displaying posts 1 to 25 of 79

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: Under Pressure !!!
ravemercer

Regular

Post #1
Been having a few problems with the cooling system and to cut a long story short.

Fan relays stopped working the car ran hot around 110c (No Stop Light)

Matrix went pop replaced with new unit and then the matrix pipes broke getting them off Angry replaced with decent
secondhand pipes.

Bled the system x 5 and Snapped the thermostat bleed screw undoing it Angry the system still kept losing all the
coolant within a couple days.

Replaced the old rad with a new Nissens alloy rad with a new lower pipe to match.

Coolant seems to stay now but the 6 sat unused for a day then 2 days but there was still enough pressure to lose a small cup worth of coolant when I took the rad cap off each time.

Bled the system couple more times.

Once its bled all seems ok but after its been used and then sat for a while then started again with a few revs I can here water rushing back into the matrix cant remember is this normal ?

Is there any reason apart from Head gasket on its way out for pressure staying in the cooling system ?

If the system is overfilled with the cap put back on will it just loose the extra coolant through the overflow pipe on its own ?

Cheers for any help !

David
Posted 6th Jan 2012 at 20:38
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
heater matrix should be bled too so there shouldnt be any air in there at all so no, not normal. But the only time iv seen a rad stay pressurised was when the hg is fooked.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 6th Jan 2012 at 21:04
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Just seen your in kent. Where you from?

Posted 6th Jan 2012 at 21:05
ravemercer

Regular

Post #4
I had bled the matrix several times even left the cap off and run at fast idle with it p*ssing out with no bubbles.
Seems once the engines off and as it cools the right hand pipe has no coolant after a while not sure if all pipes should be solid with coolant when cool or not any ideas ?

HG Cry I've changed so many parts since I've had the car.

Live in Strood near rochester
Posted 6th Jan 2012 at 21:19
ravemercer

Regular

Post #5
Where bout you live then Arron and what you got ?

I've been thinking HG but just want to rule out every thing else first.
Posted 6th Jan 2012 at 21:30
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Its the HG mate, i tryed to kid myself for ages. Blew the heater matrix, rad, top and bottom hose. Not funny at all!

owain wrote:
A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
Posted 6th Jan 2012 at 21:41
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Im from maidstone. Here's my china. Wink

What you got matey?

Your problem does sound head gaskety indeed. And if left could blow alsorts. Will pay you too get the car sniff and compression tested.

Then... drag yourself to a kent meet

You could meet loads of us. Its good social seen umongst the kent lads as most are based in maidstone or medway.Smile
Heres some of us.

Posted 6th Jan 2012 at 21:55
ravemercer

Regular

Post #8
I know I've been kidding myself for ages I think and putting it down to everything else first just hoping that I was bleeding it wrong or another reason .

How much did it cost you ? Also does the head always need to be skimmed ?

Did you no signs of oil/coolant mix at all ?
Posted 6th Jan 2012 at 21:58
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
You'll be looking at around £500 all in i reckon. And yeah, the head will need a skim for sure and pressure test too. All of which should be included in the price.

Posted 6th Jan 2012 at 22:01
ravemercer

Regular

Post #10
Nice Arron I had a 1.6 china meridian love that color just gave the car to my brother. Should of kept it with all this talk of Headgaskets lol !

Had spoke to a couple of people on here about coming to a meet but the car was either not how I wanted it or has something wrong with it. I've spent more money on the car than I paid for it in the last 2 years admittedly on a few upgrades.

If its HG and depending on how much its gonna cost properly just going to break it as starting to lose the love with the pugs now maybe something newer less likely to break all the time.
Supposed to be buying a van for work soon so this couldn't of come at a worst time really. Sad

Heres mine

Posted 6th Jan 2012 at 22:27
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Shame to break somthing so nice. Put the money in to it now and it should be reliable for more years to come!

owain wrote:
A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
Posted 6th Jan 2012 at 22:34
ravemercer

Regular

Post #12
I'll try and find somewhere to get a sniff test done and see where It leads.
cheers guys
Posted 6th Jan 2012 at 23:45
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
atterz wrote:
Shame to break somthing so nice. Put the money in to it now and it should be reliable for more years to come!
I agree. Get the gasket done if it is that and the car will probly be fine. What other stuff has gone wrong with it?
Looks lovely by the way. Suprised iv not seen it about. Smile

Posted 7th Jan 2012 at 09:56
ravemercer

Regular

Post #14
Used to go into maidstone every wednesday for college not seen one 6 or rally in maidstone for the last couple years.

Replaced whole front suspension, Cluch & cable, wheel bearings, drive shafts, multiple sensors & relays, fans, icv, new inlet gasket/refit, exhaust and got a small leak from crank seal theres somethings wrong with the rack as no one can seem do the tracking right.
Rebuilding the rear beam at the moment various other bits and hundreds spent on upgrades never ending pit of money since i brought it really. Smile

The car had a new HG in early 06 on 58k I have a receipt for the head being skimmed if it turns out to be the HG can the heads on these be skimmed twice ?
Posted 7th Jan 2012 at 10:44
ravemercer

Regular

Post #15
Well got the sniff test done theres no hydrocarbons in the coolant thank god ....

Hopefully there was just to much coolant in the system even though I did drain to half way down the expansion take maybe needed to settle down and further draining.
Will see over the next week if the matrix blows cold again hopefully it could of been slightly over filled.

If not I'll get a compression test done.
Posted 7th Jan 2012 at 12:58
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
They do get hot enough to throw a little bit of coolant out!

owain wrote:
Posted 7th Jan 2012 at 13:23
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Fair enough. Compression test should be done anyhow really. Did the garage say what might cause the system to stay pressurised? Did they bleed the coolent at all? Good start though. Smile

Now... Get that car out! LOL

Posted 8th Jan 2012 at 09:35
ravemercer

Regular

Post #18
atterz wrote:
They do get hot enough to throw a little bit of coolant out!

Not sure what you mean ????

My problem is when its been sat there for 1-2 days it's still throwing a cup of water at me.
Posted 13th Jan 2012 at 17:35
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
sounds like the head gasket to me too. When mine went it was blowing inbetween the cylinders and also into the coolant system so whenever i ran the car it produced a huge amount of pressure into the coolant system.

When the car was switched off the pressure was then pushing coolant back into the cylinder causing a missfire on start up because one of the cylinders had moisture in there. This cleared after a few revs and the moisture was burnt off.

Before I got the headgasket fixed - when id stop the car i used to slowly release the radiator cap to release the pressure build up and that stopped the missfire.

from what ive heard there is only a certain amount of times you can skim the head - apparently theres a mark on the head to indicate the maximum you can remove, dunno if this is correct or not Dunno

Team Peugeot Sport 308 Gti

Black T'99 Gti - may she rest in peace - written off in a shunt on the A329m
Posted 13th Jan 2012 at 18:38
ravemercer

Regular

Post #20
aaron6 wrote:
Fair enough. Compression test should be done anyhow really. Did the garage say what might cause the system to stay pressurised? Did they bleed the coolent at all? Good start though. Smile

Now... Get that car out! LOL

The guy did the test free of charge which was nice of him. I talked through with the bleeding method, he just said that I wasn't doing anything wrong and the car sounded as if it was running well. Also I could expect to see white smoke/ water out of the tail pipe and misfire if the HG had gone.

Been using the car for work all week, doing around 300 miles and it's running fine.
But there is still pressure though, just air no coolant throwing out any more. Another thing I have noticed is the coolant level in the expansion tank one day was very close to the bottom and a few days later was half way up Dunno .

The matrix is still heating up nicely so I'm still unsure if I'm bleeding it wrong ill have to post up on here how I'm bleeding the system and see what people think hopefully a few extra tips.

Hopefully its just an air lock but I've bled it literally about 6 times before the rad change and a few times after now.
Posted 13th Jan 2012 at 19:13
ravemercer

Regular

Post #21
darkgti6 wrote:
sounds like the head gasket to me too. When mine went it was blowing inbetween the cylinders and also into the coolant system so whenever i ran the car it produced a huge amount of pressure into the coolant system.

When the car was switched off the pressure was then pushing coolant back into the cylinder causing a missfire on start up because one of the cylinders had moisture in there. This cleared after a few revs and the moisture was burnt off.

Before I got the headgasket fixed - when id stop the car i used to slowly release the radiator cap to release the pressure build up and that stopped the missfire.

from what ive heard there is only a certain amount of times you can skim the head - apparently theres a mark on the head to indicate the maximum you can remove, dunno if this is correct or not Dunno

I suppose it could well be doing what your saying but theres no misfire at the moment so unless the coolants not making its way back into the bores, did you have any trouble starting it ?
Posted 13th Jan 2012 at 19:22
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
If you dont mind driving to marden my mechanic who is very good and now knows 6's (iv had 2 over 6 years and another mate uses him) would look at it if you gave him a buzz.

Posted 13th Jan 2012 at 20:14
ravemercer

Regular

Post #23
Sounds good google says only half an hour away from home I'm used to the journey work that way near Headcorn.

Going to put my bleed method up and bleed it again this weekend see how it goes next week first.

you go a name and number might give him a bell ?

Went out for a meal for my bros 21st Newnham court you know it ?
Posted 13th Jan 2012 at 21:42
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
ravemercer wrote:

I suppose it could well be doing what your saying but theres no misfire at the moment so unless the coolants not making its way back into the bores, did you have any trouble starting it ?

Nope - and didnt seem to be down on power either.

Posted 13th Jan 2012 at 22:30
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
ravemercer wrote:

Also I could expect to see white smoke/ water out of the tail pipe .

Well my headgasket was in a dire state and didnt show any of these symptoms. Only pressure in the coolant system.

Posted 13th Jan 2012 at 22:34

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 .. last