displaying posts 26 to 39 of 39

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: Castrol GTX 10-40
bennn

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
I’ve heard the same about leaving a car idle being bad for it, something to do with bores glazing over. I know when you are running in a new engine you are supposed to avoid idling for this very reason. I avoid idling unless my car is iced over no point IMO I just drive gently till its warm.

I always thought it was easy enough in the 6 to tell when its warmed up I just looked at the oil temp guage Huh?

I was of the understanding that the W is just a viscosity rating when cold. IE a 0w is much thinner than a 10W when cold so will flow better from cold and warm up quicker.

Cherry Red 306 HDI
Championship White Integra DC5 Type R
Posted 14th Dec 2011 at 11:34
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
Mobil 1 0w40 FS here Smile Though any 10w40 Semi is more than up to the job.

There will be people who will say some oils are better than others.. but its mostly crap. Unless you find a report which shows how the oils breakdown differently, I'd say it's pointless to say "oh, GTX is shit, you want Pugs own" etc.

Comes down to money and personal preference, usually this is a strong correlation. I get my Mobil 1 for next to nothing, so I use it. I could also get Semi for the same price, but personally, I'll keep using the fully synthetic.

Like Benn says, warms up quicker from cold and I feel happier thinking it wont break down as easily when HOT!

Red Rallye - Rolling "restoration"

Wishbone Polybushes available
Posted 14th Dec 2011 at 12:08
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
A new engine could glaze the bores, which is why some manufacturers use mineral oil until the engine is "worn" in I've let all my cars idles for 5/10 mins and the mileage I have recieved speaks for itself. You'd be hard pushed to glaze the bores on an engine with mileage.

A test of good oil is how long it clings to the components for after being switched off. 1 day 2 days etc.

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 14th Dec 2011 at 12:21
bennn

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
Well you know more than me Dunno

Cherry Red 306 HDI
Posted 14th Dec 2011 at 12:26
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
My 6 does not get on with mobil 1, when I start it, I always had a noisy lifter, I now use total quartz 7000 and its fine. I never had any issues with gtx either. But another thing I didnt rate with mobil 1, the oil always came out like p*ss after 7k miles. Just seemed to thin for my liking. Smile

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 14th Dec 2011 at 13:27
nafeun

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
benn where do you get your oil from in town?

No man remains quite what he was when he recognises himself and buys a 6 172 Cup RS Megane R26 DONK EDITION
Posted 14th Dec 2011 at 13:29
bennn

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
Just Used to get shafted at halfords. About £40 for 5 litres! I use elf in the 182 now and ordered it online from nielsencdg.co.uk

You live in Shrewsbury do you?

Cherry Red 306 HDI
Posted 14th Dec 2011 at 14:27
nafeun

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
Yeah, I have seen your 182 about - parked at the cinema on old potts way a month or so back.

No man remains quite what he was when he recognises himself and buys a 6 172 Cup RS Megane R26 DONK EDITION
Posted 14th Dec 2011 at 18:38
bennn

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
Ah right. You still in the r26?

Cherry Red 306 HDI
Posted 14th Dec 2011 at 21:13
clen666

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
Just drive it from cold but keep the revs down until warm.
Better running at 2-2.5k than idle

Team 'unintentional rat look'
Posted 14th Dec 2011 at 21:42
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
Ive done 36K in the last 11 months, every morning, i switch her on and leave straight away, dont take her past 3k revs until oil and water temps are up. Take her straight onto a 70mph A-road within 1 mile of my house where she sits and does a further 9 miles and warms pretty quickly!

Have also been using 5w40 fully synth from Carlube. Had about 3 or 4 oil changes in that time with a new filter every time. Oil temp gauge starts to move anywhere after 2 to 8 miles of driving in the morning dependent on how cold it is outside.....tends to take the latter at the moment due to it being so bitter at the moment!

Does tend to use a little bit of oil though, not sure if this is because of the brand or just a result of the mileage shes putting in. Just needs a little topup every now and then....

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 14th Dec 2011 at 22:06
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
You drive like a girl that's why it use it's oil Yes
Posted 14th Dec 2011 at 22:10
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
bigbadbowen wrote:
You drive like a girl that's why it use it's oil Yes

Apparantly girls are better drivers so i guess in a way, thats very true...i am a supreme driver Yes

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 14th Dec 2011 at 22:43
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
Oil threads always got a lot of replies.

I agree there is definitely no point leaving it idling for 10 whole mins before driving it. As others have said just keep the revs down and don't thrash it until the oil temp comes up.

Pug specified semi-synth for these cars and it is fine, but I use fully synthetic out of personal preference. Each to their own though.

Within some quality limits if it is wet and slippery it will do the job, but the main thing on higher mileage engines is probably to go a little bit thicker (but still within handbook recommendations e.g. avoid 0w30 and suchlike and go for a 5w40 or 10w40), especially if your engine uses oil. Mine is on 99,000 and has used none in 4000 miles.

Opinions on oil on forums are like @r$eholes. Everyone's got one.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 14th Dec 2011 at 23:55

Pages (2): 1 [2]