displaying posts 26 to 45 of 45

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: Rallye resto (OTR 08/10/12 :))
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #26
I'd say it looks best on cyclones if you're going oem-ish but speedlines for a nice twist.

The Oz's look w**k! Yes
Posted 9th Jun 2012 at 19:13
darrengti

Regular

Post #27
roland rat wrote:
I'd say it looks best on cyclones if you're going oem-ish but speedlines for a nice twist.

The Oz's look w**k! Yes

The Speedlines got sold to fund Christmas Sad Would not get another set for what I sold them at so would be a loss to buy another set. Did love them though.

Them OZ's are standard fit one 172's, surprised you don't like them... Razz They are mid refurb though, only cost me £52 including tyres with plenty of life in them.

And then there's the cyclones, I must be growing old as I think it sits too low with them on.
Posted 9th Jun 2012 at 20:40
scotzman

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
Good read, gave me some heart as mine is pretty much identicle to yours as it was at the beginning right down to that relay, mine is broken in exactly the same way.

'90 1.6 205 GTi, '98 306 GTi-6
Posted 9th Jun 2012 at 21:26
yippeekayay

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
cough cough.... got some lurvally speedlines for sale will part ex cyclones for them....

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=147368

they are the dogs...

306 less for first time in nearly 7 years. Lets keep it that way... please refuse any offers i make to buy your 306 ( doctors letter supplied by request)

Marmite and cheese sandwiches anyone???

Burns and Mcrae will be forever missed.
x box "yippeekayaymofo"
Posted 10th Jun 2012 at 01:54
darrengti

Regular

Post #30
Probably final weekend on the car for a week or two as the Mrs has some time off. So I attacked it pretty hard. Results:

Boot floor:
Before

During

After (a second coat of red was subsequently applied)

Front end:
Stripped

During

Painted (all repainted areas were bare metalled, where possbile, then two coats of Bilt Hamber zinc primer and two coats of Hammerite)

Slam panel, again stripped and repainted. Also did ABS pump and battery tray brackets.

Nearly done, ran out of light so no pics of the new induction kit or bumper fitted.

To finish I still need some welding where it has been jacked up on the floor by previous owner and cambelt change. Once my uncle has sorted that I will finish the wheel arches and either drop the rear or raise the front.

I know it's not to the same standard as Kev or Matt's cars but I don't have the time or money. I just want to future proof the car for the next few years and enjoy using it.

Posted 3rd Jul 2012 at 18:46
darrengti

Regular

Post #31
And after putting all the together I'm collecting a replacement rad from DanGTi6 tomorrow, doh!!
Posted 3rd Jul 2012 at 19:03
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
Nice work - pretty much exactly what I am preparing to do to mine, except I will replace rad while it is apart.

Currently I have got battery tray out, and have dug out lifting paint along the seam under the battery tray and the vertical one behind the cut-off switch, where behind the seam sealer there is a bit of surface rust but luckily no holes. Amazing how much salt/grit/road muck residue has been flushed out too.

Then I will do the same as yours, including slam panel. I too am using Bilt-Hamber Electrox, with red enamel metal paint over the top, with Bilt Hamber Dynax UC clear surface wax over the top of that. I will give it all a really good wash to get rid of salt residue, and Dynax S50 cavity wax in the cavities/box sections.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 3rd Jul 2012 at 19:05
darrengti

Regular

Post #33
Sounds like we have matching cars Mik! I've cleared out under the battery tray and painted, also had a random spot on the bulkhead. Also filled the chassis rails with underseal/waxoil. The outside of the rails were pretty poor condition, took serious effort to clean them up. You got many pics of your progress on your thread?
Posted 3rd Jul 2012 at 19:33
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
Looking goodYes

Really would like to strip the front end of mine and do a Matt to it!Yes

What have you done to the slam panel,rubbed down and rattle canned?Looks niceCool

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 3rd Jul 2012 at 20:52
darrengti

Regular

Post #35
Cheers Kev. I was saying to the step dad (his garage) if I had the space in my garage the engine would have come out too.

Slam panel was done with wire brush attachment on a drill, bilt hamber rattle can primer then hammerite satin black rattle can. That's almost £20 of paint and no surplus, expensive hobby these cars! It's not perfect as I had to get everything done in the two days, it lives outside the rest of the time.
Posted 3rd Jul 2012 at 21:00
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
darrengti wrote:
Sounds like we have matching cars Mik! I've cleared out under the battery tray and painted, also had a random spot on the bulkhead. Also filled the chassis rails with underseal/waxoil. The outside of the rails were pretty poor condition, took serious effort to clean them up. You got many pics of your progress on your thread?

Matching cars LOL yes, true. Almost done the outside of the chassis rails, have got Dynax S50 cavity wax to fill the insides.

Will take some more photos and post them on my thread once I get the car out of the garage in a week or two.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 4th Jul 2012 at 17:26
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
darrengti wrote:
Cheers Kev. I was saying to the step dad (his garage) if I had the space in my garage the engine would have come out too.

Slam panel was done with wire brush attachment on a drill, bilt hamber rattle can primer then hammerite satin black rattle can. That's almost £20 of paint and no surplus, expensive hobby these cars! It's not perfect as I had to get everything done in the two days, it lives outside the rest of the time.

looks good satinCool

do look good colour coded though,think I would do mine red if ever get round to doing front endWink

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 6th Jul 2012 at 09:18
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
Good work as normal, soon there will be a flurry of minty red rallyes in the club (and kevs....).

Its satisfying getting rid of the grot. Mine didnt look too bad, and indeed across the bulkhead was imaculate, more on the inside and underneath of the front chassis legs in the engine bay. Sooo much easier with the engine out, although a lot more work. I put loads of spray Bilt hamber cavity wax down the chassis rails and all accross the seam on the bulkhead (cant see it with the engine back in either), so hopefully it should last some time to come.

The slam panel looks great Darren, really smartens the bay up, as they look real scabby in a lot of 6's.

Not sure if a red slam panel would look too good???

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 6th Jul 2012 at 10:13
darrengti

Regular

Post #39
Well. Almost on the road. Failed MOT today on rear o/s tyre, handbrake adjustment and headlight adjustment. Should be on the road by the weekend. Can't wait. Will get some pics of it then too.
Posted 2nd Oct 2012 at 18:49
darrengti

Regular

Post #40
WE ARE BACK ON THE ROAD!!!

MOTed at Halfords this weekend. I wouldn't normally use Halfords for anything but they were open on Sunday and the test was half price. Not too bad a service either except charging £13 to adjust the headlights. Got to make their money somewhere!

Under bonnet, you can see the chassis legs all painted up. Need to replace the silicone hose with a black version I think.

Interior refitted and tidied up. Added a little spot of modern by fitting the iPod controller headunit. Also hardwired in a USB charger in the top glovebox for phone, etc.

Evidence of the under body resto. Will get some better pics when it's dry and I'm not wearing my suit!

Took it for a little refamiliarisation thrash after the photos. It's been off the road 30 months and I'd forgotten the pull between 2nd, 3rd and 4th when pushing hard. I had a 200bhp VAG TDi and this just feels more fun. I might not be travelling as fast but it certainly feels like it.

To do list has been minimised now to having the bonnet and rear bumper resprayed. Happy days. Smile Smile Smile
Posted 8th Oct 2012 at 18:57
darrengti

Regular

Post #41
Well the phone camera s**te!
Posted 8th Oct 2012 at 19:05
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
Looks good, well done for getting it back on the road. I'm still working on my chassis rails but could do with no rain for a day or so to finish it off as we are moving soon, and bent/rusty power steering pipe below the rad is holding me up.

You should get P3 factory stereo surround and trim it as in my project thread to finish off stereo.

Great to see it back on the road.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 8th Oct 2012 at 21:41
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
I've got some ideas for my cherry road car now as well! I've got Arianes though so I won't be too similar to you guys Razz

Rallye Race Car
Posted 8th Oct 2012 at 21:59
hampstead

Junior User

Post #44
darrengti wrote:

MOTed at Halfords this weekend. I wouldn't normally use Halfords for anything but they were open on Sunday and the test was half price. Not too bad a service either except charging £13 to adjust the headlights. Got to make their money somewhere!

I found 'no, no, just fail it, I'll adjust the lights myself then bring it back for a free re-test' worked quite well. They turned the screw for free and had shot of me.

Matt
Posted 8th Oct 2012 at 22:59
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
hampstead wrote:
darrengti wrote:

I found 'no, no, just fail it, I'll adjust the lights myself then bring it back for a free re-test' worked quite well. They turned the screw for free and had shot of me.

...and saved yourself about £1.50 per minute.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 9th Oct 2012 at 22:08

Pages (2): 1 [2]