displaying posts 1 to 22 of 22

Author Subject: home mechanics equipment?
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
i know many of you guys are in and around the motor trade and therefor know alot about the equipment and the costs of such equipment. i have pretty much every hand tool that i need, and any i dont have i am willing to get, and i know a few good welders and metal workers so have a good source of power tools. but i find lately i could do with more, probably due to having to maintain 2 306 meridians, a gti6 and a vectra that all keep me busy. so my question is this, how expensive would it be to get a lift, ie, 2 post or scissor, and which would be best for 'home work' as i dont have a garage or huge customer base. also thinking of tyre machines and balancers as i used to love doing tyres. am i out of my depth with this sort of equipment or is it worth it if i can get the use and benefit out of it? just wondering what you guys think as you will know alot better than me.

thanks.

supercharged China gti6 - Thu 16th Sep 1999 - sold
2010 megane rs250
Posted 9th Oct 2011 at 21:48
BrianM

Regular

Post #2
I don't think you'd benefit from a tyre fitter/balancer unless your nearest tyre fitter was 60 miles away and you were shredding every other week on a track or something??

I think we'd all love a 2 post lift though. Aren't scissor lifts a bit restrictive sometimes? No?

'13 208 Gti Bianca White, '99 Bianca 306 Rallye, '92 309 Goodwood GTi 5dr, '92 Miami Blue 309 GTi 3dr.
Posted 9th Oct 2011 at 22:00
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
BrianM wrote:
I don't think you'd benefit from a tyre fitter/balancer unless your nearest tyre fitter was 60 miles away and you were shredding every other week on a track or something??

I think we'd all love a 2 post lift though. Aren't scissor lifts a bit restrictive sometimes? No?

i see your point about the tyre stuff, i just love fitting tyres. to be honest it is hard to find a good cheap tyre fitter around here, my last lot i took to Rich W.

ive never used one before but i get the impression they are more restrictive but benefit by being portable?

2010 megane rs250
Posted 9th Oct 2011 at 22:05
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Hi Mark,

I'm going to be frank here. There is no point in getting any of the equipment you're thinking of buying, not unless you have money to burn that is.

You mention you don't have a huge customer base, so justifiying the amount you would spend on a lift (of any kind) and tyre machines is difficult as it'll be a long time before you see any return on them. Secondly, it's not just a case of buying this equipment, they take a lot of maintenance that can be very costly e.g. monitoring and repairing the metal structure of the lift and it's mechanics, calibrating the tyre balancing machine.

However, the biggest point to mention is the fact you don't even have a garage! Where are you going to keep all this equipment?

I have a sizeable garage and work on stands all the time and am able to do every job you can possibly think of; from changing oil to changing engines and I don't even have a compressor!

From what you've posted I think you should stick to your hands tools and stands.

My only recommendations would be:
- Two very good jacks e.g. Sealey with 3 tonne lifting capability
- Four Ratchet stands
- Electric gun; 1/2 inch drive
- Also, don't underestimate how useful a block of wood can be!

Good luck with whatever you decide, but be sensible!

P.S You're the first person I've ever heard say they enjoy changing tyres, I bloody hated it!

Deepak Gohil

Posted 9th Oct 2011 at 22:09
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
720puggti wrote:
Hi Mark,

I'm going to be frank here. There is no point in getting any of the equipment you're thinking of buying, not unless you have money to burn that is.

You mention you don't have a huge customer base, so justifiying the amount you would spend on a lift (of any kind) and tyre machines is difficult as it'll be a long time before you see any return on them. Secondly, it's not just a case of buying this equipment, they take a lot of maintenance that can be very costly e.g. monitoring and repairing the metal structure of the lift and it's mechanics, calibrating the tyre balancing machine.

However, the biggest point to mention is the fact you don't even have a garage! Where are you going to keep all this equipment?

I have a sizeable garage and work on stands all the time and am able to do every job you can possibly think of; from changing oil to changing engines and I don't even have a compressor!

From what you've posted I think you should stick to your hands tools and stands.

My only recommendations would be:
- Two very good jacks e.g. Sealey with 3 tonne lifting capability
- Four Ratchet stands
- Electric gun; 1/2 inch drive
- Also, don't underestimate how useful a block of wood can be!

Good luck with whatever you decide, but be sensible!

P.S You're the first person I've ever heard say they enjoy changing tyres, I bloody hated it!

yes the tyre stuff is a waste of money but i did enjoy it. surely i could make money from it somehow?

youre right, i havent considered maintenance costs, i dont know how much they would require, or how often. my cnc punch at work is fairly easy on maintenance so i assume it would be similar to that schedule wise?

i could probably find somewhere to put it so not having a garage/workshop isnt too much of a problem.

i just find it a pain sometimes having to work on a cold wet floor with just millimeters between me, the ground and the car. would like to make life easier, if its not too out of my depth, which i think now it may be.

thanks for your reply

2010 megane rs250
Posted 9th Oct 2011 at 22:23
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I thought about all these questions once for a fraction of a second before realising how ridiculous it would be.

A decent tyre balancer would cost you a couple of grand, and you can charge about £5 a wheel including the lead weights which aren't free. There's a good reason you never see new ones, 99% of garages have beaten up old ones because it's just not worth buying new ones. Servicing and calibrating them also won't be cheap.

You can buy two-post lifts, but they're 2.5m high for starters and would cost you £2k+. Again the hydraulics need servicing and maintenance, and the decent ones need 3 phase power. I'm never sure I really trust two-post lifts, certainly not cheap ones. I'd want an ex-garage one, even then I'd want it professionally installed to make sure it didn't just pull out of the ground and fall over when I put an unbalanced car on it.

The only things that might be worth it are a decent air compressor with which you can power air tools, saving you on buying drills etc - and a decent welder. Anything more than that is just not worth the money imo.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 08:17
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
owain wrote:
I thought about all these questions once for a fraction of a second before realising how ridiculous it would be.

A decent tyre balancer would cost you a couple of grand, and you can charge about £5 a wheel including the lead weights which aren't free. There's a good reason you never see new ones, 99% of garages have beaten up old ones because it's just not worth buying new ones. Servicing and calibrating them also won't be cheap.

You can buy two-post lifts, but they're 2.5m high for starters and would cost you £2k+. Again the hydraulics need servicing and maintenance, and the decent ones need 3 phase power. I'm never sure I really trust two-post lifts, certainly not cheap ones. I'd want an ex-garage one, even then I'd want it professionally installed to make sure it didn't just pull out of the ground and fall over when I put an unbalanced car on it.

The only things that might be worth it are a decent air compressor with which you can power air tools, saving you on buying drills etc - and a decent welder. Anything more than that is just not worth the money imo.

I did find an online seller that had 2 post ramps for £1400 and tyre machine for 600 but as you say the quality has to be questioned. I think more jacks, axle stands and a decent compressor seem like good shouts. Just trying to find good ways of making the job easier

2010 megane rs250
Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 10:00
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #8
Make sure you get a compressor that will actually do what you want out of it. A small one will not power air tools for very long at all.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 10:26
    mark.evs

Senior User

Post #9
    hey mate, just keep an eye out for used stuff, i bought an air compressor (built in 1965) for £75 worth about £150 in scrap weight, works perfectly, and then a mate of mine had a 2 post 3phase ramp for £60, from a bodyshop that closed down. We only had single phase electric so, it's now run from a single phase motor, through a gearbox drive off a potato picker. It takes about 10 mins to lift and lower a car but it saves laying on the floor in the wet and dirt, plus being on the floor wrecks your knees. There's stuff about, just gotta keep a look out for it.

My GTi6 track project

White Rallye project
    Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 10:49
    judge dead

Regular

Post #10
    yeah like dan says in my work we have 2 compressors wich are very big size wise and one is more powerfull then the other and it makes some diffrence when you're on weaker of the 2 so you'd be much cheaper buying a couple of snap on or sealy electric hand tools like 3/8 1/2 gun
    Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 10:52
    owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
    If you're worried about the floor itself, take a look at this stuff. It'll cost you about £600 for a double garage, but is solid enough to jack from and keeps you off the cold floor, whilst still letting the damp out Yes

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
    Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 11:02
    m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
    Yeah I know how much of a pain in the ass a poor compressor can be, ours at work is ok running the cnc's and guillotine but when we have the air drills going it can't cope. Gets really irritating.

2010 megane rs250
    Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 12:41
    m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
    mark.evs wrote:
    hey mate, just keep an eye out for used stuff, i bought an air compressor (built in 1965) for £75 worth about £150 in scrap weight, works perfectly, and then a mate of mine had a 2 post 3phase ramp for £60, from a bodyshop that closed down. We only had single phase electric so, it's now run from a single phase motor, through a gearbox drive off a potato picker. It takes about 10 mins to lift and lower a car but it saves laying on the floor in the wet and dirt, plus being on the floor wrecks your knees. There's stuff about, just gotta keep a look out for it.

That's a good call. Will have to ask around and keep an eye out for bargains like that Thumbs up I'm not going to need all new and expensive stuff, just stuff capable of doing the job.

2010 megane rs250
    Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 12:46
    daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #14
    I had a customer with 22 industrial spotwelding stations but a plumbed in cooling system that only had enough capacity for 4 welders, they all had 'in-out'gate valves on the sets and used to shout accross the shop to say when they were finished using their machine so someone else could use their own! The clue should've been that the old chiller unit was the size of a family hatchback and the new one was the size of a small filing cabinet, clowns.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
    Engine mount/chassis repair
    Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
    Harness bars
    Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 12:49
    m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
    owain wrote:
    If you're worried about the floor itself, take a look at this stuff. It'll cost you about £600 for a double garage, but is solid enough to jack from and keeps you off the cold floor, whilst still letting the damp out Yes

I'm liking this idea Big grin it's something I would never of thought of but is a great solution to the crappy floor problem Thumbs up

As an alternative idea I was thinking of trying to get in with a small garage part time. They would get cheap labour and I get use of the equipment and the chance to learn more.

2010 megane rs250
    Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 12:52
    m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
    daveyboy wrote:
    I had a customer with 22 industrial spotwelding stations but a plumbed in cooling system that only had enough capacity for 4 welders, they all had 'in-out'gate valves on the sets and used to shout accross the shop to say when they were finished using their machine so someone else could use their own! The clue should've been that the old chiller unit was the size of a family hatchback and the new one was the size of a small filing cabinet, clowns.

Hey Jim, how are you?

Haha LOL that wasn't well thought out then.

Did you do all of your race car build with jack and axle stands or did you use other equipment?

2010 megane rs250
    Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 12:58
    daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #17
    As said, plenty of companies going to the wall at the moment, keep an eye out for plant auctions ans insolvency clearances buddy.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
    Engine mount/chassis repair
    Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
    Harness bars
    Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 12:59
    m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
    daveyboy wrote:
    As said, plenty of companies going to the wall at the moment, keep an eye out for plant auctions ans insolvency clearances buddy.

Maybe that's a sign that it's a bad idea Big grin

Yeah I will keep searching. Would you be interested in getting involved somehow? I know you do alot of work on your cars so could come in handy for both of us?

2010 megane rs250
    Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 13:02
    720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
    Hey Mark,

There's some decent advice from others that has been posted.

My personal opinion is if you're not handling large volumes of work there's no need for all this equipment.

Deepak Gohil

Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 20:31
    monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
    How easy would it be to dig an inspection pit in your work area? Ive no idea but it might be a solution.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIyjJ_SS7PY

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
    Forum Search Clicky
    Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 22:49
    BrianM

Regular

Post #21
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlqBkpvOuX4&feature=related

'13 208 Gti Bianca White, '99 Bianca 306 Rallye, '92 309 Goodwood GTi 5dr, '92 Miami Blue 309 GTi 3dr.
    Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 23:03
    m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
    720puggti wrote:
    Hey Mark,

There's some decent advice from others that has been posted.

My personal opinion is if you're not handling large volumes of work there's no need for all this equipment.

Yes I am very grateful to everyone for the great suggestions here.

I think you're right, maybe I'd be better off working part time in a small garage, with someone like yourself, that way all the equipment will already be there, I could learn from the boss, and maybe get to fix my own cars cheaper and easier? I think that's a more realistic idea for starters.

2010 megane rs250
    Posted 11th Oct 2011 at 05:21