displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: Introducing Myself/Advice on my new 306 GTI6
jackalk8

Post #1
Hi guys,

First post, not sure if this is in the right place. Basically completely new to the forum and thought i could start to get involved.

My name is Jack, 22 years old, from Northampton, I'm in the army. Served for 5 years and recently returned from the coast of Libya. My trade is Re-arming and Re-fueling Apache Helicopters. Shortly going back out to hand over to another squadron (sssh don't tell Gadaafi!) and then some hard earnt time off in which I want to play with my 306.

Just bought a GTI6, I don't know much about cars. I'm switched on but just not looked at the subject. The car really needs TLC, its not in the best nick and I want to start sorting it out in my leave after Libya. Any advice on books to look at? I understand the basic mechanics of an engine. My friend said the 306 Haynes manual doesn't have much on the GTI6 - is it worth getting? Same with tools, I'd much rather spend a small fortune on a nice set to get into the subject - any ideas on where to get some from? I don't speak to my dad so getting 'man' advice on cars is scarce haha.

The initial problems are:
-Ticking noise in the engine? (Its done 73000 miles)
-Wing mirror needs replacing
-Every now and then when pulling off at low revs say (1500-2000 rpm) the car judders as if I've took my foot off the gas and then after one 'bump' it returns to normal power.
-It only starts in the morning when its cold, once I've drove it, it struggles to turn over, its not the battery as I've replaced it. Looked at a starter motor from Halfords and Euro car parts. Halfords = 120 quid, Euro = 260!!! So i just bought a starter motor of Ebay from Bicester.

Apart from that its just loads of small other problems and pieces that needs replacing, if anyone is breaking a 306 not far from Northampton then give me a shout!

Look forward to become a serious member of the forum and thanks for any advice anyone has to offer its much appreciated!

Jack
Posted 9th Sep 2011 at 14:23
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Hi, welcome to the forum. 5 years in the army should give you a thick enough skin to enjoy it on here.

The tapping could be valves http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3g2TWRCXfs but also check oil levels and top up, or better still just give it an oil and filter change. This needs to be done every 6k miles.

You can take most of the car apart with 6/8/10/13mm sockets. I just bought a nice ratchet handle from Halfords and 4 "face grip" sockets, but you can get a full set for about £50.
Peugeot also use star bolts instead of screw almost everywhere. A ratchet handle screwdriver and a set of star bits should be £10-15.

Not sure about the idle/starting issue, could be an engine temp sensor. The FAQ section is a mine of information

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
Forum Search Clicky
Posted 9th Sep 2011 at 14:42
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Hi ya. The ticking could be noisey injectors. If so... Don't worry about it. Valves make a very noticable tapping noise which increases with revs. Almost sounds like a sowing machine. Could be a loose spark plug causing the noise. Unlikely but worth checking. Its free and not un heard of. Smile

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 9th Sep 2011 at 21:48
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
This site has more info and expert help than the haynes ever could!

I had the issue you have described when setting off, no power. I think they call it hesitancy. I ended up replacing the coolant temp sensor and lambda sensor to get it sorted. Both quite easy jobs (provided your lambda isn't stuck to the cat). Around the same time I had issues with the car starting when hot and that went with replacing the lambda too.
Posted 9th Sep 2011 at 22:03
jackalk8

Post #5
Thanks for the replies! Managed to get a set of tools of my brother. First job was to replace to starter motor.... didn't realize the entire manifold had to come out!!! Either way took myself and with help from a friend about 3-4 hours to do the whole thing, but low and behold it starts!!

Other bits and pieces seem quite easy. IE replacing the mirror etc... Though today im going to be looking on how to get the heating working. Sounds like the fans are going but no air movement from anywhere.

Also talking about this hesitancy... Its gotten slightly worse as I just was turning right on a roundabout and the whole thing cut out! Hoping its that. Will get new sensors on Monday.

Thanks for all the advice!
Posted 11th Sep 2011 at 11:34
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Welcome mate. Smile

Goldie the track car.
Posted 12th Sep 2011 at 18:25
marco gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Welcome to the club Wink
Posted 12th Sep 2011 at 22:00
7057sam

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Welcome Big grin

Rallye build: 11 November 1998 - a Wednesday
Team rallye,built for track
----Click this if you like rallyes

Rallye dead Sad
Secret Team Astor...
Posted 14th Sep 2011 at 00:36
ivanas

Post #9
monkeyman wrote:

The tapping could be valves http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3g2TWRCXfs
Not sure about the idle/starting issue, could be an engine temp sensor. The FAQ section is a mine of information

Actually this is not a tapper Smile One cilinder has valve holders,or guides ,or shells (I don't know how exacly this word in english) got low after half year of LPG usage and lost a little bit compression
Posted 14th Sep 2011 at 08:52
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
jackalk8 wrote:
Thanks for the replies! Managed to get a set of tools of my brother. First job was to replace to starter motor.... didn't realize the entire manifold had to come out!!! Either way took myself and with help from a friend about 3-4 hours to do the whole thing, but low and behold it starts!!

Other bits and pieces seem quite easy. IE replacing the mirror etc... Though today im going to be looking on how to get the heating working. Sounds like the fans are going but no air movement from anywhere.

Also talking about this hesitancy... Its gotten slightly worse as I just was turning right on a roundabout and the whole thing cut out! Hoping its that. Will get new sensors on Monday.

Thanks for all the advice!

this will either be faulty vss sensor idle control or tps sensor my friend more the likely the vss if your speedo works then doesntThumbs down welcome also

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 14th Sep 2011 at 09:29
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
welcome to club

fair play getting stuck straight in taking manifold off, i hardly knew how to replace engine oil when i bought my rallye 5/6 years ago, done fair bit more since then Whistle
and most of it was cause of the info on this site

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
Posted 14th Sep 2011 at 09:36
gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
jackalk8 wrote:
My trade is Re-arming and Re-fueling Apache Helicopters. Shortly going back out to hand over to another squadron (sssh don't tell Gadaafi!)

Good bit of Opsec there oppo :facepalm
Posted 14th Sep 2011 at 14:48