displaying posts 1 to 16 of 16

Author Subject: Advice on Le Mans???
ben306

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Thinking of heading off to Le Mans next year, do the whole road trip down and have a long weekend of it. Maybe make it into a bit of a stag do but after some advice on tickets, whens best to book, worth going with anyone (piston heads/ travel company etc)

Just after pointers/general info/costs etc.

My 306 Rallye Project Thread

Few recent Youtube track videos, more on my channel
Pair of Rallye's doing a few laps of Anglesey

Lap of Anglesey Coastal

3 sisters circuit

Few laps at Blyton
Posted 3rd Oct 2011 at 16:46
xaero1

Senior User

Post #2
Hi mate, I went in 2010.

My friend made all the arrangements for travel etc but did it so that we effectively had a shorter drive and longer ferry crossing. That worked well for us as you get more time to oggle at the supercars on the ferry, haha.

When driving down we avoided the motorways and stuck to A-roads. We didn't see a single police speed trap but went through loads of nice French towns with people waving and whistling at our cars. It was great fun.

We stayed in the smaller of the two Speedchills campsites and it was fantastic. It was 10 minutes walk from the track, had hot showers and clean toilets, plus a massive marqui with hot food, cold beer and a plasma TV showing the race on Eurosport - perfect for when you've spent a few hours at the track and fancy coming 'home' for a more comfy seat!

My advice would be to travel as light as you can. You can buy everything you need from the massive Carfour supermarket up the road. However honestly, we all got sick of eating BBQ food after 3 days so do your best to mix it up a little Smile

I'd planned to go again in 2012 but unfortunately one of my stupid friends has booked his stupid wedding that weekend!!! Such is life... LOL

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Posted 4th Oct 2011 at 10:57
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #3
I'd be well up for doing this too, been promising myself I'd go for years.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 4th Oct 2011 at 13:31
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Went 2 years back, I thought Le mans was a bit of a shit hole tbh. Make sure you get a decent hotel, ours was a flea pit. Prices seemed mega dear as it was race "week" also.

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 5th Oct 2011 at 19:36
xaero1

Senior User

Post #5
Le Mans.... Hotel??? WTF!!!

It's all about the camping mate! You're supposed to slum it on a campsite with hundreds of other car enthusiasts, watching the racing, getting p*ssed, eating BBQ food. It's an opportunity to meet people considerably wealthier than you (all of which are down to earth if they're in a campsite with you) and asking "So, how did you afford your Lamborghini?"

As i put in my original post most campsites have good showers now so you're not really slumming it at all Smile

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Posted 6th Oct 2011 at 08:07
keith87

Regular

Post #6
I also didnt rate it, been twice took motorhomes both times (but stayed on campsites) its quite hard to actually follow the race when your there i found, its impossible to buy decent food on site, its basically just a big p*ss up nothing wrong with that and thats what most go for im sure, watching headlamps in the middle of the night does become a bit boring after a while, kart track is fun, I wouldnt go again.
Posted 6th Oct 2011 at 09:04
daw5on

Senior User

Post #7
I've been 3 times, just about to book next year.

Hotels......errr no. It's all about the camping.

We've stayed in Houx for the last 2 years, pretty good camp-site and has electric hookup which is handy for running the fridge.

We've always booked through Travel Destinations, good price and they do the whole lot including Eurotunnel.

Arrive Friday lunchtime at the latest, as Friday night in Le Mans town is awesome, plus Pits are open on Friday.

Food is crap throughout the whole racetrack but just drink more and it'll taste better! Thumbs up

Cotton Villiers 1967 (Just fully restored)
1988 Yamaha Ty250 Mono (being Built)
Yamaha TY80 (In bits)
Peugeot Speedfight 50 (Daily Ride)
Posted 6th Oct 2011 at 09:43
ben306

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
So you'd recommend Hoax for a decent campsite to stay at?

My 306 Rallye Project Thread

Few recent Youtube track videos, more on my channel
Pair of Rallye's doing a few laps of Anglesey

Lap of Anglesey Coastal

3 sisters circuit

Few laps at Blyton
Posted 6th Oct 2011 at 09:52
daw5on

Senior User

Post #9
Yeah definately Houx, only 10 minutes walk from the Track, and only ten minutes walk from the Tram (for the friday night)

Also has a Kebab shop!!!! Thumbs up

Also the Ultimate Le Mans Guide

Yamaha TY80 (In bits)
Posted 6th Oct 2011 at 10:01
xaero1

Senior User

Post #10
Does Houx have decent showers and toilets?

I really like my creature comforts and having a hot shower in the morning is a number 1 priority for me. That's what impressed me about the Speedchills site I was at. And they had a marquee selling decent hot grub as well.

No electricity hook up though. Keeping our beers cold was a problem!

Posted 6th Oct 2011 at 11:16
daw5on

Senior User

Post #11
The showers are OK, some permanent ones and some temporary ones, hot water can be hit and miss, depending on the time. Just send one of your mates for a shower first, then he can freeze if the hot water has run out!!!

Toilets are toilets really, always been acceptable to me!

Electric hookup is awesome, just bring a long extension lead!

Yamaha TY80 (In bits)
Posted 6th Oct 2011 at 11:23
tea boy

Senior User

Post #12
I have been a fair few times, would not go now though.
If I wanted to see an audi diesel I can look out of the kitchen window.

The Le Mans Classic a month later is much more interesting.

Make tea, not war.

If it ain't broke......fix it until it is.
Posted 7th Oct 2011 at 22:06
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
We went on a stag do last year spent the whole time fvcking smashed - was great loved it think we watched some racing LOL LOL we took a gen and big marque with a gas bbq. we did the overnight ferry as well Thumbs up
Posted 7th Oct 2011 at 22:12
daveg

Tuna Melt

Post #14
The sad thing about Le Mans is there is now a substantial chav element to it.

There are some great threads on Pistonheads on which campsites to avoid and which ones are good (Houx Annexe and Beausejour are top spots).

I've been every year since 1997. Camped 5-6 times but now we use the Hotel F1 at Le Mans Nord. €29 per night per person including breakfast, a decent-ish bar across the road.

We get the Eurotunnel down and go on the toll roads these days. The N138 used to be a laugh but there are speed traps in abundance these days. Plus the toll roads take 2 hours off your journey.

Friday night in Le Mans is essential - we met Ben Collins on the tram and Gareth Jones (aka Gaz Top) in town - he was doing some bits for his Podcast (which is pretty funny and has Richard Porter aka Sniff Petrol featured).

Erm?
Posted 8th Oct 2011 at 22:24
docwra

Regular

Post #15
daveg wrote:
The sad thing about Le Mans is there is now a substantial chav element to it.

There are some great threads on Pistonheads on which campsites to avoid and which ones are good (Houx Annexe and Beausejour are top spots).

I've been every year since 1997. Camped 5-6 times but now we use the Hotel F1 at Le Mans Nord. €29 per night per person including breakfast, a decent-ish bar across the road.

We get the Eurotunnel down and go on the toll roads these days. The N138 used to be a laugh but there are speed traps in abundance these days. Plus the toll roads take 2 hours off your journey.

All good advice, Im on my 8th in a row now (went down with 35 other guys last year Crazy) and it is becoming a noticably chavvier, but its still a cracking event. We stay in Karting Nord (loud) as its the only site you can actually see the track from without climbing a tree/breaking in/etc. Smile

TBH, a group of about 8 works perfectly, we were going through 25 slabs of Kroney and god knows how much food a day last year, became a real mission to make sure we didnt run out. Smile

Lots of Nissans, two 306 GTI-6's. They are catching up! Big grin
Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 16:57
daveg

Tuna Melt

Post #16
Yeah we've stayed at Karting Nord too. Great campsite.

Our group are the sort that like to watch the racing so we get grandstand tickets to watch the build up and start. We usually watch for a few hours there then wander over to the Porsche Curves or up to Tetre Rouge. Nip off for a bite to eat at about 9pm, come back as it's getting dark and head to Indianapolis or Arnage at about 2-3am. I love seeing the sun coming up at Arnage Smile

Pop back to the car for a bite to eat and a doze, then back to the grandstand to watch the last couple of hours unfold. That's a typical LM LOL

A mini radio is essential for listening to Radio Le Mans.

Erm?
Posted 10th Oct 2011 at 23:15