displaying posts 26 to 27 of 27

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: New member from Melbourne, Australia
gti6aus

Junior User

Post #26
mik wrote:
gti6aus wrote:

I've looked into importing one from the UK, but it seems very pricey. It is a shame.

With the weakness of the pound there has never been a better time to do it, but it depends on the other costs I suppose.

What would it actually cost?

Maybe around AU$3000 to ship the car from the UK, with it being worth only about AU$3000 to buy there shouldn't be too much duty? Then Aussie quarantine cleaning all the nasty UK creepy crawlies LOL LOL from every nook and cranny for a couple of hundred bucks, and then road registration.

The car would owe you about AU$7000. What would it actually be worth in Aus? Being one of a kind out there it could be difficult to say.

Apparently there is some issue with proving you have owned the vehicle for more than 12 months in the UK prior to shipping it to AU (to stop grey importing). If the car is pre 1989, then there is no issue. I may need to look into this further.

A mint Rallye with say less than 100,000Ks (60,000 miles) would be worth $10,000 AU at least, considering it could be the only one in the country.

1998 GTi6 Bianca White
Posted 31st Mar 2012 at 12:49
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #27
Welcome, you're the third member from Oz that's joined since I've been around.

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 31st Mar 2012 at 13:25

Pages (2): 1 [2]