displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Harness Bar
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hello!

Ive had an idea in my head for a while now and want to know if its plausible in any way.

Basically i cant afford either the cage or insurance with a cage at the moment, however i do wish to put some bucket seats in my car and fully appreciate the importance of correct mounting of harnesses and the safety benefits that a harness bar brings.

Long term however i do intend to fit a bolt in safety devices cage, and so what i would want to do is to reinforce the area that the SD cage rear bars would pick up on the rear tubs, drill them out to the same specifications as the cage feet and then install a harness bar between these 2 points. Im a bit anal/wary/dont really want to use the more common harness bar location as when i do go fully caged ill have holes or weld etc halfway down the tubs!

Is this a plausible idea?

owain wrote:
A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
Posted 7th Apr 2012 at 18:34
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
I'd just leave it till you can do the whole job properly.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 7th Apr 2012 at 18:40
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Is there any safe way to run buckets and harness's without a harness bar?

owain wrote:
A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
Posted 7th Apr 2012 at 18:47
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Ive got a harness bar, its a nice thing (look in my project thread if you're interested)

It goes without saying a full cage would better but equally a harness bar is infinitely better than mounting harnesses to the rear seat mounts on the floor.

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 7th Apr 2012 at 22:18
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #5
braymond wrote:
Ive got a harness bar, its a nice thing (look in my project thread if you're interested)

It goes without saying a full cage would better but equally a harness bar is infinitely better than mounting harnesses to the rear seat mounts on the floor.

Thumbs up

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 7th Apr 2012 at 22:58
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I have no doubt that its a really nice harness bar Big grin Just wondered if my idea was viable to reduce the welding/bolting on the rear tubs for when, in the future i go for a cage!

owain wrote:
Posted 7th Apr 2012 at 23:42
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #7
The idea is plausible, but extremely difficult to execute. Normally with a bolt in cage, you put it in the car, see where the feet all sit, mark out you positions for the mounting feet and their holes so you know where to put the reiforcing plates, then you remove the cage agai so you can get on with drilling/welding the plates in. Your problem will be that without a cage to start with you won't be able to position the plates with any degree of accuracy. Even with detailed dimensions from the manufacturer of the cage (the finished article will vary a bit) marking positions for the locations of the feet will be very hit or miss. You will end up with none of the holes in the feet lining up with your mounting plates and having to cut them out and start again. I'm afraid a bolt in harness bar is likely to be your best bet.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 8th Apr 2012 at 10:20