displaying posts 1 to 20 of 20

Author Subject: Track Day Regulars - Advice Needed
xaero1

Senior User

Post #1
Alright fellas, I attended my first track day and Knockhill on Saturday and got home instantly wanting to buy things for my car!!

So I have a standard Rallye with what I believe to be a knackered rear beam. I get a load knock going over speed bumps and the car is very tail happy when lifting off. Does that sound about right? If so, this is the first job.

Next I want to sort the wheels as I'm sick of not being able to get the tyres I want or even get my Cyclones balanced properly. I'm thinking of upgrading to 16" OZ alloys which will be lighter than Cyclones and I hope not degrade the handling. Are these a good shout? And would these allow easy brake upgrades in future?

Then I really need to consider new suspension. Although my car seemed quick on track I wasn't impressed with the body roll. If I'm upgrading the alloys I guess I should replace and stiffen the suspension too.

The overall goal is not to have an out and out track slag that's uncomfortable on the road. I'm looking for the best of both worlds I think. What would you recommend in terms of suspension and wheels to get what I want?

Any/all advice appreciated! Cheers Thumbs up

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Posted 14th Nov 2011 at 10:26
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
To be fair just look at the projects section as there are plenty of people doing the same kind of thing.

Wish list:
1. Sort beam (-20mm drop) adding a hyrbid arb. New Peugeot mounts (could be those).
2. eibach springs and B8s all round
3. decent brake pads
4. 15" 7" wide light wheels like a TD 1.2 and lighter tyres

Will give you a nicely damped comfy ride if a bit soft for track, but a good compromise.

Nothing to see here
Posted 14th Nov 2011 at 10:50
xaero1

Senior User

Post #3
Cheers Adam, will the ride be stiffer than with standard suspension though?

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Posted 14th Nov 2011 at 11:57
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #4
of course LOL but depends what you mean by "stiffer"

Don't worry too much about roll, its grip and balance you look for.

you could make it handle like a go kart on 1000 lb springs, which means lots and lots of grip, then NONE...

and would be bloody uncomfortable.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 14th Nov 2011 at 12:04
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
You'll find with stiffer dampers you won't notice the body roll so much anyway, you tend to notice the actual rate of roll* rather than the outright amount.
Mine rolls like a canoe in a tornado but I've had plenty of people comment on how flat it corners - it doesn't, the dampers just keep the roll rate under control so there's no sudden accelerations as such.

*Actually, the rate of acceleration change of the roll, but we won't go there LOL

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 14th Nov 2011 at 12:17
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
so you wont have much roll with 99 rabbits then Ninja

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 14th Nov 2011 at 13:14
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
phillipm wrote:
Actually, the rate of acceleration change of the roll, but we won't go there LOL

Keep your hat on - winter is coming and we wouldn't want that nice big brain of yours to get all cold Wink

Nothing to see here
Posted 14th Nov 2011 at 13:26
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
xaero1 wrote:
Cheers Adam, will the ride be stiffer than with standard suspension though?

Its a good compromise - the ride on the B8s is good. The eibachs aren't much stiffer than standard either.

Nothing to see here
Posted 14th Nov 2011 at 13:28
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
welshpug! wrote:
so you wont have much roll with 99 rabbits then Ninja

Last time I checked the engine didn't have all that much effect on the lateral acceleration rate Whistle

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 14th Nov 2011 at 13:36
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Mine has got B8's/eibachs on the front

Xsara 21mm TB's and B6's on the back with fresh OE beam mounts.

Yesterday at Donington, it was sublime. Turn in was sharp, balance was fantastic with very little LOOS unless provoked. Even kerb hopping wasnt too uncomfortable.

Passed lots of "better" cars, with M3's and Scoobys being murdered in the corners, if not the straights.

Best mods you can do for the money whilst keeping it lovely for the road. Suppleness is the key!

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 14th Nov 2011 at 14:46
chrisd306

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
ive got a set of 15" pro race 1.2's lying there waiting for you to pick them up lol fit over brembos/hispec/wilwood and kad brakes Lee!! your car looked good fun on saturday!

out of intrest mate what like was your n/s tyres after the day? mine were well f*cked!!

In my garage just now

2003 BMW M3 & 2009 L200 Raging Bull
& Audi Q5 S Line
AX stock rod & Saxo Stock rod
Sold the bike an charged rallye an bought a caravan, midlife crisis or what!
Posted 14th Nov 2011 at 15:04
xaero1

Senior User

Post #12
Tempting mate - can you post some pics and let me know a price? I'm really tempted with 16s though...!

Yeah the car was good fun, but LOOS was pretty heavy so I'm up for spending money on suspension. I'll probably bring it up to your dad's garage to get the work done?

My tyres were fine but that's only because I didn't do a huge number of laps. I had new Avons fitted on the front last week and they're hardly worn!

Thanks for replies on suspension in this thread so far. I'll do some research on prices and consider the upgrades as my Christmas present to myself Smile

Posted 14th Nov 2011 at 15:41
ewan_bcfc

Regular

Post #13
matt evans wrote:
Turn in was sharp, balance was fantastic with very little LOOS unless provoked. Even kerb hopping wasnt too uncomfortable.

Passed lots of "better" cars, with M3's and Scoobys being murdered in the corners, if not the straights.

Best mods you can do for the money whilst keeping it lovely for the road. Suppleness is the key!

This sounds great to me. I'm considering a similar set of mods to shift the standard road/track compromise towards the 'track' end of the scale.

What tyres was this on?
Posted 14th Nov 2011 at 15:55
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
ewan_bcfc wrote:
matt evans wrote:
Turn in was sharp, balance was fantastic with very little LOOS unless provoked. Even kerb hopping wasnt too uncomfortable.

This sounds great to me. I'm considering a similar set of mods to shift the standard road/track compromise towards the 'track' end of the scale.

What tyres was this on?

On R888's with C5 steelies, OMP road n Sport brake pads, which held up pretty well also.

Honestly i cant see the point in going any more than this if you intend to retain much road comfort, and as i use mine to holiday in europe in, i need it useable.

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 14th Nov 2011 at 16:03
ewan_bcfc

Regular

Post #15
cheers Matt, sounds good Thumbs up

sorry for the cheeky hijack xaero1! Razz
Posted 14th Nov 2011 at 16:06
rwgti

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
As mentioned there's various things you can do. And everything you do adds upto make it quicker and quicker which equals faster lap times!

I would say the single most important modification from mine and others experience is a set of "proper" track tyres. Get yourself some lightweight 15" alloys as Adam said and then stick some 888's or yokos on.
People who run so called good road tyres on track and say theres not much difference are delusional Laugh

Then there's a huge step in grip again upto full slicks but wouldn't recommend running them with out a car setup to suit and a cage!

Enjoy spending lots of money Thumbs up

Team Astor Grey Supercharged GTI 6

Posted 14th Nov 2011 at 18:20
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
If you don't already have one i'd recommend an oil cooler of some description.

I'd also look at tyre price difference between 15" and 16", i've seen a few threads on here where reasonably large discs can be squeezed inside some 15" wheels with 4 pots.

R888's are probably the best thing i have done for trackdays, but with the added grip expect more wear and tear on other things so it would probably be worth sorting the suspension out properly before fitting some.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 14th Nov 2011 at 18:53
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Change the suspension, track it a bit then change the tyres when you are used to the balance.

Nothing to see here
Posted 14th Nov 2011 at 19:07
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
There's something mentioned on the Lotus forums which is not often (if ever) mentioned on here and that's driver training. I mean borrow/pay for an instructor whilst out on track. They can make a fair difference to your lap times (apparently)Wink

I'm inclined to agree to this route of "modification" as it will enable you to make the best of what you've already got before *hopefully* making it better swapping suspension parts etc etc

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 14th Nov 2011 at 19:18
xaero1

Senior User

Post #20
Cheers Stevie but I'm a wizard on Forza Motorsport so I don't need any instruction mate...

.. Just kidding, LOL

Yeah it's a great shout. I know a few guys who've done a lot of track days but when they did some driver training they all became a lot faster. I'll look into doing some in the new year. For the moment though I will upgrade the suspension as the car seriously needs it.

Posted 14th Nov 2011 at 19:46