displaying posts 26 to 42 of 42

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: engien wont turn :S
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
For 3.5k I would have wanted a brand spanking engine in there anyway! Shock

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 22nd Nov 2011 at 17:48
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
Have you checked the oil level?

Goldie the track car.
Posted 22nd Nov 2011 at 20:08
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
jimmyhackers wrote:
hopefully they back me up in court when i sue him for the money ive spent getting my engine "rebuilt"

Absolutely zero chance. Honestly. Accept it and don't waste any more money on it, there is no way you'd successfully claim a garage were single-handedly responsible for a 15-year-old engine dying.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 23rd Nov 2011 at 11:11
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
never mind then. its still to be looked over by colin at pug performance next week.

i hope its something silly/cheapish and im a noob

if not... how can i be sure a 2nd hand engine is going to be any better than mines current reliability? its a gamble of sorts. hence why a rebuild or.........maybe a new engine with added trinkets after some discussion done by a proper mechanic is better

i plan on keeping this car for the next 5 years at least. i want it done properly

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 23rd Nov 2011 at 18:36
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #30
jimmyhackers wrote:
i plan on keeping this car for the next 5 years at least. i want it done properly

Bone up on techniques and do the work yourself, it's the ONLY way you will ever know it's done right.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 23rd Nov 2011 at 18:42
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
in the same way im happy with the standard engine. i dont feel like i need any more power right now or for the next year or so, i just want it to work reliably.

id rather do performance increases my way through weight reducton and my other sad methods. a carbon fibre hood and polycarb windows may be as expensive as a new engine or tb's or cams or even a turbo, but they are a lot less likely to go wrong.

plus weight reduction improves handling, increases bhp per tonne, increases breaking capacity and reduces break wear, increases mpg. where as generally any other engine modification just gives you a shed load of power less mpg and even more expensive stuff to go wrong.

thanks for the info so far guys

Posted 23rd Nov 2011 at 18:45
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
Have you spoken to Colin then ?

Guess I'll be helping him pick the car up if you have Thumbs up
Posted 23rd Nov 2011 at 18:45
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
shweet Smile

yes i have. hes going to ring me some time later on this week maybe 2moz to confirm. he reacons some time next week my cars being taken away by strange men Razz

guess its just a waiting game now, ill give her a good clean as that about all i can do with it at the moment Razz

ill see you next week some time. cant wait to find out whats wrong

Posted 23rd Nov 2011 at 18:51
judge dead

Regular

Post #34
if you do go down route of a new engine while its out might aswell do a HG on it since all 2nd handers will be around 90-100k+ milage and itl give you a chance to see any possible damage while ure there.
Posted 23rd Nov 2011 at 18:52
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #35
Throttle bodies are about as reliable as it gets, less sensors, better drivability and throttle response than forced induction, you wont gain much joy from stripping the car and it makes it a pain on anything other than a trackday. Light wheels, glassfibre bonnet (cheap) and some decent suspension/brake mods plus a 10/15% power hike turn this into the car you wanted from the start.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 23rd Nov 2011 at 18:53
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
how much are throttle bodies as in to get someone else to do so??

my mate with an mev rocket just bougt some. gone from 115bhp to 160 with a 1.8 zetec engine and it sounds.......the dogs bo***cks!!

wouldnt mind that if its within my pice range

Posted 23rd Nov 2011 at 18:58
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
ive already done minimal lightweighting. spare wheel, electric wing mirrors to dtm. some soundproofing, removed fogs. repositioned battery to the boot. de-wipered rear. remooved rear head rests. all quite pointless and anal by themselves but im of the opinion every little helps.

ive stripped my 1.4 and know all about ruining a car. i wont be doing so with this
ive already lowered it with coilovers.

next areas im concentrating on after my engines fine and my wallets recovered are

1. fitting decat pipe ive bought already plus diff backbox off old 1.4 306. thats a freebby as i can do so myself.
2. new lighter seats,
3. lighter bonnet
4. lighter windows
5. fitting my dad old steeringwheel from his long gone mg Razz

Posted 23rd Nov 2011 at 19:07
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
daveyboy wrote:
jimmyhackers wrote:

Bone up on techniques and do the work yourself, it's the ONLY way you will ever know it's done right.

Get rich w to rebuild it you, if he can do it reliably for 400bhp ten I'm sure he could do you a standard one.

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 23rd Nov 2011 at 19:26
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
your probably going to think spoilt brat when i tell you some recently learned info

however here goes. my rents havnt given me anything for my bdays and crimbo since i was 16 (24 on the 14th of dec) as i got caught growing cannabis in my bedroom by the police.

they feel as gutted as i do that my dream car after having myself saved and spent 3500 to make it reliably and its broken.

so theyve basically come back and said for this bday/crimbo well get your engine fixed how you want. (same prioce limit was what ive spent)

what do peopel suggest. the main thing is reliabilty. so im thikning tb's
is 3500 enough for a fulll engine rebuild andcam and tbs?

Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 17:16
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
tbh i should really speak this through with colin.

jsut want to get an opinion on it.

ill starta thread make it less complicated

Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 17:18
judge dead

Regular

Post #41
if you have 3500 for engine rebuild i seen someone had got there bottom end send away for complete rebuild new pistion rings ect (altho for 3.5k you could get new pistions) and crank done so he basicly had a brand new engine and just get the head skimmed de-coked new valves ect unless you can buy a new head of pug still? if you worry about 2nd hander head
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 17:25
greenbelt

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
If your parents are going to spend £3.5k on your car get it supercharged Yes

/thread

Standard Black 6
Black HBSC6 Smoke
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 17:29

Pages (2): 1 [2]