displaying posts 1 to 19 of 19

Author Subject: odyssey pc680 battery
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
at the moment i have relocated my battery to the boot for beter weight distribution. its worked as the front end rolls less now. im still looking for other lightweight mods aswell and im "weighing" up my options pound for pound as it were Big grin. the battery compared to carbon fibre bonnet, lighter seats, plastic windows.....it seems a cheaper option

i was looking at these odyssey batteries. their over half the weight, over half the size and better capacity/cranking than my current battery,

my questions are

1. has anyone tried these batteires out before?, specificaly the pc680, what did you think of them?
2. i plan on mounting this under the paseenger seat as it should fit and aid my weight distriibution saga. will this be an mot fail?

thanks for any info in advance

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 01:43
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
dump the heavy wheels first, you'll get more benefit from that than a lighter battery.#

1, probably, do a searhc.

2, no.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 10:32
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
sounds really silly and like im being hippocritical but i really like them, so much i dont mind the extra weight Smile

know anyone with a cnc wheel maker? wouldnt mind the same design in a lighter compound with a bit more dish on the rim. maybe a better offset aswell as i need 15mm spacers minimum for them to fit on my 306 with the coilovers.

thanks for the info

Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 15:00
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
jimmyhackers wrote:
i have relocated my battery to the boot for beter weight distribution. its worked as the front end rolls less now

This effect is in your head I'm afraid. 10kg taken off a 200kg engine is going to make absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 15:23
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
my batteries closer to 15kg :s thats like 7% difference, i know its really much less. i noticed it so lets just say im sensitive. Big grin so sensitive i noticed the diference when i mooved my battery from my boot to behind my rear passenger seat in my 1.4. cant do this in my gti as i want to keep the rear seats functional

thats kinda the reason why i looked for a better/smaller battery and found this. the half sized (pos) cable will counteract the slow cranking. ill get my weight distribution/reduction, and its will all be out of sight under the passenger seat.

the battery is situated rather high up in the engine bay. the majority of the engines weight is in the bottom end. this also gives me a feeling a carbon bonnet and plastics windows will be noticble through the corners aswell. seeing as there situated even higher up.

Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 15:54
velar

Regular

Post #6
owain wrote:
10kg taken off a 200kg engine is going to make absolutely no difference whatsoever.

WRONG, every bit helps. !!

L reg "black and blue" phase 1 track 6
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 16:19
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
quote:
[quote="jimmyhackers"
know anyone with a cnc wheel maker?

Yes.
Would you like to spend a grand per wheel?

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 21:57
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #8
those wheels do not ever need spacers on a 306.

if you want them wider -

http://www.force-racing.co.uk/wheels-15/

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 22:14
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
phillipm wrote:
quote:
[quote="jimmyhackers"
know anyone with a cnc wheel maker?

Yes.
Would you like to spend a grand per wheel?

not right now. think ill stick to 100 quid for a better battery to save 7kgs Big grin

Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 23:11
velar

Regular

Post #10
You can get the odyssey pc680 for a lot less than £100

ebay clicky

Posted 16th Dec 2011 at 23:38
woody.

Senior User

Post #11
Tbh I'd wait until the battery was dead and then maybe buy an odyssey one. Think how much the cable from front to back may weigh, could be more than you think?

But as welshpug says, dump the heavy wheels and get some lighter ones. Less unsprung weight FTW!
Posted 17th Dec 2011 at 02:53
velar

Regular

Post #12
woody. wrote:
Tbh I'd wait until the battery was dead and then maybe buy an odyssey one. Think how much the cable from front to back may weigh, could be more than you think?

My cable weighs just over 1Kg in total, but it's about getting weight further back in the car, and off the nose.

Posted 17th Dec 2011 at 12:33
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
i still have a use for the old batteries. i charge them with a solar panel for free and use them with my hho torch.

my cable too weighs around 1kg and is already installed. seeing as im about to half it i dont think it will offset the weight im loosing due to a new battery. i agree with you velar for the most part. making items lower will also aid cornering. hence me trying to shove this battery under the passenger seat. i was contemplating mooving my washer bottle to the boot or under a seat,

any other cheeky things like this youve done that i could imitate?

Posted 17th Dec 2011 at 12:56
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
jimmyhackers wrote:
i still have a use for the old batteries. i charge them with a solar panel for free and use them with my hho torch.

my cable too weighs around 1kg and is already installed. seeing as im about to half it i dont think it will offset the weight im loosing due to a new battery. i agree with you velar for the most part. making items lower will also aid cornering. hence me trying to shove this battery under the passenger seat. i was contemplating mooving my washer bottle to the boot or under a seat,

oh and i did get it for 84 quid off ebay. cheapest they had new, was one going second hand for like a tenner at the time but.......new and shiny is my weakness

Posted 17th Dec 2011 at 12:59
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
I havent bothered looking into the Odyssey battery but i imagine it will be similar to the Powervamp that i have in my track car. It stated that it has a limited number of uses, i think it mentioned 1000 if under good conditions, but if you flatten it it loses some etc.
I dont think i would bother using one on my daily driver tbh.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 17th Dec 2011 at 13:03
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
woody. wrote:
But as welshpug says, dump the heavy wheels and get some lighter ones. Less unsprung weight FTW!

i know this would loose me a fair bit of weight, but once again im gonna drop a bombshell and tell all i think the majority of lightweight wheels look like wolfrace boy racer jobbies from halfords. only other wheels i really like a deepdish borbet type a's/similar

thanks for the info anyways

ill stick with the retro 205 gti's for the moment.

Posted 17th Dec 2011 at 13:03
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
prism7guy wrote:
I havent bothered looking into the Odyssey battery but i imagine it will be similar to the Powervamp that i have in my track car. It stated that it has a limited number of uses, i think it mentioned 1000 if under good conditions, but if you flatten it it loses some etc.
I dont think i would bother using one on my daily driver tbh.

oh dear i havnt read this anywhere about this battery. hopefully its not an issue, says its life is 8 - 10 years. i will investigate further now. so basically if what your saying is true i can start and drive my car 1000 times :S (bout a years worth of driving). i dont plan on it going flat. ive mounted a solar panel on the parcel shelf thats kept my old battery topped up.

its ordered now so i may aswell use it and report back on here on how happy i am with it

Posted 17th Dec 2011 at 13:10
velar

Regular

Post #18
jimmyhackers wrote:

Most are covered on this forum, but I would remove any front driving/fog lamps, get a smaller alternator, ditch Aircon, Strip the bonnet, (or get a GRP one] manual window winders, smaller single fan, aluminium brake calipers and diffo put some light wheels on it!!!! (have a look and daveyboys anthracite pro race 1.2s wheels on this track car thread Love Love)

P.S leave the water bottle were it is, but run it almost empty all the time.

Posted 17th Dec 2011 at 15:40
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
thanks for the info. ive done/planned on most of the stuff on your list already Smile

looks like im running out of options Sad

p.s just weighed my rear head rests today. 1kg each!!! i should of really weighed everything ive taken off the car. i bet its around the 30-40kg mark. pair that with the fact its phase one with no aircon or sunroof. should be pretty floaty about now. ill get it on the scales next time im down the scrapies. and make a "whats your vehicle weigh?" thread

Posted 18th Dec 2011 at 14:46