Geek

Last one

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 9th Jul 2011 at 05:00
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
^^The 1.4 uses that exact system...

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 9th Jul 2011 at 05:07
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
what, gilesy's? Laugh my ass off

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 9th Jul 2011 at 05:08
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
What gilesy just posted is more along the lines of what I'm used to....

Deepak Gohil

Posted 9th Jul 2011 at 05:36
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #30
cwspellowe wrote:
Geek

Last one

That looks pretty good, you don't want such a sharp angle on the outlet cone though, if you have a space put on a longer one with a less acute angle on it.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 9th Jul 2011 at 13:47
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
Space is a big issue, ideally don't want to have to relocate things for practicality reasons. Need to put a pram in the boot so battery relocation isn't an option, meaning I can't rearrange everything else. If I could move the battery, I could more the who ABS unit and fuse box and have the airbox behind the headlight but nae luck, would involve a lot of work.

Davey the filters i've been looking at have a spun aluminium neck, like this

ITG Maxogen

Looks better to me than the likes of K&N and Pipercross that just have a flat wall with a pipe stuck in it. Any idea what difference the coned and fully coned filters would have? Thinking of the coned JC60/73FC. Outlet is spun aluminium, 73mm ID, 76mm OD. Filter length is 152mm, diameter 149mm at the neck reducing to 114mm at the base. According to my maths that leaves this:

Space is going to be tight, I only measured enough room for a 17cm diameter box with a 20cm - 25cm tapered base. Air's going to have to come from behind the fog light through a 90degree bend unless I want to invest in a new rad to leave space at the n/s. The idea was to create a kit that improves on the £200 enclosed jobbies, a new shiny rad and top hose kind of blows the budget LOL

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 9th Jul 2011 at 20:49
bobdylan_55

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
what you need is one of these

Itbs, and CFD tested for airflow (Y)

work is my own

309 GTi6-T
Posted 9th Jul 2011 at 21:19
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
nice, but not exactly conforming to the £200 budget LOL

I need to learn how to use fluid dynamic software Yes

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 9th Jul 2011 at 21:51
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
At uni i used Gambit and Fluent to do some CFD, i didn't really like it though, sometimes results seemed to not make sense, and boy did it like to crash every now and again Doh

I believe it can be acquired from certain sources on the internet, but its not software that you can really teach yourself like most software, and it needs a fairly decent spec pc to do all the calculations in a reasonable amount of time.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 10th Jul 2011 at 01:04
bobdylan_55

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
i used the built in software to solidworks. It can be tempremental but seems to give quite good results if ran on decent resolution tests.
I worked out that that design ^^^ flowed quite a bit better than standard and also reduced turbulence, which in the standard inlet was quite bad in the last 2 cylinders towards the end of the plenum chamber.

309 GTi6-T
Posted 11th Jul 2011 at 02:18
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
Been having a rethink, will be relocating the battery to the boot and the ABS to where the battery is.

Currently mocking up a new airbox design out of polystyrene, going to carve it up and bondo the outside to seal it, then make a fiberglass mould. Thinking of a clasped lid to access the filter easy enough. Cold air will be routed from directly underneath the airbox, fed by the fog light.

Bespoke all carbon system with the inlet tract being made from carbon too, laying the shape with polyethylene tube as it's a delicate angle, about 10degrees or so, from the headlight area to square with the throttle body. It'll then be used as a male mould to make a carbon inlet pipe.

Incidentally i'm looking at making carbon fibre 90 degree elbows to fit normal induction kits if anyone's interested?

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 14th Jul 2011 at 04:54
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
How much would they be do you think?

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 14th Jul 2011 at 15:57
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
I'm pricing it up now, but it's not looking cheap! Shiny though!

Trying to decide which would be better, using a braided sleeve rolled over a mandrel or laying the cloth and having a join, hidden from sight.. Hmm

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 14th Jul 2011 at 16:00
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
Hang on a minute. Have you seen the BTCC setup? Uses a smaller rad located in the same place on the drivers side but is 3" inboard on the passenger. The space is then used with a full height opening into a filter and huge carbon airbox straight onto the TB.

I've seen one for sale in 6 years and it went for decent money with the rad on ebay. Too much for me at the time. Wish i'd bought it though.

Induction length always seemed to make a difference. The filter on to the TB seemed to make very little torque compared to a K&N 57i in the standard airbox with the lid off. Water depth never, ever seemed to be an issue for me!

Nothing to see here
Posted 14th Jul 2011 at 17:11
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
See here

Nothing to see here
Posted 14th Jul 2011 at 17:14
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
I like that, but the custom rad bit doesn't appeal to be honest. I've a 2 year old Nissens that seems to be doing a good enough job and don't want to have to buy another rad!

Enclosed cone/cylindrical filter or panel filter? For the amount of space I have to work with, a cone would give more surface area in a smaller space. Thinking that's still the best option to be honest...

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 14th Jul 2011 at 21:27
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
Could you not move your rad over a bit or up/down to make the space? Or take it from the area under the bonnet leading edge (where the normal snorkel hops over the rad)? Shorten the induction length and take it from the high pressure area on the front.

To give you an idea impreza and volvo standard airboxes with flat panel filters are fine for way over 300BHp. I reckon the standard 306 box is good, but the pipework to the TB could be better. If you could make that box lighter, remove the resonator and take it off the standard intake pipe then happy days.

Nothing to see here
Posted 14th Jul 2011 at 22:24
gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
Aren't you reinventing the wheel a little? I like the thinking behind it all but can't help thinking it'll be for so little a gain that its not worth it
Posted 14th Jul 2011 at 22:36
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
just make a box and point a co2 exinguisher into it and squeese lever when you wanna go faster Dunno
Posted 14th Jul 2011 at 22:47
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #45
405 T16 used the same air filter element and canister as the 306 at 220 bhp.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 15th Jul 2011 at 00:28
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #46
adam b wrote:
I reckon the standard 306 box is good, but the pipework to the TB could be better. If you could make that box lighter, remove the resonator and take it off the standard intake pipe then happy days.

Exactly, too many bends, flexi sections, all adds to turbulence. Plus the plastic isn't great for heat shielding. I'm looking at a full carbon system from air scoop to throttle body, the first time it will come into contact with heat of any sort will be at the throttle body as opposed to sucking cold air in from the start.

gilesy wrote:
Aren't you reinventing the wheel a little? I like the thinking behind it all but can't help thinking it'll be for so little a gain that its not worth it

Not at all. I never said I was trying to improve on the standard system, although it could be done. I'm making something more car-specific than a "universal" CAI kit like the BMC and the Viper. Considering they're around the £200 mark, and I reckon I can do all this for around £100 including the ITG filter, why not? Only reinventing the wheel so far as making my own consolidated pipework and airbox. People do that all the time by fitting an induction kit, only they go with what the filter manufacturer says is best Wink

Like I said, a "306 specific" induction kit just mean it has a 76mm neck diameter. Mine WILL be specific. If it does no better than a Viper or BMC, who cares? I've still built an enclosed carbon induction kit for half the price of them new.

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 15th Jul 2011 at 01:23
lewisdmz

Senior User

Post #47
Interesting thread.

How much of an effect would turbulance inside the enclosure on the unfiltered side make? Wonder if you could put some fins or something inside the box to try and calm things down a bit?
/clueless speculation

I was thinking of wrapping the standard airbox in some sort of heat reflective tape. I bet the whole thing heats up pretty well but I wasn't sure how much it would actually increase intake temps, i mean how long is the air in there for 1 second max? How much can it really heat up in that amount of time?
Posted 17th Jul 2011 at 01:19
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #48
Compared to an open filter, an enclosed box with external feed keeps inlet temps much cooler. Plastic suffices, the Audi R8 for instance has a V8 engine mid mounted with a plastic airbox and that seems to manage!

Carbon will help keep temps as close to atmospheric as possible, the main issues with heat usually only come with open filters, or high powered engines that put out a lot of heat.

Engines respond best when the air being drawn is the least turbulent. That's one reason why undertrays help if you have an open filter, reduces turbulence in the engine bay. Also a vented engine bay to allow air to flow through it instead of sitting in it will bring temperatures down.

Not sure how to reduce turbulence in the box, but as smooth an inlet as possible will help. Same with the cold air feed.

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 17th Jul 2011 at 01:53
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
Here's a couple of induction mods Ive worked on

Airbox/throttle pipe

Throttle - foglight pipe

Both made an improvement, the second more so. Another member made a copy of the second one out of two 90o silicone bends and some aluminium pipe which worked well on his car. I was thinking of making another with a 76-90mm bend at the top http://www.auto-performance.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=23_44&products_id=476 and 90mm pipework to the filter
http://www.auto-performance.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=22_39&products_id=304
http://www.auto-performance.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=36_143&products_id=870
but I dont know if it would make much improvement over what Im using already. I've driven this in torrential rain with no problems.

Mounting behind the foglight gives a good flow of cold air.

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
Forum Search Clicky
Posted 24th Jul 2011 at 23:12
lewisdmz

Senior User

Posted 29th Jul 2011 at 02:47

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3