displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Cylinder head removal
judge dead

Regular

Post #1
well as from my previous thread ive blowen my head gasket so being a tech my self i could replace it at the house but then i thought about that exhaust manifold and wonderd how hell you can remove that w/o a ramp lol is this possible and does anyone have a link to head removal? as haynes dont cover the 6
Posted 11th Sep 2011 at 13:39
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
If you leave the Exhaust manifold on the head and tilt the engine forward it just slips out in one lump. Saves messing about on your back

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 11th Sep 2011 at 16:07
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
you can get over the top of the engine and get a few of the bolts from underneath the car on axel stands Wink
Posted 11th Sep 2011 at 17:33
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #4
You can get the mani off with a 13 mm ratchet spanner from the top and leave it attached to the rest of the exhaust, it tilts back enough to clear the head studs and allow the head to be removed.Thumbs up

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 14th Sep 2011 at 00:39
jägertom

Post #5
Yeah unbolting the manifold from the head is actually deceptively easy, as long as you have a ratchet with a reasonably long extension bar and a universal joint. This makes getting the at lower nuts from underneath the car easier.
Just be prepared to be sitting there for a while with the spanner - not hard, just tedious.
Good luck, in the process of doing my head gasket now...

Feelin so fly like a Gti6 Ninja
Team >160,000mi Sad
Posted 15th Sep 2011 at 22:19