displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: kw coilover issue + mini front susp refurb
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Last week I noticed the car was pulling to the right under heavy/high speed braking.
Which sort of worried me, together with an untraceable random clunking I have at time (seems to come from the right side, rear, but may well be from the front, can't really trace it)

first thought where the p-bushes, they still seem to be in good condition, but already 1.5years old and taking my ride height into account I'll probably just put new ones on...

then I noticed some twit mounted 2 diff drop-links on the car, plastic one side, metal the other side.
One of them squeals like mad when wiggling it with a crowbar, so going to get new ones too, big question here, should I get the plastic or the metal ones? (I somehow seem to remember that the plastic ones are the best choice? can anyone please confirm this?)

But when we wiggled the wheel there was a weird knocking sound, like the sound you get when a bolt is loose. You could feel a fair amount of play too, definitely not wheel bearing, but more between the whole wheelhub/brake/strutbottom and the top of the strut.
I was thinking this would be due to a knackered top mount bearing, until we noticed the piston of the damper seems to be having 'play' within the damper itself (this is hard to explain) but then again there is no oil to be found around that area Blink I'd think a damper would lose oil when its broken...
So I'm wondering what could've caused this as I've never actually noticed anything of importance...

On the list to replace:
p-bushes
metal or plastic (?) drop-links
top mount bearings? (only the bearings and not the rubber blocks I presume?)
probably a new damper insert from KW (but I'll check what the local kw-dealer says about the issue)

anything else worth checking or renewing?

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Astor 306 Francorchamps RIP
Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
I Love this place. So many illiterate deluded fool's acting 'ard . . . and so many literate intelligent people to rip them apart and knock them back down again . . . ahh Cool
Posted 24th Jan 2012 at 00:50
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Sounds like the upper glacier bush has died, possibly the dampers got put together with an air bubble up there so it wasn't lubed, seen it before.

Any marks on the shaft of the damper?

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 24th Jan 2012 at 01:27
marco gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
When i replaced my droplinks i remember asking the same question. Try to get some Lemförder plastic ones. These are supposed to be better/harder than the oem ones and much better than the metal ones. Wink
I couldn't find anyones here in luxembourg or germany, so carl aka mechrepairs was so kind to bring me some when he came to the ring.

Hope this helps
Posted 24th Jan 2012 at 22:37
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
No idea what my local car part dealer will be able to provide me, pretty sure it won't be lemforder.
And carl? no thanks, one lost batch of goods was enough for me...

Regarding the damper: I didn't notice any markings at first sight, going to check again tomorrow, someone of the kw distributor is coming over to check, possibly getting a new insert for free (warranty)

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Astor 306 Francorchamps RIP
Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
I Love this place. So many illiterate deluded fool's acting 'ard . . . and so many literate intelligent people to rip them apart and knock them back down again . . . ahh Cool
Posted 25th Jan 2012 at 17:45