displaying posts 26 to 34 of 34

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: R32 mk4 or remapped focus st-3??
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
E46 m3 over both of them i'm afraid

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 12th Jan 2012 at 20:18
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
MK1 focus RS Thumbs up

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 12th Jan 2012 at 20:20
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
Be very careful on the focus, especially remapping it.
It makes no sense to me - loads lower mpg than my volvo but its the same engine with a smaller turbo.

S60R is worth looking at over the focus, but can have the same cylinder cracking issue and buy after 2005. Make sure its had the angle gear done. 300/300 out of the box with trick suspension, 4wd and huge brembos. Very quick.

Nothing to see here
Posted 13th Jan 2012 at 19:59
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
Does it have to be practical? If not buy a Lotus Whistle

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 13th Jan 2012 at 20:05
judge dead

Regular

Post #30
on topic id pick the ST i dont like the looks off the R32 nor the mk5 one might just be me but i prefer the focus im getting one my self plus you can buy alot of stuff for the focus off volvo aswell same parts some cheaper then the other Smile and you can get a ford approved st300 pack wolf something its called Smile plus new focus ST comes out this summer so ST prices will drop
Posted 13th Jan 2012 at 20:13
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
My mate has just spent 1k on buying a good vanos unit and having the seals done on it, good fast cars for the money, 316bhp with torque to match and a good long box.

As fast as my high boost Dimma, but that wasn't actually 410bhp like I was told lol

Dimma + Gt35 turbo = Ninja
Solid rear beam mounts £130
Dan
Posted 13th Jan 2012 at 22:20
si_man306

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
Mk1 focus Rs if you're looking at hatchbacks. I didn't get on with my E46 (330ci m-sport) although it was immacculate with FBMWSH, I was continually replacing bits on it and they were serious money. The handling/ performance was poor too. I think the M3 would have made the experience better but then the bills are about 4x what I was paying, which was already obscene. It's a more grown up car than the hatches, with grown up bills to match.

Expensive to buy but cheap(ish) to run if you want a proper car get the lotus, it's a great experience and a very special peice of kit (in any elise/ exige form). Mk4 R32 is old now, and lardy with it. The mk4 golf's reliability was never anything to shout about either. I've driven that new ST 3 hard and it's very souless and not a great deal of fun..insanely thirsty too!

Have you looked at a wildcard....S2000 perhaps? Cheap as chips at the moment and a stonkingly good car.

"Rules are for the interpretation of wisemen and the obedience of fools" (Colin Chapman, Lotus founder)
Posted 13th Jan 2012 at 23:34
rikky 🦔

Post #33
can't deny my m3 Evo cost a fortune to run, some months it was £600 in bills just for small stuff and it was usually every month something went wrong. but I did clock up about 40k a year in it for 4 years LOL

e46 was leagues above it but still think the e36 was more raw

I totalled up vpower receipts for £21k in total I think in 3yrs for it. all good fun though

edit- £14151.97 june07 to april09

people replace the vanos cos of rattling but at the end of the day it's variable valve timing and helical shafts / gears so you're gonna get a rattle always. they don't fail often but always make a noise

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 13th Jan 2012 at 23:42
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
I never liked the Haldex 4WD system on those Golfs/TTs etc. Too complex and felt a bit artificial relying on electronic trickery. And it was only 4WD once traction was being lost at the front so it was 2WD 90% of the time. Also needs maintenance (fluid/filter changes) and very expensive if it goes wrong, which isn't unknown. I'd rather have a 1980s/90s Audi quattro with a proper 4WD system. The R32 was awesome to drive with a great noise but a bit heavy-feeling.

The Focus ST version I've not driven but I have driven several different Mk2 Focuses. The handling for what is a mundane grocery-getter is unbelievably good. It is tactile and responsive, fantastically good for what it is. I like 5-cyl engines and I think the Focus is well screwed together, if not quite as high quality as a VW, Audi or BMW. If you look closely at the instrument pack it is a little cheap, and you can see that in the rear the door car cappings are made of a cheaper material than the fronts. But as a driving proposition the Focus is much better than the Mk4 Golf. The ST will be a great driving tool if it is anywhere near as good as the cheaper versions. And for the performance it will be cheaper to run than a M3, though I would seriously consider a E46 M3.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 14th Jan 2012 at 17:41

Pages (2): 1 [2]