displaying posts 26 to 29 of 29

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: nobody wants it
docwra

Regular

Post #26
720puggti wrote:
On a serioius note, these cars just aren't worth much anymore. We live in a society that is a lot poorer and more environmentally concerned, making a GTi or Rallye almost redundant. As a consequence the market for these cars has become even more niche, I believe you really have to live for the 306 to own one now.

Add to that the fact they are all 3 door, and French so everyone thinks they are going to self combust 5 miles down the road and youve got a pretty tricky sell. Sad

At £800 odd though, they are disposable cars, it suprises me more people dont have one as a second car TBH.

Lots of Nissans, two 306 GTI-6's. They are catching up! Big grin
Posted 14th Oct 2011 at 13:20
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
owain wrote:
It's a bit of a weird time at the moment, but I don't think it's that people are poorer - they're just more aware that they could lose their job or savings at any time. People have money, but are spending it more wisely. People want more than 25mpg out of a car when fuel costs £1.30 a litre.

I drive a 58-plate Astra diesel for work, I can get it up to 50mpg without really trying yet it still has 230lb of torque. The car's worth maybe £5k nowadays, and hasn't even needed a timing belt yet. I just spec'd up the equivalent brand new car on Vauxhall's site - the new one has 260lb or torque, still does over 50mpg and I could have it for £426 a month with a two grand deposit.

That's nothing in the grand scheme of things. Mate of mine owns a '6 and the starter's gone and stripped the teeth from the flywheel. £250 for flywheel + £100 for starter + might as well do the clutch, and you're looking at spending £700 on a car that's barely worth that. Weigh that up against buying a brand new car with a 100,000 mile warranty, cruise control, more torque, more comfort and it's just a complete no-brainer.

No-one wants old shit cars any more because finance is so easy to get, therefore they are worthless.

this.

sadly its a down hill time from now to sell a '6

Team allesclar ®

Posted 14th Oct 2011 at 13:26
simonjames

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
quote:
allesclar wrote:

No-one wants old shit cars any more because finance is so easy to get, therefore they are worthless.

this.

sadly its a down hill time from now to sell a '6

Untill loads have been broken/scrapped and they become rarer

All South Wales Members Click Here
Team Supercharged Black RALLYE ™ (Click Here for Build Project)
MY EBAY ITEMS

Posted 14th Oct 2011 at 13:47
lewisdmz

Senior User

Post #29
owain wrote:

I never said "everyone has a perfect credit history and can get infinite finance", I said it's easier than ever to get - which it is. None of this is my opinion - just go out and see what cars go past on a busy road in a minute, I bet the number with old-style plates could be counted on one hand. I remember even when I was young, the stereotypical "dad with an old banger" - the Skoda or Lada that backfired and smoked as he dropped the kids off at school. You would never see that any more, even in the poorest parts of the country.

We're a country that's coming out of (or still in if you ask some people) a recession, and look at us. Everyone running out and buying the latest iPhone, new cars everywhere, Playstations, massive TVs, even our 15-year-old Peugeots are being detailed and supercharged. Yes the country's had better times, but even at the deepest darkest point of the recent recession this country had more money and privilege than 90% of the other countries in Europe, and is probably in the top 5% of privileged countries in the world.

I see it as everyone has got more materialistic/lost their brains and is therefore in debt up to the eye balls to maintain this illusion of wealth. I think it's absolutely insane how many people have iPhones, for the majority of people it is a flashy luxury that serves no real purpose and they are QUEUING to be bent over for it.

It's Probably fuelled by the ease of credit as you say. I remember when I started uni (4 years ago) every time you went in to the bank they were offering you a credit card (on top of a £1250 0% interest overdraft on the student account). Baring in mind I was a student with no real assets or even a constant income! Sickening really, f*cking banks.
Posted 14th Oct 2011 at 19:04

Pages (2): 1 [2]