displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: axle stand position
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
If I'm jacking the car up using the front jacking point, where is then a safe place to support the car with axle stands?

This is almost certainly a very obvious answer to most, so as long as some useful information comes my way, I'll take the mocking and jeering on the chin

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 22nd Mar 2012 at 15:40
rikky 🦔

Post #2
i've got about 10 sets of stands so i always play it safe. one under each side of subframe and one under the little eyelets on the chassis

when it's supported as high as possible, i'd put stands back under the jacking points..

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 22nd Mar 2012 at 15:45
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Thank you

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 22nd Mar 2012 at 15:53
rikky 🦔

Post #4
i must admit i usually whack a block of wood under the subframe, trolley jack it as high as possible and then lower onto axle stands as above. saves going round in circles with a jack and whatnot

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 22nd Mar 2012 at 17:44
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #5
I usually use the two chassis rails under the car, the front part of which is reinforced and double-skinned.

If I jack the rear up, I usually place the stands under the rear axle unless I am working on the axle in which case I will jack on the axle and place the stands on the sill jacking points. Wink

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 23rd Mar 2012 at 12:54
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I jack up with the Eyelets on the chassis just till I can get the stands under jacking point.

Phase 2 Blaze GTi 6 (Standard) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged China GTi 6 (249.8 BHP) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged Diablo GTi 6 (443 BHP)Sold
Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 23rd Mar 2012 at 13:17
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #7
I use the sill jacking points as infrequently as possible. Witnessing rusty, deformed examples of these areas on previous PSA cars has put me off the idea. Mine are all still fine, incidentally.

I always use the rear part of the front subframe for the business end of the vehicle, and the rear beam for its sweet, sweet arse.

Our S60 has large, dedicated jacking points at each corner. Well done Sweden, 10 points. France, take note.

Alternatively, the floor pans are a good bet. With these, remember to jack up hard and fast (just how she likes it(wheey!)). Don't spread the load with wood. Hoist the car as high as possible and get in and out of it many times.
Posted 23rd Mar 2012 at 19:41
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Jacking the front on the sills high enough raises the rear at the same time Thumbs up

I usually go for sub frame for stands as mine seem to fit nicely between the bolts Yes
Posted 23rd Mar 2012 at 19:50
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
tompaltridge wrote:

I always use the rear part of the front subframe for the business end of the vehicle, and the rear beam for its sweet, sweet arse.

LOL LOL

tompaltridge wrote:
Alternatively, the floor pans are a good bet. With these, remember to jack up hard and fast (just how she likes it(wheey!)). Don't spread the load with wood. Hoist the car as high as possible and get in and out of it many times.

...especially at the rear where the floor, like most of the other panels, is made of the silver foil out of Gauloise cigarette packets.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 24th Mar 2012 at 18:25