote:
Loctite RTV is the stuff you want. Other "instant gasket" products should do the same.

As above they can be a pain but then others seal first time. Follow the instructions for letting it set etc and above all make sure both surfaces are 100% free from oil or it will not work.

Thats right, this is what i use and as long as you do up the bolts in the correct order there wont be any leaks. Check out the Haynes manual and it shows you the order in which you do up the bolts, so the pressure is equal all round Thumbs up

I applied some oil along the head's edges because i will be removing the cam covers at a later date for when they get painted in 2k paint, with the thin smear of oil, it will be easier to remove the RTV with engine in the bay. The RTV stuff i have says a smear of oil is ok to use for a limited amount of time.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 21st Apr 2012 at 13:12
barnettjd77

Regular

Post #30
drilled and free Thumbs up just gotta try doing the gasket/seal now LOL first time lucky i hope

A red rallye in progress!
Posted 24th Apr 2012 at 17:26

Pages (2): 1 [2]