displaying posts 251 to 275 of 320

Pages (13): first .. 10 [11] 12 .. last

Author Subject: Project Money Pit Rallye (Pic Heavy)
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #251
Haha time to re edit

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 22nd Mar 2019 at 21:09
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #252
Well it's been a hell of a while since I've posted on here. Combination of uploading photos and forum being a tad dead. So time to get back in to the swing of things.

Part from basic maintenance I've carried out a full service replacing most bits.

After this I keeper getting some electrical issues so replaced my earth and alternator

I was then able to source myself a ATB so out with old

In with the new Smile

I can happily say the second best modification I've Fitted to the car totally transformed it but.........it had resulted in me killing tyres as I have soooooo much fun sliding around. Smile

In the never ending battle to make the car handle better after spending months hunting for a carbon bonnet I found one of a steal of £100.

Great you think........it only took 6months to fit due to being in a poor state covered in resin bumps and pin holes but after A LOT of elbow grease it came out beautiful.

I then enjoyed the car as she was for several months and then some twat driving to close backended me Sad lucky for me it was too bad. the c**t drove off after threatening me which I wasn't best pleased about.

So seeing as the plates were damaged I replaced them

I then decided to purchase some better brakes after hunting for willwoods for ages with no luck I decided to go for Hispecs

Due to money troubles at the time they didn't last long Sad so the standards went back on and while I was at it they had a fresh lick of paint.

In my never ending urge to spend money I got a tad fed up of my wheels looking ratty and decided to get them refurbed.....

I didn't Smile managed to find these by chance in Bristol for not a bad price. The white wasn't my cup of tea so dropped the off to get redone this Monday to be greeted with these yesturday

All I can say is they look amazing and they are 240kg lighter than my current wheels Wink should make a nice difference to acceleration I think. That's all for now

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner

SEARCH

click here
Posted 22nd Mar 2019 at 23:03
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #253
Not sure your pics are big enough hovis....... Big grin

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 23rd Mar 2019 at 07:29
clen666

Seasoned Pro

Post #254
quote:
[quote=“hovis16”]240kg lighter

Those old wheels are heavier than they look!

Team 'unintentional rat look'
Posted 23rd Mar 2019 at 08:21
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #255
Great thread,..
just going to look at the pic on my 65 Inch

LOL

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 23rd Mar 2019 at 08:45
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #256
Wheel set it off a treat.
Loving the carbon bonnet been looking for one for a while as ideal on a black car as saves paint cost lol very few and far between though and if they do there normally silly money
Posted 23rd Mar 2019 at 12:36
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #257
Yeah sorry about the size of the pictures. Not sure why they are so big.

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner

SEARCH

click here
Posted 24th Mar 2019 at 09:17
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #258
So after a long time of once again just enjoying the Rallye it is time again to do some maintanence work.

The first thing planned was to replace my old knackered suspension

think we can agree was pretty much dead

while at it I also carried out a full rebuild on my calliper as i was getting some wobbling under hard braking

With the mechnical work done for now my attenetion turned to the sorry state my badge was in, so in typical hovis style when in comes to painting i got a TAD carried alway

With that lot looking better than planned I then managed to get hold of a carbon grille to match my bonnet which looked ace but left the slam panel plus some other parts in the engine bay looking a little dull so the first thing was the cam covers then the slam panel.

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner

SEARCH

click here
Posted 16th Mar 2020 at 15:29
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #259
After that looking better my next thing to paint was the strut brace

With that looking good I decided I didn't like the look of the grubby heatsheild so I purchased a stainless steel one, looks great but it can rattle abit so will need looking at again at a later date.

Engine bay looking all tarty I gave her a well deserved wash
Thumbs up Love

Apart from the visual side of things I also recently fitted some new rear calipers and new selector bushes.
thats all for now Cool

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner

SEARCH

click here
Posted 2nd Apr 2020 at 15:51
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #260
Nice update Thumbs up

Goldie the track car.
Posted 15th Mar 2020 at 16:48
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #261
prism7guy wrote:
Nice update Thumbs up

Totally agree with Steve ....it really is a great update and a fantastic looking car Marcellus ...credit m8 Thumbs up
Posted 15th Mar 2020 at 17:27
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #262
So while the world is coming to an end the best thing to do is attack the car.

As the spoiler was suffering with paint fade and swirls I thought id redo it

MUCH BETTERLove

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner

SEARCH

click here
Posted 2nd Apr 2020 at 15:42
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #263
So thanks to the Covid outbreak I've managed to get more and more done to the car. Every cloud aye.

First thing since I repainted the spoiler was to wash the car and pop it back on.

That looking nice a clean I decided to take the seats out to clean everything and prepare the exhaust channel area to fit some eyelet plates

Once all the interior was out I could see that the sound deadening tar had cracked and lifted slightly. As I had removed it all from the front the plan was to do the same on the rear

Out came the blowtorch Cool Cool Cool

the problem now is the person who fitted the cage before didn't do the greatest job. as you can see from the photo it have the Cowboy yeeha drill the holes and bang it in. Problem with this is the feet are not mounted to a flat surface...…….safety issue secondly this allows water in which rusts and weakens the floor.

So after removing the tar and cleaning sanding the floor plus tapping down the floor plan that was slighted dented Shock Shock Shock Shock due to p**s poor fitting I'm left with a void between the cage feet and the floor. As I have cage plates I drilled the holes and shaped the edges and tapped them under the feet.

For now much safer until I can get them welded in place and the void under the plate built up, according to my engineering/ welder mate shouldn't be a problem. Next bit more prep then add some paint Thumbs up

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner

SEARCH

click here
Posted 6th Apr 2020 at 10:28
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #264
And because it a semi race car.... weight saved

and besides is looks a hell of a lot cleaner now

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner

SEARCH

click here
Posted 6th Apr 2020 at 10:39
S8-Tom

Regular

Post #265
Those brackets are crazy heavy!

Much tidier in there now. More access for timing belt changes too?

1343Z4 coolant hose o-rings for sale
198131 injector o-rings for sale
Posted 6th Apr 2020 at 11:20
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #266
Yeah some weight saved plus the tar and foam from the carpet. The extra room helps with changing and removing shizzle

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner

SEARCH

click here
Posted 6th Apr 2020 at 12:00
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #267
So once again thanks to the Covid scare while I was off for a coupe months I continued with the odds and sods jobs with the Rallye.

After removing all the tar and surface rust from the floor it was time to paint

Blit hamber zinc primer, gloss black and plenty clearcoat should keep it looking fresh for years.

Next on the agenda was surface rust. After doing some rust prep a few years back most of it had lasted well but due to not using the correct paint some areas had chipped and also the chassie parts had been crushed so this area suffered with water ingress.

After using all the tools you could think of I managed to get both looking fairly decent and then repainted them.

After finishing this in typical Hovis fashion in got carried away.....

While at it I noticed my coolant pipe was fecked so that was binned

Finally found the leak that I had for a while

That was quickly fitted thanks to Darkgti

Also repainted the rad fan

With that completed I then made the Rallye an offical race carLOL LOL

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner

SEARCH

click here
Posted 6th Jun 2020 at 18:48
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #268
With the front of the Rallye now looking good and rust free I turned my attention towards the back of the car. Most of the middle was looking ok but the central rails looked a tad tacky so wire brush and paint came out Smile

The front wasnt bad at all but i ripped the paint off and redone it with WAR and Upol Raptor.

Next attention was the Rear beam. Having noticed some free play from the driver side rear I decided to have a look into it. As I have bronze bushes instead of bearings i wasn't very worried

The fuel tank strap was a scary thing to look at and take off Shock

few hours hard work

While sorting the rear beam I also gave the arch a good clean

So upon putting the beam back togther I found the play to be movement of the torsion bar on the trailing arms.........Great. This results in the Freeplay and the car being slightly off in height on the rear. The plan was to source another set of Xsara arms at and later date and then redo the beam..........................................

Distractions always cause epic cock ups, this is what happens when your wife is on the case, your phone is ringing nonstop and the inlaw wants access to the garage. Simple removal of the offset washer would of solved the issue LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Lucky for me I managed to source something on the Bay although it wasn't all plain sailing to fit. I was only planning in having to press my trailing arm pins out to swap on the new arms............
But when the arrived the arb bolt was snapped and stuck in. f**k MY LIFE ITS BEEN HEILCOILED, resulting in a wonky hole which had to be enlarged as well as the Arb plate to match. All sorted and bits pressed in thanks to Blackmamba.

With that complete I checked the boot floor which still looked great so I fully degreased it and added some more gloss black then clear coat.

I then added some paint above the beam but got a tad hand fisted with the amount added.

Ended up flattening this back in the end as it was annoying me.

With the beam tube painted and refitted I popped on some new Brembo disc and pads

Then I cleaned up the back boxed and repainted with Hi temp paint.

Checked, double checked and adjusted the ride height and with everything feeling nice tight it looks spot onLove Love Love

I also managed to get hold of a genuine air snorkle of which Mr Wells was unhappy about as I beat him to it mwhahaLOL LOL

Plan to try and find a Pipercross viper again as this is smaller than my Ebay special so the fit will be nicer.

I then managed thanks to Damien to get hold of a Heated windscreen Cool Love Cool

SO out came the old one,

Bad but good thing about removing the window................................... I found more work to do,

I will assume it has happened due to being over tightened. So thats another thing to added to the welding list once the Lockdown eases.

I then fitted sunstrip before fitting and god what a HATEFULL JOB Thumbs down Thumbs down

All fitted looking fresh and cleanLove

And for now thats it....... apart from some more CarbonLove Love Love

This time I beat Pete to it LOL LOL

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner

SEARCH

click here
Posted 6th Jun 2020 at 19:45
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #269
hovis16 wrote:

I also managed to get hold of a genuine air snorkle of which Mr Wells was unhappy about as I beat him to it mwhahaLOL LOL

You may laugh! I had two spare airboxes I was trying to make as complete as possible to move one on to fund a resto of the other for my 6

Carl Grimsley sorted me a deal for that one he'd had powdercoated....so keep.ya snorkel LOL LOL

Seriously, looking good though bud

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 6th Jun 2020 at 20:21
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #270
Not much to add recently.

purchased a 25mm wheel spacer as I always felt a little stretched while driving.

This has made a massive difference to the overall feeling and steering of the car Thumbs up

Part from that went for a good ole drive with LOTEK

And got an MOT that passed with flying colours Big grin

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner

SEARCH

click here
Posted 21st Jul 2020 at 08:52
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #271
So been at it again with the Rallye, This time its more of a comfort update Cool Cool Cool

Went for a set of Corbeau RRB Reclining seats.Love Love Reason for this is per the market s**te by Corbeau themselves :hahah

"Closest you can get to a true fixed back seat, whilst retaining a reclining function for long journeys. With the unique seat bolster design offering the maximum lateral support possible in a road seat".

As the car is a daily weekend hack that goes on track when I can I thought these would be the best option,Also the other reason for these is as always to keep the wife happy.

As she suffers with a bad back this little luxury should help her on our longer journeys.

In terms of fitment they weren't direct fit so I had to do some modifications to the OMP Subframe to get the perfect fit. The result is a bang on dead central seat but.....................

A VERY snug fit to the central console. The only issue with this is the mounting of the Lap belt, As you can see in the first pic the angle and overall length are right so the mount point will have to be adjusted.

Easy on the door side but a bit of a pain on the inner side, so after some searching I managed to find two options of which one was very easy to source.

Essentially it is an extension mount so the eyelet seatbelts can fit. Alot of the CLIO boys use them and so do Porsche so until I can get the over option I saw purchased or made these should do for now. Also purchased another gearknob as mine was rather f**ked.Love Love

New cage padding some sensors and some welding to the cage plates is next on the agenda.

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner

SEARCH

click here
Posted 27th Jul 2020 at 14:52
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #272
So as the passenger seat finally arrived I managed to get in in along with my new seat belts Thumbs up

After a lot of checking measurement I managed to also get the lap belts mount point in the correct and a comfortable position, both mounted with spreader plates and popped and extra nylon nut on the inner one time bend hooks.

Love

Still need to get some padding to pop between the seatbelt cross section so they don't move in the case of and impact.

And with that all done all I needed was to fit the new carbon refurbed knob,

driving position is soooooooooooooooooo much better a lot more comfortable and looks way cooler, so with that I decided to take her with me on a couple days off to Cornwall...…………………..Epic roads ended in epic issues popping up. first one was the fuel pump decided on several occasion not to prime what so ever when we stopped a few times, this resulted in the car not starting correctly on several occasions. When the pump did prime it almost sounded like my belly when hug over after drinking far to Much rum so I binned it.

the second thing was a odd high pitch squeal and a banging from the back end passenger side every now and then, sometimes this also happened under heavy breaking...….checked everything you can think of and still no idea what the banging is, As for the squealing managed to find that the centre section can hit the headshield due to being a pattern part cat so...……….bought one off Thugpugging.

Then turned attention to the front as I was getting a clicking and knocking under load up the very steep Cornish roads. As the clutch had never been amazing on the Rallye since the leaking crankseal I was sure that this was one of the issues which sure enough it seems to be the case but to add insult to injury is seem she has shat herself again

Angry s**t repair results in a second failure of the cup section

Hopefully should get this resolved as soon as, part from that I ordered some B Pillar vinyls with a twist Big grin a new bearing for my quickshift and new clutch and cable.

the struggle continues

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner

SEARCH

click here
Posted 13th Aug 2020 at 13:47
Joep

Regular

Post #273
Awesome build! To be honest, I use your car as example for how to fit the seats and belts. But also a bit for the exterior as I have a black car as well.

Unfortunately, my OMP seats do not have the fitting on the bottom. Therefore, I need mounting brackets fitted on top of the OMP base. But that needs some modification as the standard holes are way off!

My (to be fitted) cage has horizontal bars for fitting the belts that run over ones shoulder. But I never knew how to fit the belts that run over your legs/waist.

Thanks for these great pictures!

PS: I was the one on FB asking for more details recently Wink

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 13th Aug 2020 at 11:27
WA7ER

Post #274
Is this the same Rallye that I've seen around HP / Cain Road in Bracknell a few times?

Cracking looking car, I'm taking notes for my own Smile
Posted 13th Aug 2020 at 13:06
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #275
Joep wrote:
Awesome build! To be honest, I use your car as example for how to fit the seats and belts. But also a bit for the exterior as I have a black car as well.

Unfortunately, my OMP seats do not have the fitting on the bottom. Therefore, I need mounting brackets fitted on top of the OMP base. But that needs some modification as the standard holes are way off!

My (to be fitted) cage has horizontal bars for fitting the belts that run over ones shoulder. But I never knew how to fit the belts that run over your legs/waist.

Thanks for these great pictures!

PS: I was the one on FB asking for more details recently Wink

Haha what are the odd just sent you some on faceacheLOL

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner

SEARCH

click here
Posted 13th Aug 2020 at 13:07

Pages (13): first .. 10 [11] 12 .. last