displaying posts 26 to 36 of 36

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: Budget suspension upgrade
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #26
welshpug! wrote:
personally I don't think I'd bother with solid mounts in a road car, you do still need a little give.

They don't stop the suspension from moving up and down, the standard mounts allow virtually zero linear movement only lateral. I would say that until you enter a corner most drivers would be hard pressed to notice any change in the feedback from the rear of the car between standard and SRBMs. Certainly no change in harshness from the back on mine.nd if its lowered any then you should increase the baer size to 21mm, as the bottom out too easily as standard, remove 25-30mm of travel and keep the spring rate the same and the problem will be exaggerated.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 14th Jan 2012 at 20:21
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
I didn't like the extra turn in understeer from solids in my 205. Yes it was more planted, but the loos is great as a get out jail free card when you go in too quick. Miss it in the volvo..

Nothing to see here
Posted 14th Jan 2012 at 20:45
anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
welshpug! wrote:
spax? :x

Bilstein B4 front, o.e rear dampers, eibach springs rear adjusted 25mm.

JOB DONE Smile

Mine handled brilliantly when I renewed all the standard parts bar solid rear mounts and eibachs so also strongly recommend this it's the cheapest option.
Posted 14th Jan 2012 at 22:05
xaero1

Senior User

Post #29
I've just bought a hybrid ARB which I'm having fitted next week. Aside from that my suspension is completely standard.

Would it be a good shout to get a complete set of poly bushes as another low cost mod? Or does the cost of labour blow that idea out of the water?

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Posted 18th Jan 2012 at 16:49
anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
Solid rear mounts and genuine Citroen bushes.

Suspension is a massive can of worms though it all gets tired so for epic results replace the lot but that is costly
Posted 18th Jan 2012 at 19:39
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #31
I drove a 99% stock Rallye on the weekend, loved it bar the slightly slow steering and the tyres (I'm used to 205's/ ZX 16v and Michelins)

Standard beam mounts made it turn in nicely without being quite so pointy like the ZX due to the different rear toe.

Front dampers are actually a little bouncy but felt fine driving.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 19th Jan 2012 at 11:13
lewisdmz

Senior User

Post #32
I tend to have found that once you upset the factory settings of the car at all, it will take some careful decisions and maybe a bit of tweaking to get it right again.

My previous 306's have been fantastically neutral and it has staggered me how much grip they will give even on mid range tyres. More than once i've forgotten about a sharp corner until it was too late when driving at night and some how it managed to get round with almost no fuss.

I suppose what i'm saying is if you replace everything with OE Peugeot stuff you know it is a set up works bloody well together, once you start going for uprated this and that it becomes a bit more tricky to keep the balance they do so well. Of course it all depends on how you want it to handle, some people might prefer to have a more planted rear end at the expense of some turn in...

Just me 2p
Posted 19th Jan 2012 at 23:43
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
welshpug! wrote:
Front dampers are actually a little bouncy but felt fine driving.

Probably just a bit tired Wink

Nothing to see here
Posted 20th Jan 2012 at 10:44
tom275

Regular

Post #34
lewisdmz wrote:
I tend to have found that once you upset the factory settings of the car at all, it will take some careful decisions and maybe a bit of tweaking to get it right again.

My previous 306's have been fantastically neutral and it has staggered me how much grip they will give even on mid range tyres. More than once i've forgotten about a sharp corner until it was too late when driving at night and some how it managed to get round with almost no fuss.

I suppose what i'm saying is if you replace everything with OE Peugeot stuff you know it is a set up works bloody well together, once you start going for uprated this and that it becomes a bit more tricky to keep the balance they do so well. Of course it all depends on how you want it to handle, some people might prefer to have a more planted rear end at the expense of some turn in...

Just me 2p

That does all make sense, its all very well going lower stiffer etc but the stock suspension will have been extensively tested to work together and with the chassis etc

Probably worth saving the money for lighter wheels, better tyres and upgraded brakes! I have got a strut brace on the way though!
Posted 20th Jan 2012 at 13:09
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
I'm actually doing this upgrade now.

Just bought some Billy B4's, new BJ's, drop-links and top mount bearings.

I already have the Vibratechnics P-bush and I'm looking for some front wishbone bushes and springs as we speak.

GSF stock the springs (haven't phoned up to check the brand yet...) at £43.80 each. Poogeot want £84.96 per spring! GSF list the part number as 5002 P7, which is correct for the Rallye, so I'll possibly be taking a "chance" with those

Red Rallye - Rolling "restoration"

Wishbone Polybushes available
Posted 23rd Jan 2012 at 00:32
footah212

Senior User

Post #36
daver6 wrote:
I'm actually doing this upgrade now.

Just bought some Billy B4's, new BJ's, drop-links and top mount bearings.

I already have the Vibratechnics P-bush and I'm looking for some front wishbone bushes and springs as we speak.

GSF stock the springs (haven't phoned up to check the brand yet...) at £43.80 each. Poogeot want £84.96 per spring! GSF list the part number as 5002 P7, which is correct for the Rallye, so I'll possibly be taking a "chance" with those

I have some GSF springs that i could sell you, they only done about 2K milesWhistle

Phase 2 Blaze GTi6

PS3 - Black Ops 2

Engine crane for hire Renfrewshire
Posted 23rd Jan 2012 at 13:46

Pages (2): 1 [2]