displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: big problem
slywhite

Regular

Post #1
hi all, just fitted another engine off a 6 member off here, mine is a phase 2 engine that has been taken out and a phase 3 one just been put in, fitted everything as it should be, new engine came with an unlocked ecu. after fitting tried to start and just turned over and over, put my ecu back on and it started but popped and farted then revved straight to red line, checked and cleaned all sensors and still no joy. changed TPS, ICV and MAP sensor to mine that i know worked before the swap. anyone got any suggestions? thanks in advance.

now a paid member and posted in the right section.

Posted 10th Nov 2011 at 21:07
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
does it keep on revving??? check the inlet mani is fully tightened i memeber my mate engine revving because extra air was getting in due to the mani not being tight

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 10th Nov 2011 at 21:17
slywhite

Regular

Post #3
keeps on revving at red line but i stop it after about 10 seconds, inlet is tight but not sure how tight it should be as it is a PTFE gasket, what i dont get as well is that the unlocked ECU wont start the car but my ECU will that is locked.
Posted 10th Nov 2011 at 21:38
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
with the "unlocked ecu" you normally just pop it in. more than likey locked. if you have the halo transponder and the little chip it should work. as for the ptfe gasket you sometimes have to trim them abit because they can block the airways "keep that in mind "and i think it 25nm for the bolts check in the faq section

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner

SEARCH

click here
Posted 10th Nov 2011 at 21:42
slywhite

Regular

Post #5
all i got was the engine gearbox loom and ecu, no transponder or chip. with the unlocked ecu on the car it does everything it should when turning the ignition on, fuel pump primes the lines, engine turns over but just wont fire up. will have another look tomorrow in daylight. thanks for the help.
Posted 10th Nov 2011 at 21:54
funkymonk

Regular

Post #6
Sounds like the new ECU isn't unlocked for a start, and that as hovis says sounds very much like an air leak, no way the ICV should be open enough to redline it, don't supposed you have a new standard inlet mani gasket spare to check? TB gasket in place? Ask how they 'unlocked' your ECU and check out everything that could leak between TB and head.

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't...
Posted 10th Nov 2011 at 22:00
slywhite

Regular

Post #7
got an old manifold gasket off the new engine i could try, i bought the engine off buddagti6 and he told me it was unlocked, so just taking his word for it really. TB gasket is in place but do have a new one i can put on to try. i can only see a total of 3 vacuum hoses that go on the engine, is this correct? one form the brown soleniod near the cam belt cover, one from vacuum pump to inlet manifold and inlet manifold to fuel pressure regulator.
Posted 10th Nov 2011 at 22:42
slywhite

Regular

Post #8
hi all, just to let you know i have sorted it now, turned out to be the PTFE gasket, took it off the car got it in the garage and sanded it down with orbital sander put it back on the car tightened it up and now starts and runs fine. thanks for the help chaps.
Posted 11th Nov 2011 at 18:21
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
I was going to suggest checking the resonator under the inlet manifold is fitted correctly and not cracked, but good job its sorted

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
Forum Search Clicky
Posted 11th Nov 2011 at 18:36
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
slywhite wrote:
hi all, just to let you know i have sorted it now, turned out to be the PTFE gasket, took it off the car got it in the garage and sanded it down with orbital sander put it back on the car tightened it up and now starts and runs fine. thanks for the help chaps.

goody goody gum drops LOL

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner

SEARCH

click here
Posted 11th Nov 2011 at 18:38
slywhite

Regular

Post #11
monkeyman wrote:
I was going to suggest checking the resonator under the inlet manifold is fitted correctly and not cracked, but good job its sorted

dont have the resonator on any more, have made my own bung and plugged it.
Posted 11th Nov 2011 at 19:14