displaying posts 1 to 25 of 33

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: These are not standard are they???
6waysforward

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
These are not standard are they?? Dunno

Also looks like in the second pic there is some scoring to the block or liners what ever its called.

Sorry for naff quality pics, was done from my htc.

***Breaking*** Ph3 Silver GTI 6 High Boost Superman

Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 15:21
anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Ughh that's go to be lowering the compression surely
Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 15:23
rikky 🦔

Post #3
pocketed?? ish

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 15:24
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #4
Running cams?

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 15:24
    welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #5
    XSI /RFV pistons.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 15:26
    rikky 🦔

Post #6
    yeah actually xsi pistons i think the 205 people use them cos they have a better cutout. nothing like the 8v pistons though Unsure the ones i took out of my XU10J2 weren't like that anyway

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
    306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
    winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
    Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 15:29
    welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #7
    no they don't have a better valve cutout, slightly smaller if anything, I have never heard of 205 guys using them LOL

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 15:30
    rikky 🦔

Post #8
    definitely read that somewhere, probably on drivers. maybe it was compared to a 205 piston, f**k knows! maybe it was a dream i had. who will ever know

Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 15:37
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #9
    These pistons will give a compression ratio of 10.4:1 as opposed to the standard 10.8:1. Yes

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
    Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 15:45
    anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
    Ughh that's go to be lowering the compression surely
    Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 15:48
    6waysforward

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
    Ok well the story is this...
    2 years ago i bought a gti 6 local to me that i had every intention of breaking. I drove it about for a few months as i didnt have a car at the time and it was bloody rapid.

Going back through the service history a few days after i bought it i found a reciept from lad motorsport ( yes i know) for 3k stating it had a fast road conversion.

I spoke to the guy who had the work done when he owned it and he said he had spent loads on it etc and it was rolling roaded at 190bhp ( bit optimistic ).

I spoke to lad motor sport and they remember the car and doing the work and said it had had new pistons, cams, ported and polished etc etc.

I weighted the flywheel when i took it off and sure as the paper work states its has been lightened. I weighed it at 5.5kg and iirc the standard one is 6.7kg??

Anyways i ended up breaking the car and keeping the engine and ecu etc and went out and bought a ph3 gti 6 with a tapper engine with the intention of putting this engine in.

So i started to strip down this engine to see what really has been done to it as i know lad motorsport were a bunch of lying kents.

So my question is this, where do i go with it now?? new headgasket and belt and put it in my car, or just bung the head in my car, or get rid of the engine as i cant seem to get definate answers on it???

Thanks.

Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 15:48
    welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #12
    those bores don't look the best, I wouldn't want to use that without boring to 87mm and dropping a 92mm diesel crank in Ninja

with shorter rods and forged pistons of course...

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 16:22
    6waysforward

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
    welshpug! wrote:
    those bores don't look the best, I wouldn't want to use that without boring to 87mm and dropping a 92mm diesel crank in Ninja

with shorter rods and forged pistons of course...

I would not have a clue how to do that or even where to start LOL

Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 16:53
    ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
    stan_306gti6 wrote:
    These pistons will give a compression ratio of 10.4:1 as opposed to the standard 10.8:1. Yes

Isnt that with the Xsi head though?

IIRC the Xsi heads have a smaller chamber in the head so it would be lower again with an RS head. The next question for me would be is the head definitly an RS one?

If I understood you right then I would just put the head off that engine on the one that taps to sort that out and either sell or scrap that bottom end, I wouldnt want to be using it in that condition if it were me.

Ryan
    Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 16:53
    6waysforward

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
    ryangti6 wrote:
    stan_306gti6 wrote:

Isnt that with the Xsi head though?

IIRC the Xsi heads have a smaller chamber in the head so it would be lower again with an RS head. The next question for me would be is the head definitly an RS one?

If I understood you right then I would just put the head off that engine on the one that taps to sort that out and either sell or scrap that bottom end, I wouldnt want to be using it in that condition if it were me.

That is a very good point. I am just in the process of uploading a load of pics of the head and bottom end etc to photobucket. They will be on here in ten mins so have a look as i have no sodding idea LOL

Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 17:06
    6waysforward

Seasoned Pro

Post #16

Not sure if that lot helps, might have a few more of the head from afar. I am a bit lost now to be honest. I will quite happily bolt this head in the pics on to my tappy engined car but will it be ok as the block its come off has different pistons. Will the valves clear my standard pistons etc and if there has been head work, will my standard ecu run it?? So confused Dunno

Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 17:20
    ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
    Head is an RS one and does look to have had some work done on the ports.

Get those cam pullies pinned back up Thumbs up

Ryan
    Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 17:26
    6waysforward

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
    ryangti6 wrote:
    Head is an RS one and does look to have had some work done on the ports.

Get those cam pullies pinned back up Thumbs up

Ok so use the head but ditch the bottom end, thats fine. Pin up the cam pullies?? Dunno

Does this need to be done ir can i just leave it stored on its side as is ( indoors and covered up obviously)

Oh and for the record i wont be timming it back up as i am usless as it. Anything else on a car and i can do it, just not timing or engine internal work.

Anyone wana come round and time it up? Beer tokens will be issued Smile

Oh and that head gasked looks triple layered steel, thats not normal is it?? In the pics it only looks like a double but there is another layer there.

Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 17:33
    ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
    That's what I'd personally do.

With the pullies I keep them pinned whilst storing because if that inlet cam slips it will make the inlet valves hit the exhaust valves that are still open and the force of the spring is enough to bend the stems.

Edit: Did you pin them when you took the belt off as you may well have done it already?

Ryan
    Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 17:36
    6waysforward

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
    No i didnt pin them, i was not aware that they could do that until you mentioned it. But when i removed the belt, the cams stayed put and have been in the same position since.

So my main questions are
    1) Do i get a standard headgasket and bolts or does it need a different one as the one thats come off looks non standard?
    2) Will my standard ecu run this head and its been messed with once in my car??

Thank you for answering my questions by the way, i am a proper retard when it comes to engines LOL

Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 17:47
    ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
    Thats very lucky they didnt move as the inlet cam is usually on the point of wanting to turn when pinned. Your best bet to store would be to remove the cam carriers and cams so all valves are shut, if you do the inlet one first you will be fine. I wouldnt want to chance that turning if I was you.

That headgasket is standard, they are meant to be MLS so just get a replacement gasket and bolts. Be wary of motor factors for the gasket as they usually fob you off with a normal one not the tripple layer.

A standard Ecu will run it fine.

Ryan
    Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 17:54
    6waysforward

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
    ryangti6 wrote:
    Thats very lucky they didnt move as the inlet cam is usually on the point of wanting to turn when pinned. Your best bet to store would be to remove the cam carriers and cams so all valves are shut, if you do the inlet one first you will be fine. I wouldnt want to chance that turning if I was you.

That headgasket is standard, they are meant to be MLS so just get a replacement gasket and bolts. Be wary of motor factors for the gasket as they usually fob you off with a normal one not the tripple layer.

A standard Ecu will run it fine.

Chers fella. I will get the replacement parts from peugeot anyways as i dont trust motor factors with stuff like that. I will go and get the cams pinned now.

Now i just need to work out who is closest to me out of all the repair people on here and see if they wana do the change as i am not confident and would rather pay to have it done than balls it up.

Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 17:58
    ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
    Now you are aware of the potential problems it really isnt that hard to do.

Make sure you pin everything before you remove the tapping head, if the bottom one wont line up it'll be because the lower pulley will have slipped, get this head pinned and put it on. You cant go wrong really.

The only other thing you need is a good torque wrench for the headbolts when refitting.

Ryan
    Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 18:04
    6waysforward

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
    Was going to order a rich w alloy pullie anyways. I realy dont trust my self with the timming, i will prob get it 180 degrees out, lol. I can do everything else, just not the timming.

Prob is i live miles away from anyone that really knows there stuff on here so finding someone to pop round and time it up will be a nightmare and i dont trust a local garage.

I have read to many horror storys on here of people getting it ever so slightly out and causing there head to tap or worse. Best left to those in the know.

Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 18:21
    ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
    If you are getting an alloy pulley then even better, not even that can go wrong.

As long as those cam pullies and the bottom end are pinned you really can't mess it up. A lot of the horror stories you will hear are because people don't pin things and use tipex or something to mark it then when they move the cams individually to line it back up they the hit the valves into each other. Also a worrying amount of these f**k ups are done by garages.

Put it on, torque it down and put the belt on and there's nothing more to it. There is a good Faq on doing the belt and double checking the timing but using the pins is pretty fail safe.

I don't blame you for worrying as it is quite daunting but do it properly and it won't go wrong.

Ryan
    Posted 17th Apr 2012 at 18:49

Pages (2): [1] 2