displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Timing
Rix13

Regular

Post #1
Right car off is off to get timing belt done on friday and was wondering whilst its getting done if the timing could be fettled with. Anyone changed it on theirs and if so is there much point?

www.eastcoastmodified.org

E46 318i tourer SE - Dog Car/Work horse
306 Gti - Track Project
Posted 1st Nov 2011 at 19:45
info@pug1off.com

Post #2
The standard timing is a little odd, roughly the peak angles are 116 inlet and 106 exhaust from memory, hence the larger cut out on the exhaust pocket of a standard piston. This is done by Peugeot in an attempt to give a smoother power delivery for the normal road user. I'm pretty sure you'd get more power at the top end by making it more like 112/112 but you would then have an engine that would almost certainly want remapping to get the best from it and probably to increase the rev limit.

Do you have the correct gear to time these in accurately? And after all this hassle would it not make more sense to go for some Catcams 106's and a remap?

Matt

N/A XU10J4RS = 302.1 bhp / 184.2 lb.ft
Turbo XU10J4RS = 500.2 bhp / 443 lb.ft
USC 2011 Double Class winners
N/A FWD 0-60 winners at TRAX 2011

Developers, stockists and installers of superior upgrades for the Peugeot 306 GTi6 & Rallye, including:-

*NEW!!!!! 4.8:1 final drive for BE3/6
*BBM Group N engine mounts
*Cat Cams and vernier pulleys
*Emerald ECU's
*Jenvey throttle bodies
*Uprated gear linkages and short shifts
*Quaife & Tran-X LSD's for BE3/6
*Tar-Ox brake discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads
*Solid rear beam mounts
*21-25mm torsion bars
*25mm rear anti roll bars
Posted 7th Nov 2011 at 21:32
info@pug1off.com

Post #3
The standard timing is a little odd, roughly the peak angles are 116 inlet and 106 exhaust from memory, hence the larger cut out on the exhaust pocket of a standard piston. This is done by Peugeot in an attempt to give a smoother power delivery for the normal road user. I'm pretty sure you'd get more power at the top end by making it more like 112/112 but you would then have an engine that would almost certainly want remapping to get the best from it and probably to increase the rev limit.

Do you have the correct gear to time these in accurately? And after all this hassle would it not make more sense to go for some Catcams 106's and a remap?

Matt

N/A XU10J4RS = 302.1 bhp / 184.2 lb.ft
Turbo XU10J4RS = 500.2 bhp / 443 lb.ft
USC 2011 Double Class winners
N/A FWD 0-60 winners at TRAX 2011

Developers, stockists and installers of superior upgrades for the Peugeot 306 GTi6 & Rallye, including:-

*NEW!!!!! 4.8:1 final drive for BE3/6
*BBM Group N engine mounts
*Cat Cams and vernier pulleys
*Emerald ECU's
*Jenvey throttle bodies
*Uprated gear linkages and short shifts
*Quaife & Tran-X LSD's for BE3/6
*Tar-Ox brake discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads
*Solid rear beam mounts
*21-25mm torsion bars
*25mm rear anti roll bars
Posted 7th Nov 2011 at 21:32
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Some cam advance will give you more mid range and peak torque, mine had this done by a local rally company. I never did find out any figures on how much they were advanced, however it did make 156lbft on a variety of different rolling roads with slightly higher than standard power.

Welshpug has played with it a bit iirc.

Nothing to see here
Posted 7th Nov 2011 at 21:59
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I've advanced my inlet cam a couple of degrees and made 150lbft with a decat, previously 145lbft with standard cat and Magnex catback.

Back on the standard exhaust now i'd expect around Adam's torque figures with the cat refitted, bhp has consistently been around the 175 mark on 3 different RR's.

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 7th Nov 2011 at 22:32
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
IIRC mine was advanced 6 degrees, but I never got the car RR'd, and it now runs a PH2 inlet set to the figures it came with and the standard exhaust as intended.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 7th Nov 2011 at 22:49
docwra

Regular

Post #7
adam b wrote:
Some cam advance will give you more mid range and peak torque, mine had this done by a local rally company. I never did find out any figures on how much they were advanced, however it did make 156lbft on a variety of different rolling roads with slightly higher than standard power.

Welshpug has played with it a bit iirc.

Mine was done when I bought it, then got put back to standard when the cambelt was changed. I got it advanced again, TBH it made enough difference for me not to like the car without it. I had a standard Ph1 as well as the advanced Ph2 and they were noticably different to drive, the Ph2 did use a fair chunk more fuel though.

The only figure Ive ever heard for the amount of advance is "a bit", not too technical Whistle but would be good to get something hard and fast as Im about to have the cambelt done again and dont fancy a drive to Leicester to get it advanced for a third time Crazy

Lots of Nissans, two 306 GTI-6's. They are catching up! Big grin
Posted 9th Nov 2011 at 13:31
Rix13

Regular

Post #8
well spoke the guys when it got done and they said if i gave them the figures they could have a go but if anything went wrong they wouldnt be held reponsible so i just left it. going to get rr'd begining of next year so i can get a figure to start with and see where i go from there

www.eastcoastmodified.org

E46 318i tourer SE - Dog Car/Work horse
306 Gti - Track Project
Posted 10th Nov 2011 at 20:52