displaying posts 126 to 150 of 461

Pages (19): first .. 5 [6] 7 .. last

Author Subject: Changes to Club Membership
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #126
We need to be careful taking and hosting images owned by the FAQ creator as they belong to the author.

On other forums I use, they allow you to upload images onto the site server so they never get lost. Something to consider maybe?

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 27th Mar 2012 at 22:43
    justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #127
    I raised this a while ago.. as one of the FAQs I made had images I posted in the gallery that were subsequently deleted Shut up
    Posted 27th Mar 2012 at 22:45
    justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #128
    SteviePut wrote:
    For the record I've not had much flack at all TBH. Smile

Can I have some please? I'm feeling left outLOL
    Most people just have you on their ignore list Wink
    Posted 27th Mar 2012 at 22:46
    davewagon

Senior User

Post #129
    dangti6 wrote:
    We need to be careful taking and hosting images owned by the FAQ creator as they belong to the author.

On other forums I use, they allow you to upload images onto the site server so they never get lost. Something to consider maybe?

True - ish

But once posted a photo onto the internet, it's there, and you can't undo it.

I'm not sure of the legal stance, but posting something onto a public forum must be akin to giving away ownership of property rights - probably not, but maybe so

Simple solution, ask permission - if a host of pictures says no, then that's it - end of story
    (I'd have hope most people wouldn't say 'no', as that would make them c**ts)

Team: Moonstone GTI-6
    Team: Working air-con™

ian7675 wrote:
    Remember....a 6 isn't just a car, it's a part time job Thumbs up
    Posted 27th Mar 2012 at 23:12
    owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #130
    It's actually simpler than that - by uploading a picture you're giving permission for it to be used on that site. If someone downloaded it, made forum posters and sold them for profit without permission, that'd be illegal but is the risk you take when you put a picture up on the internet.

I currently host all my own photos but y'know what - I'm willing to risk the massive income I make from my s**t photos of my s**t car and let the forum have them forever.

Only exception being that photo of Lotek dressed as a gay cowboy, that one's in the public domain and free for anyone to "use".

Pay £5, STFU. I'd pay that for the odd occasion I take the p**s out of someone for saying stupid because no-one else seems to bother these days Roll eyes

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
    Posted 27th Mar 2012 at 23:16
    thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #131
    davewagon wrote:
    thugpuggin wrote:
    Photobucket cull too maybe.

See, I hope Thug was joking, but this is a real sticking point for me...

The FAQs, Projects thread and other photos add heaps of helpful information here, they can become all useless the moment a photobucket account is deleted.

Something needs to be done to transfer linked photos onto the site's server/bandwidth or whatever, and it NEEDS to be a priority.

Sad to see some long timers leaving, but it's their choice.

captainash wrote:
    Wise words, Dave.

Dwagon I'm not going to delete any of my pictures from FAQ's (takes too long and I'm lazy) it was a throw away comment for me but loaded to raise comment. I can't vouch for others, whatever decision I decide on membership. I'd be happy to let them be signed over copyright wise to the forum as long as I get the worlds biggest big up Laugh (as clearly someone can't take the same picture again).

I'm of the same ilk as Jsoul, life changes and I question to myself why I waste time on here. I don't do facebook etc so it's not a social media for me despite meeting many friends on here, I can ring or text them if needs be. Yes the forum has had it's changes as the demographic has changed over time but same faces still here on a whole regardless off their own car ownership.

When I was breaking 6's and rallyes it was a good outlet to sell bits despite never doing a breaking thread it's served me well and further to Grumpy's (a good friend) comments about donating I have donated kindly when the call came based on this benefit I was getting. I've now got a house and lots of s**t leftover bits which given the increase in breakers, lower prices and demand for parts I'd rather go out on a bang with and either try and sell or weigh in/take the tip to free my new home of clutter.

As said there is more to peoples decisions than wanting to pay a fiver.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 27th Mar 2012 at 23:23
    davewagon

Senior User

Post #132
    thugpuggin wrote:

I don't do facebook etc so it's not a social media for me despite meeting many friends on here, I can ring or text them if needs be.

It's an interesting side point, but this place does allow you just to pop on and shoot the s**t with some like minded characters as and when you like, it's very accessible that way to communicate with an open group (incidently I have never bothered with facebook much or tw@tter for that matter)

Texting and phoning is a better form of communication granted, but is one-2-one and requires someone to be free to communicate back there and then (and you only tend to do it when you want something "as needs be"Wink whereas here (or any other forum) you can join in, or passively watch various ongoing conversations.

I think that is something not to be overlooked - we have all developed opinions and images of a group of guy that we have mostly never met.

thugpuggin wrote:
    As said there is more to peoples decisions than wanting to pay a fiver.

Absolutely - I don't think it's fair that anyone should be berated into paying anything, its practically bullying and I think the general rule should be that we're to refrain from saying s**t like "it's only a fiver, just pay up you tight skinflint blah blah blah". It's just not on!

On the flip side, those who don't want to pay shouldn't have to justify why they aren't. They should also not make such a f**kin huff and puff (some, not all) about not paying.

It might not be the best car in the world anymore, and some Jap hot hatch trounces it in other respects - but I'm allowed to still be enthusiastic about my '6, and if that requires £5 then fine.

I certainly should not try to make anyone feel bad for not paying it, and I shouldn't be made to feel like a mug for paying it at the same time.

I don't think that the '6 has had it's day yet. Maybe in road going trim sure, it's showing its age a little - but i'm seeing more and more really cracking track cars/builds coming into the project section and I reckon that's where many will head in the future Cool

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular btw
    Infact, a lot of what i've typed doesn't really get across what i'm trying to say, but it's late and I can't be arsed to re-type it LOL

All I really wanted is for the photo content not to disappear LOL

Team: Moonstone GTI-6
    Team: Working air-con™

ian7675 wrote:
    Remember....a 6 isn't just a car, it's a part time job Thumbs up
    Posted 28th Mar 2012 at 00:19
    rob_humphrey

Regular

Post #133
    I love this site and all it offers even though i dont have a 6 i have a HDi (don't hate me). I will be paying the £5 whenever they decide to enforce it .

Team Moonstone Big grin

Team Working Aircon
    Posted 28th Mar 2012 at 00:29
    SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #134
    justinaccurate wrote:
    SteviePut wrote:
    For the record I've not had much flack at all TBH. Smile

Can I have some please? I'm feeling left outLOL
    Most people just have you on their ignore list Wink

We have an ignore list?? bo***cks you'd have been top of my list Flip

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
    Posted 28th Mar 2012 at 00:50
    BrianM

Regular

Post #135
    A fiver a year is worth it. I am happy with that.

'13 208 Gti Bianca White, '99 Bianca 306 Rallye, '92 309 Goodwood GTi 5dr, '92 Miami Blue 309 GTi 3dr.
    Posted 28th Mar 2012 at 01:47
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #136
    thugpuggin wrote:
    it was a throw away comment for me but loaded to raise comment.

Surprisingly very few people can see what I write in this section as exactly that.

I don't do the book of faces either. I've always said if I need to get in contact with people through that then it was probably because I didn't wish to keep in touch in the first place.

• Posted 28th Mar 2012 at 06:54
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #137
    What's the implimentation date for this Ash?

• Posted 30th Mar 2012 at 09:23
    captainash Admin

Post #138
    Well ... by doing this we'll be removing PM access from people who are not members, so I'll be contacting them giving them 2 weeks notice to export their PM while they can. The changes can then go live.

In other words ... two weeks.

quote:
    Ash is in charge, from afar
    Posted 30th Mar 2012 at 09:31
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #139
    Good work Ash, I am especially liking the exporting PMs function. Proves very useful when you've got a lot of PMs which you wish to save but need the space in your inbox. Thumbs up

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
    Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 30th Mar 2012 at 09:40
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #140
    captainash wrote:
    Well ... by doing this we'll be removing PM access from people who are not members, so I'll be contacting them giving them 2 weeks notice to export their PM while they can. The changes can then go live.

The reason I ask is I noticed I can't access the Private Message page at all.

When clicking on to it, it returns the message: You do not have access to Private Messaging as you are not a member.
    If you would like to upgrade your membership, please read the Membership section.

• Posted 30th Mar 2012 at 09:48
    captainash Admin

Post #141
    Ah, sorry ... jumped the gun a bit there.

Try again now Thumbs up

quote:
    Ash is in charge, from afar
    Posted 30th Mar 2012 at 09:57
    webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #142
    dangti6 wrote:
    captainash wrote:

The reason I ask is I noticed I can't access the Private Message page at all.

When clicking on to it, it returns the message: You do not have access to Private Messaging as you are not a member.
    If you would like to upgrade your membership, please read the Membership section.

Rumour has it, a mere payment of £5 resolves this issue without any need for intervention.

cress87 wrote:
    I'm stopped for speeding on a daily basis but now the police are aware that I live for the 306 they dare not interfere, just sit in their cars quaking as I drive past.
    Posted 30th Mar 2012 at 09:58
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #143
    Webster, we all have our reasons for our choices. Discussed many times.

One of the few people who respects our choice is Ash himself. At not one point have I noticed such sarcasm from him. While a number of us have yet (for whatever reason) chosen not to pay, we have continued to express why, and what could be changed to make this a better place.

Throw away comments and tongue in cheek that I and others have posted to provoke a discussion has actually benefited us through changes. Some choose to post that sort of thing to intentionally be a pain, but I am sure the Admin team can see what is purely negative for the sake of it, and what is intended to provoke discussion and give us food for thought.

In 2 weeks time we will have another choice to make.

Of course it is a shame that in 2 weeks time we may notice that we haven't seen X,Y and Z posting. We will have to ask ourselves is that because they will be joining in time when they require some technical help - or 'what a clownshoe, it's worth signing up now to quote that comment'. Or is that absence because they decided not to join? We will only know what we hear from people who are in contact with those people, or we will have to presume they aren't ever going to post again.

• Posted 30th Mar 2012 at 10:29
    billyboy99

Seasoned Pro

Post #144
    looks like we are being forced to pay which is fine i guess...at least its being done with some integrity

i wasnt going to ever pay if i didnt have to as i am a man of principles but i need this site more than it needs me so i will end up paying the fiver as rob_humphrey above...i have always thought...its ONLY a fiver, but all the cool people havnt joined and rebels are cool but if you cant post, you are no longer cool, you are just forgotten..

when i join, i might join as a 'newbie' with new ID though so no one knows billyboy99 sold out and people remember billyboy99 as the legend he once was.

see you slags on the other side... Wink
    Posted 30th Mar 2012 at 10:41
    jsoulman

Seasoned Pro

Post #145
    billyboy99 wrote:
    its ONLY a fiver, but all the cool people havnt joined and rebels are cool but if you cant post, you are no longer cool, you are just forgotten..

I think the more everyone forgets about you the better!

Love
    Posted 30th Mar 2012 at 10:46
    rallyecomms

Seasoned Pro

Post #146
    Not read the whole thread, and i haven't posted on here in AGES, but i have to say that i think a fiver is a bargain. Over the years i've been a member here, the help from this forum has been fantastic. I wouldn't have learned, or been able to do half as much without it.

I'm not currently a premium member, but will be paying imminently. Keep up the good work.

Road Rally car - Manstone Ph3 GTI-6. Quaife ATB, hydraulic handbrake, OMP Cage and loads of other rally crap!
    Rally Car - Ford Olympic Blue!. Quaife ATB, hydraulic handbrake, Safety devices cage, GpN Pug Sport kit!
    Posted 30th Mar 2012 at 10:53
    jim01uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #147
    captainash wrote:

gilesy wrote:
    Membership fees introduced 10 years too late to take advantage #missedatrick

Not at all. Who would have paid membership when the site first started?

Quite a few, I expect. If they got something for their money.

A brand new Landrover Discovery owners club opened the year before last, and I paid my £30 (yes THIRTY POUNDS) membership straight away. Why?

Genuine (as in prices that you couldn't get anywhere else) discounted tickets to Landrover/4x4 shows

Discounted prices for off road events

Discounts with traders and sponsors on the forum, which couldn't be had elsewhere

Indirect access to GLASS (Green Lane association) which means I can ask a question and one of the committee logs in to GLASS and gets the answer for me, something you can't do without paying.

Indirect access to TOPIX, Landrover's dealer technical reference website. It's where dealers log in and get instructions, figures, test procedures and all the rest of it for the vehicle. I post a problem, someone from the committee logs in and finds out the answer/gets the instructions for me.

Food and drink provided by the club budget when attending one of the big events.

Public Liability insurance when off roading with the club. So if I cause an accident/injure someone when out with the club, their insurance covers it.

OK, you may say "well it's a different type of vehicle, more expensive and owned by people with more spare cash" but 10 years ago the GTi6 was an expensive vehicle still, probably owned by younger blokes with a bit of cash to spend. There's plenty of clubs I have paid £20-£30 (MLR is £35 for example) but you always get something back for that.

On here, for your fiver, you get nothing.

I haven't been on here for about 3 weeks, only came back because I got an email about the changes. I haven't missed the place, and I'm absolutely f**king positive no-one has missed me.

Wave
    Posted 30th Mar 2012 at 11:40
    billyboy99

Seasoned Pro

Post #148
    jim01uk wrote:

to be fair mate, out there, for your fiver you get nothing either.

going to the shops just to get 4 pints of milk and a loaf of bread comes to a fiver now...!

the knowledgeable members dont need to and probably wont join/post but us dunces will, think of it as paying £5 a year for Dell Customer Support.
    Posted 30th Mar 2012 at 11:53
    jim01uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #149
    billyboy99 wrote:
    jim01uk wrote:

going to the shops just to get 4 pints of milk and a loaf of bread comes to a fiver now...!

the knowledgeable members dont need to and probably wont join/post but us dunces will, think of it as paying £5 a year for Dell Customer Support.

But all the info is there to see. For free.
    Posted 30th Mar 2012 at 12:06
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #150
    jim01uk wrote:
    billyboy99 wrote:
    jim01uk wrote:

But all the info is there to see. For free.

Whilst this is true, if you can't find the info you need and would like to ask a fresh question it can't be done without membership. Wink

Obviously, in your case Jim this probably doesn't matter because you don't own a 306 anymore. However there are some that do that have stated they will simply browse the info for free to find what they need and my comment above will apply to them. Yes

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
    Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 30th Mar 2012 at 12:16

Pages (19): first .. 5 [6] 7 .. last