displaying posts 1 to 25 of 45

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Rallye resto (OTR 08/10/12 :))
darrengti

Regular

Post #1
Now I'm a fully paid up member I thought I'd keep track of the progress of my Rallye on here.

I bought it back in Feb 2009, these are some for sale photos:

Came fitted with a Magnex and K&N, all standard apart from that.

After a week or so I started swapping bits over from my old '6. That was the crystals, Speedline Comp2s, Pipercross Viper, Longlife exhaust and a couple other P3 bits.

I did manage to sort the paint on the rear bumper and ran it like this for a good while. Did the normal 306 repairs, namely rear axle mount, P bushes, drop links etc.

Looking at its best:

Then I had a little incident abount 15 months ago and the bonnet popped up smashing the screen, ruining the bonnet and putting a small dent in the roof. I took it off the road at partially fixed it but it has now sat like it outside my mums house ever since.

Now I've moved house I have a garage, its not big but can still get the car in so the Rallye is coming home for some loving. Will ge pics up later in the week.

Plans are to fix the damage and do some small resto jobs then keep it as a summer car.

First question, to Mik, Coskev, etc, does anyone know of a hammerite type metal paint that is a near match for Cherry red? It doesn't need to be perfect as it'll be for tarting up underneath.

Darren
Posted 31st Oct 2011 at 11:21
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I used Bilt Hamber Electrox zinc primer onto the cleaned up metal with Blackfriars red enamel metal paint painted over the top (I'll find it and edit this post with exact name of colour). Nice paint, goes on well. It is a close, but not perfect match. Even on the wheel-arch lips it looks OK, it is just slightly more orange. I found coskev's suggested sanding discs in a drill attachment at B&Q. I got the heavy duty version for removing rust for when I start on the front of the car. For some of the more scaly rust it takes ages to remove with drill wire brush, rust gel, etc. This should speed it up.

Ref your bonnet letting go - any particular reason it happened, or anything other owners should check?

Nice looking car BTW.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 31st Oct 2011 at 18:08
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Looks well with the Speedlines silver Smile

The red Hammerite or Rust Oleum do will be close enough to do the underside Wink

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 31st Oct 2011 at 22:53
darrengti

Regular

Post #4
Thank you both. I've used red Hammerite before on it, I just wasn't sure if there was a more exact match. I'll see what Mik comes up with.

Was the Bilt Hamber the stuff you had issues with Mik, or was that the stuff you used second time around?

And the bonnet incident, that was just my fault, I'd been fiddling under the bonnet and thought I'd dropped it down on to the catch then did a short test drive. When I hit 30mph, BANG! I obviously didn't close the bonnet properly, gutted.
Posted 1st Nov 2011 at 13:19
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
The enamel I used was Blackfriar QD90 Metal Paint - Red High Gloss see here - http://www.blackfriar.co.uk/qd90-metal-paint - over the top of the Bilt Hamber Electrox zinc primer.

I had problems with POR-15 and replaced it with the Bilt Hamber stuff. I've had no problems at all with the Bilt Hamber Electrox see here - http://www.bilthamber.com/pro-introduction.php?cname=Corrosion%20Prevention&name=electrox

The Bilt Hamber stuff is excellent.

The Electrox is a high-zinc primer which is a very well-proven method of stopping corrosion in the most extreme environments - in fact zinc galvanising is already applied to most 306 panels (notable exceptions include the chassis rails underneath, which rust more than the rest of the car). The zinc acts as a sacrificial anode and prevents the steel corroding.

There are photos on my thread of the red wheel arches - Blackfriar enamel over the Electrox primer. The Blackfriar enamel is not as bright in real life as it looked in the photos, especially as it has gone off properly now.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 1st Nov 2011 at 17:47
darrengti

Regular

Post #6
Update time (wasting work time as I'm leaving three weeks today!)

This is how the poor thing had been sat at my mums for countless months

Then after some inspiration reading Coskev's thread I dug out the Speedlines and with the use of some jump leads

Borrowed a trailer and towed it up to my house where I now have a (small) garage. Also bought a new battery to make life a little easier.

These are the main points I want to sort:

Skirts, bonnet and bumpers need a respray

Wheels need a refurb, or may sell up and get some cyclones

Engine bay needs a spruce up

Screen needs replacing

And dent man needs to sort my roof

Posted 2nd Dec 2011 at 14:10
darrengti

Regular

Post #7
I had a weekend free as the gf was at work so started stripping

Whilst at it I found its had a replacement nearside rear quarter early in its life, must have been insurance job as genuine Pug panel was used, however where it was spotted back on rust had set in

Stripped down the n/s front arch to start work on it and found the usual surface rust plus two small holes where idiots have missed the jacking points

Also started removing items from the engine bay to have a tidy up

Then under the battery tray was the electrical thingy, looks pretty manky, anyone know what it does? Will it need replacing?

Finally I got my mate to weld up the drivers seat as it wouldn't recline

The Mrs is working again this weekend so Sunday I shall be attacking the car again with grinding wheels, wire brushes and plenty of bad language.
Posted 2nd Dec 2011 at 14:40
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #8
fark Shock rusty rallye!

broken thing is the engine management relay

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 2nd Dec 2011 at 14:50
morbidio

Junior User

Post #9
Woaw, never saw that much rust on a newer Peugeot! :O

Peugeot 306 Dimma Coupe N/A -95
Posted 2nd Dec 2011 at 14:54
darrengti

Regular

Post #10
welshpug! wrote:
fark Shock rusty rallye!

Thought they all went like that these days...? Sad Granted mine is worse due to the rear panel but coming from Ford ownership I'm used to a lot worse!

welshpug! wrote:
broken thing is the engine management relay

New one required? Never had any running issues with it.
Posted 2nd Dec 2011 at 14:56
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #11
yeah, easy to source in a scrappy, or £35 new.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 2nd Dec 2011 at 15:01
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #12
I've got a relay mate if your interested for a tenner posted

And rusty rallyes are quite comman these days sadly Sad
Posted 2nd Dec 2011 at 15:07
peetypug

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Mine was rusty as fook!!
2 days of scraping/sanding/wire brushing, then some rust proofing, primer, red hamerite and a load of waxoil and it looks much much better
Worst part was the underside of the boot floor Sad

Cherry rallye - DOB Thursday 29/04/1999
Team Rallye - the leaner, meaner, better looking sister of the GTI6 Big grin
roland rat wrote:
You sir either live for the 6 or have a mental retardation to still be repairing this!

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so fecking temperamental. 
Posted 2nd Dec 2011 at 16:13
darrengti

Regular

Post #14
peetypug wrote:
Mine was rusty as fook!!
2 days of scraping/sanding/wire brushing, then some rust proofing, primer, red hamerite and a load of waxoil and it looks much much better
Worst part was the underside of the boot floor Sad

Didn't think I was the only one! Boot floor isn't too bad on mine, just lots of small surface rust, it the floor where mines been jacked the holes have developed. Also didn't expect it to have gone on the sill, but thats not biggie.

Just bought myself a Magnex, that'll be the third system on it in my ownership, get bored easily. Whistle

Ash I'll get back to you on the module/relay jobby, it's not urgent (mind you neither was the exhaust!)
Posted 2nd Dec 2011 at 16:37
darrengti

Regular

Post #15
Speedlines or cyclones?

I'm an accountant and I've just got a new job with a large firm and will have to visit a number of clients and want to use the Rallye during the summer but don't want to give off the wrong impression if you get what I'm saying.
Posted 2nd Dec 2011 at 16:41
peetypug

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Anthracite clones FTMFW Big grin

Cherry rallye - DOB Thursday 29/04/1999
Team Rallye - the leaner, meaner, better looking sister of the GTI6 Big grin
roland rat wrote:
You sir either live for the 6 or have a mental retardation to still be repairing this!

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so fecking temperamental. 
Posted 2nd Dec 2011 at 16:49
morbidio

Junior User

Post #17
Speedlines fo sho'!

Peugeot 306 Dimma Coupe N/A -95
Posted 2nd Dec 2011 at 17:09
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
peetypug wrote:
Anthracite clones FTMFW Big grin

^^^ Yes. Not the best pic but...

Mmmmmm.

On another note seeing your pics I've decided my skirts need to come off soonish!

The front arches/engine bay/chassis rails as you have done it is my next big task.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 2nd Dec 2011 at 19:26
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Good update,ALOT of work ahead of you Shock

Speedlines get my vote,but you need Eibachs on the front and torsion bar lowering to match IMO.

darrengti wrote:
will have to visit a number of clients and want to use the Rallye during the summer but don't want to give off the wrong impression if you get what I'm saying.

LOL
And you have bought a Magnex!!!!!!!!!!Shock

They will love that........No

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 3rd Dec 2011 at 16:55
darrengti

Regular

Post #20
It's been a while. Started my new job and had to relocate so the car went back to my parents.

So at present I've just been collecting parts.

OZ F1 Cups (will refurb black or white) Not sure if I've seen them on a 306 before.

New Rallye decals

A RichW alloy crank pulley to go with cambelt and water pump

Poly exhaust hangers to fit my 3' Magnex

Also should have some B8's and H&R springs from Rallye1999's breaking thread.

Hope to have it back on the road in July, do want to see some of the summer!

Posted 16th May 2012 at 21:22
darrengti

Regular

Post #21
So the girlfriend was working a night shift and sleeping all day so had a chance to get more work done.

The Bilstein B8's and 40mm H&R springs arrived from Rallye1999:

So it was in to the garage and out with the old (standard) and in with the new. Also checked over my BH primer I'd applied a few months ago, looks like good stuff, no rust reappearing.

Was going to fit my 3 inch Magnex but it must have been modified by the previous owner as it doesn't mate up to the cat. Cat outlet is 2 inch against the midbox inlet of 2.5 inch. Need to get someone who welds on that. Poly exhaust hangers too.

Stealthy setup in my P3 parcel shelf. Alpine type E speakers mounted in the OE position.

Got to the point where I could do no more to it today, it's at my mum's and I left my wallet 50 miles away at home, doh! So gave it a little wash.

(Don't worry those wheels have never seen the road on my Rallye, they came on my 206 daily runner)

Tried on my new OZ's. They're mid refurb at the moment. Unsure whether to go black or stay silver?

And no, I haven't adjusted the torsion bar yet, my boot doubles as a work shed, nice stance though!

Finally I won these on eBay this morning:

What would be the cheapest setup to fit these? I've read RichW was using 406 V6 discs. I don't want to go down Ash's route as the rotors are a bit too expensive for me. I know I will need brackets made up to mount them. Anyone have any experience to shed?
Posted 26th May 2012 at 20:31
bellcp306td

Regular

Post #22
I run the RichW setup (406 V6 discs) there spot on, the only problem is i have 16" wheels, putting on the weights so they dont hit is a pain but did not have any problems with 17"s on.

I am saving for Ash's set up

Where did the road go!

Chris
Posted 31st May 2012 at 16:03
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
how much were the brembos? Smile

you really can get lost derusting, i spent a good few weeks in my garage preparing my Rallye over the few years.

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
Posted 31st May 2012 at 16:09
darrengti

Regular

Post #24
bellcp306td wrote:
I run the RichW setup (406 V6 discs) there spot on, the only problem is i have 16" wheels, putting on the weights so they dont hit is a pain but did not have any problems with 17"s on.

I am saving for Ash's set up

Would you be interested in selling me RichW's setup? I could even give you my standard calipers in the mean time until you have all the funds together.
Posted 31st May 2012 at 18:06
darrengti

Regular

Post #25
Been tinkering again today, bloody NHS shifts for the Mrs means I barely see her at present.

Change of fluids for the old girl. Genuine Pug filter and gearbox oil.

Then a couple of upgrades:

Group N gear linkages

And the old

Not really supposed to be driving it at present but just did a lap around the block Whistle really tightened up the gear shift, feels a lot lot better.

Also fitted a PTFE gasket, been after one for ages then Ed Beano's for sale ad came up. Thumbs up

Took a lot of effort to get the face of the head clean

The old one just fell apart!

Mounted

And fitted

No offence to people who have done it but I don't like to remove a fog light, or Rallye blank for a cold air feed, prefer something more OEM. This is my first attempt. Need to order up some silicone hose to mount my Pipercross Viper now.

Speaking of OEM, I fitted some cyclones. Not sure if it now sits too low on them though. Can't decide if the look is better on the cyclones of the OZ's.

Brembo's are probably a no go now though, the eBay seller is being a cock! Angry
Posted 9th Jun 2012 at 18:29

Pages (2): [1] 2