displaying posts 1 to 25 of 33

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Rallye rebuild, pic heavy
peetypug

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
As some of you may know I bought an ex pugplus minter (that's the only time I will refer to PP or call it a minter) in April off jamesmall

He had it for 2 weeks and had overheating issues as the fans didnt kick in! Sad so parked it up while he tried to resolve the problem with the previous owner, nothing was resolved Dry
I bought it as a suspected HG failure as there was a lot of mayo in the radiator Shock

Anyway, I got it to my unit and flushed the system and it seemed fine, not much oil seemed to be getting in the oil (what was left could have been stuck in there) I swapped the heat exchanger as these have been known to break down internally.

I then took it to the northwest rolling road day where it made a very healthy 178bhp. However, when I got back to the unit the radiator had a very familiar mayo in it!

So I took it off the road and decided to strip it and change any parts that needed it and clear up all the rust that it had (lots and lots of the stuff Angry most of the boot floor was rusty as were the chassis legs in the engine bay, when I say rusty I mean no paint at all!!

Over the next couple of days I will keep adding to the thread I will also come back and add photos as and when I can

Cherry rallye - DOB Thursday 29/04/1999
Team Rallye - the leaner, meaner, better looking sister of the GTI6 Big grin
roland rat wrote:
You sir either live for the 6 or have a mental retardation to still be repairing this!

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so fecking temperamental. 
Posted 19th Aug 2011 at 05:35
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Another Cherry Rallye being done up - excellent!

My sub-frame is orange from rust. I'm dealing with a bit of underbody surface rust - even though there is not a huge amount it is time-consuming to sort properly.

Some say they rust worse than the GTI-6.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 13th Aug 2011 at 00:59
peetypug

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Afaik they didn't put a lot of underseal on them to keep the weight down
I removed all the rust, Krusted it, then anti rust primered, then cherry red hammerite, then a nice thick coating of wax oil! Added about 10kg to the overall weight but I'll have a poo before I go for a drive

roland rat wrote:
You sir either live for the 6 or have a mental retardation to still be repairing this!

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so fecking temperamental. 
Posted 13th Aug 2011 at 02:18
peetypug

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Jobs I found initially were
Bumper held in with plasterboard and self tapper screws

They were through the slam pannel below the lights and through the wings!!

The headlight height adjusters on the back of the lights were the wrong ones
Did I mention the fans didn't work? I replaced them at the same time as the heat exchanger.
The front edge of the bonnet is very very rusty as is the passenger wing (supposedly had a full respray in the last 12 months) these are getting replaced as is the knackered bumper
TREs and wishbone bushes were shot as were the drop links so they have been replaced

The OS drive shaft was also knackered, it fell apart when I pulled the hub off.

Then it was engine out time, the top mount was completely shattered, luckily the captive bolt in the chassis leg was still intact

I then set about the engine to see what I needed to sort it. On initial inspection it just seemed like a straight forward head gasket job, but when I cleaned the top of the block it revealed 7, yes SEVEN fractures in the block

4 were into 2 oil galleys, 2 were water jacket to water jacket and the last was at the rear of the block
It also seemed like the HG had been replaced not long ago and either the cracks weren't noticed or they were ignored Sad

roland rat wrote:

Posted 19th Aug 2011 at 03:23
peetypug

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
So once it was out I decided to clean the bay up a bit.
Both chassis legs were rusty beyond belief, so a good dose of sanding disk, wirebrush etc, the Krust, anti rust primer and a nice coat of cherry red hammerite Big grin later and it was looking much better

I then set about the rear, boot floor, inner wings above the tank etc.
So first off was the beam, the brake lines came out of the compensator with no problems. I also noticed why the beam looked lower on one side,

the passenger side arb plate was swinging freely, the bolt that locks it on place was missing. It was threaded and will need tapping to fix it.
Then it was a case of just unclipping the brake likes to lower the tank. That wasnt the case both main lines were badly corroded and snapped like they were matches!

So once the tank was off I had to replace the whole of both lengths of brake line from the bulkhead back
The underside of the boot floor was a shocker :O I've never seen so much rust, so out came the sander, wirebrush etc and te same process as the chassis legs was applied

While I was doing this I had the apprentice at the unit next door blasting and painting as many parts as he could during his breaks as little earners on the side for him (getting him to do me some wheels tenner a wheel ain't bad Big grin and he is quite good)
this is how it looks now

I also had to decide what to do about the engine, do I buy an unproven engine, buy a whole car or fix the engine with A new block.
I chose option 2, I found an 86k phase 2 car with FSH cambelt done etc for £650 still had 4 months mot and 5 months tax so drove it round while the rallye was off the road. Once it was ready for the engine I would break it and chuck the engine in

roland rat wrote:

Posted 19th Aug 2011 at 03:28
peetypug

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
The car came with a gti6 interior, a very good one at that!
But it needed a propper set of seats.
So a quick call to marksorrento205 and my seats were sorted. I think it helped that I sold him a 205 engine a while ago that still had some oil in it, this decided it would leak all over the rear bench when he travelled home. Oh and the fact he had a mint set helped Big grin

roland rat wrote:

Posted 14th Aug 2011 at 14:57
peetypug

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
As I have broken about 10 '6's in the last few months I had lots of spare parts to sort out it's many issues
The parts I've replaced so far are

Front bumper - bought off birk (top bloke and very fair)
Both wings - mainly due to the screws through them and the passenger side being a pattern wing due to it previously having a near side impact Sad
The radiator - I damaged it wheel it was in storage
The bonnet - very very rusty
The engine - due to cracked block, did cambelt, tensioner, idler and water pump with a gates 136 tooth belt, also did the inlet/exhaust manifold gaskets and crankshaft oil seal, I received a lot of help from marksorrento205. I can't praise te lad enough! He may look like Jesus but he certainly knows his stuff
The front brake disks - it has Xsi 266mm disks and 283 mm pads Shock
The wishbones - P bushes were knackered as were the ball joints
The TREs - one was knackered so replaced both

really knackered
The drop links - why not Smile
OS drive shaft - it was split and sprayed grease everywhere
Engine top mount - was in 2 pieces
Fan coiling from a none air con phase 1 - due fans not working at all!!
Right hand oil breather on head - had been split when the head was last off
The metal pass cooling pipe that runs behind the bumper - damaged during front end impact
Put a front splitter on - didn't have one
Slam panel - lots of bolts snapped off
Interior - was gti6
Rear quarter windows - were limo black Shock
both front arch liners - were missing broken
Rear beam - arb was not working due to the threaded bolt hole, so used a very good phase 3 item
Front calipers - looked like the car had been swimming in the sea
Rear calipers - just as a precaution
Bulkhead to rear calipers brake lines - very corroded, almost dangerously Shock
NS rear light - was cracked
Parcel shelf - was a phase 1 item
Replaced the rear wiper motor - wasnt plugged in, when I did plug it in it nearly set the car on fire
Peeled the limo tint off the boot glass

Would you have paid £2200 for a car with this many problems???

roland rat wrote:

Posted 19th Aug 2011 at 03:50
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #8
should have just scrapped it Wink
Posted 14th Aug 2011 at 16:57
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
MintThumbs up

Cool

Get used to seeing the yellow one !!!MehMehMehMehMeh
Team 330™Cool
Team "no front end or engine"
Team "LIMITED EDITION" I live for the 306 stickerSmug
Team 0-60 in 6.44 & standing qtr in 14.808 @ 94.55mph all with std engineSmug
203bhp Corolla T-Sport daily driver stealthier than Kwai Chang Caine
Posted 14th Aug 2011 at 16:59
peetypug

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
roland rat wrote:
should have just scrapped it Wink

If I didn't have all the parts probably would have changed the engine and sold it

midlife wrote:
MintThumbs up

Cool

I've noticed the for sale thread for it has been edited so there is no description of it Dry

roland rat wrote:

Posted 15th Aug 2011 at 13:13
peetypug

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
After I had sorted the rust it was just case of starting to bolt parts back on.
First was the beam, initially I was going to do away with the compensator on the beam, only because the beam I had was a phase 3. But after taking to my local pug parts desk I found that I would need to swap the abs unit for a later one.
So I removed the seized compensator and gave it a good old soaking and worked it till unseized. The only problem I then found was I didn't make a note of the pipe routing.
Luckily I had the phase 2 outside to check the routing Smile

The tank went back very easily, helped by the fact the tank hanging bars had been cleaned and painted.

This is when I turned my attention to the engine, I sorted out a few days where I could be without a car and started to buy the service parts.

I decided that I would keep the rallye for myself, so decided I would sell my laser green 205 gti6. I love this car but it's nit practical.

A mate told me he was interested in it, so I arranged for a test drive. He loved it, but said it wasn't practical enough. That's when he asked about the silver phase 2 that I was going to break.
He offered a good price so I accepted. I would now have to find an engine. After a 2 minute search on here I found 2 available. Ashs rebuilt rallye engine and Andy798s 86k engine. Unfortunately as is my luck ash had taken a deposit on his that morning Sad so a quick call to Andy and I was on my way to widnes to collect it.

roland rat wrote:

Posted 16th Aug 2011 at 13:11
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Coming on now then PeteSmile

Get some pics upWink

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 17th Aug 2011 at 02:27
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Huge amount of work here. Makes me wonder why mine is taking so long when it goes already.

Let's see some pics.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 17th Aug 2011 at 02:35
peetypug

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Will be adding them tomorrow hopefully
I can't believe how much work it has been, now I've written the list down it's gob smacking Shock

Also this is the first major project that I've taken on and finished Big grin which even my wife is pleased about

roland rat wrote:

Posted 17th Aug 2011 at 03:06
peetypug

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
whats wrong with this picture?

does this help

how about this?

thats correct, xsi 266mm brake disks on 283 calipers and pads

roland rat wrote:

Posted 19th Aug 2011 at 04:08
peetypug

Seasoned Pro

Post #16

does this help?

how about this?

its the reason the aux belt kept nearly coming off
the bolt has snapped and its been weld...bodged very poorly as it wasnt even flush with the mount Blink

roland rat wrote:

Posted 19th Aug 2011 at 03:49
Stuwee

Senior User

Post #17
peetypug wrote:

does this help

thats correct, xsi 266mm brake disks on 283 calipers and pads

Nice....

Ph1 Cossack 6

Posted 19th Aug 2011 at 03:52
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Jesus!

Bar the engine i'm doing pretty much everything you're doing mate, am unemployed though so plenty of time every day to f*ck around!

Still need to sort out two new wishbones and a subframe and fingers crossed will be back on the road soon.

Price and issues aside, imagine how good it will feel once everything's sorted? Least you know you've given it a good going over Thumbs up

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 19th Aug 2011 at 04:06
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #19

p.s do you do finance for the 205?
Posted 19th Aug 2011 at 04:07
marco gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
Shock Shock Shock
Wow mate seems like you have lots of work to be done to get her "mint" which she was supposed to be.
Good luck with the rest of the rebuild Thumbs up
Posted 19th Aug 2011 at 04:11
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Holy carumba! Some unhealthy bodges you're uncovering there.

Good luck with the rest of the car.

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 19th Aug 2011 at 04:15
peetypug

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
its done, on the road taxed and mot'd!
im loving it Love

i never thought i would say this, but, i actually now prefer the look of the 306 to the 205 Shock

if it had of been any other 306 model i would have stripped it

with it now having all new bushes and mounts it drives like new aswell Cool

ash, yes, i think i do live for the rallye

finance is available

a down payment of £1500 followed by 24 monthly payments of £100 Razz

roland rat wrote:

Posted 19th Aug 2011 at 04:18
gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
peetypug wrote:

But pugplus doesn't work for some partioning firm and breaks cars for a hobby does he?

Shock LOL
Posted 19th Aug 2011 at 04:25
peetypug

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
gilesy wrote:
peetypug wrote:

But pugplus doesn't work for some partioning firm and breaks cars for a hobby does he?

Shock LOL

LOL

he can come on and say it wasnt him that did it, but i have the pictures from the origional for sale thread that show it without its bumpers on when its being mopped/clayed/painted

roland rat wrote:

Posted 19th Aug 2011 at 04:35
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #25
Swap for a slightly loose 9 year old clit-o? LOL

205 would be a perfect weekend toy but having no garage to store it means it would rust away before my very eyes Sad
Posted 19th Aug 2011 at 04:32

Pages (2): [1] 2