displaying posts 1 to 25 of 26

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: davies craig electric water pumps
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
anyone fitted one of these to their gti?

if so any appreciable gains?
they say 1 - 10% bhp depending on revs

this is a weird area perforance increase i know, i just like the fact that unlike most engine mods it should redude my fuel consumption

thoughts? critasisms?

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 18th Jun 2011 at 02:59
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Not this again LOL

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 18th Jun 2011 at 03:00
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #3
Can I get a Reewinddd!?

Met this girl on Monday, took her up the ar...

Crraaaig David!

Taxi...

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 18th Jun 2011 at 22:13
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #4
Unless it's solar powered it won't reduce engine load...

Rich
Posted 20th Jun 2011 at 00:21
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #5
Rich E wrote:
Unless it's solar powered it won't reduce engine load...

It will reduce it slightly, as it's one less parasitic belt driven load, obviously the alternator will be working a little harder to produce the extra current needed, but I bet that would be less than the waterpump and alternator belt losses combined. Question is, is it worth the £300 odd for the pump and plumbing for a half a horsepower gain? I don't think so. Plus you will have to sort out something with the cam belt, too much hassle by far.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 20th Jun 2011 at 03:08
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #6
daveyboy wrote:

It will reduce it slightly

Perhaps very slightly, but I don't think it would reduce it enough of offset the extra load on the alternator caused by an electric pump. After all, it's not a sealed pump that's pressurising the water. It only provides flow and water isn't dense enough to provide the sort of resistance you're talking about.

[Waits to be corrected by someone with a PhD in fluid mechanics]

Rich
Posted 20th Jun 2011 at 04:14
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Water is actually pretty dense, but then a car alternator is only about 50% efficient (that's why they have a cooling fan).

Added to that, the original system is failsafe, the D-C pump isn't, and there's a whole list of reasons that can make them go (and a whole list of people that have had trouble too).

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 20th Jun 2011 at 04:18
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #8
Don't forget it does'nt run all the time, its thermostatically controlled unlike the belt driven pump which runs constantly. On e less nbelt driven load, plus the ability to only turn as fast as needed should be a decent saving in parasitic loss, but it's still so small its not worth the aggravation. Just another gizmo to sell to people with too much money to play with.

Harness bars
Posted 20th Jun 2011 at 04:23
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
its not just for performance gains. however due to its nature it could help support other mods past normal specifications. due to an increased cooling capacity

the pumps wattage it less than a horsepower. and seeing as my enigne is a 2.0litre and this pump does upto 5 litre engines. it will be running nowhere near maxiumum wattage all the time.

its allows the system to be load dependant. as in it works when it needs to not all the time. further so. a larger flowrate isnt actually a good thing past a past a point. the limtations of the water pump speed being glued to engine revs are gone. along with the dangfers of water cavitation

as said before i like it because is a sortof new unsual technology . and its within my grasp of doing at home without paying a garage to do so. the hradest thing i have to do is remove the impeller from the water pump.

and yes i do have a solar panel which i have permanantly mounted on my rear parcel shelf. car sits on my south facing drive all weekend while im at work Smile

Posted 20th Jun 2011 at 04:32
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
^^Well, that'll give a whole 10 watts extra then.

You'd save more power parking it somewhere indoors that kept the battery warm and the voltage up.

And you'll never save enough on economy to pay for the water pump either, nowhere near.

Email me!
Posted 20th Jun 2011 at 04:34
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #11
Also make sure you've added the extra kilogram of weight into your fuel efficiency calculations.

Rich
Posted 20th Jun 2011 at 04:37
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
its far more than 10watts from the solar panels. i use another one indoors to charge up my batteries for my mad inventions and eperiments i do at home (hho welding torch, teser gloves, custom ac unit. the list goes on)

unless you were talking about wattge in a bhp sort of way

i reacon between a 1 - 5bhp gain

btw where the nearest cheapest in birmingham yo get a dyno test? to prove or disporove my attempts?

Posted 20th Jun 2011 at 04:40
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
You'll never even see the difference on the dyno.

Email me!
Posted 20th Jun 2011 at 16:10
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
jimmyhackers wrote:
they say 1 - 10% bhp depending on revs

LOL

That is all.

jimmyhackers wrote:
it should redude my fuel consumption

Oh no it's not, I want my consumption re-duded too.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 20th Jun 2011 at 17:30
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
thanks for shooting be down before ive even started trying to fly.

being how i am. im still going to do it, just to proove a point (might be your points or mine though Big grin)

this will probly be after a full service, suspension, induction/exhaust,battery relocation and polycarb windows

and owain if all you have to pick on is typo's the get even more bent you pedantic knobber.

id still like to know a good cheap dyno place in the midlands as i still plan other mods and itd be nice to see what of the original 167bhp is left after 16years

Posted 20th Jun 2011 at 22:13
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
jimmyhackers wrote:
and owain if all you have to pick on is typo's the get even more bent you pedantic knobber.

LOL

To be fair, I wasn't just picking on the typos. Mate if you come back with proof that these things work and give impressive gains I shall happily doth my cap to you and buy you a pint.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 20th Jun 2011 at 22:20
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #17
Well they do say a fool and their money are easily parted. You would be better off putting the money towards lighter wheels or an F/G bonnet than risking a warped overheated head when the overpriced pond pump you have your heart set on fails without warning (as they all seem to do) but I admire your determination Smile

Harness bars
Posted 20th Jun 2011 at 22:21
bennn

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Pretty sure my S3 had something similar, but i think the reason behind that was to keep the water circulating after the engine had been switched off so the turbo could be cooled without leaving the engine running.

Cherry Red 306 HDI
Championship White Integra DC5 Type R
Posted 20th Jun 2011 at 22:41
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
daveyboy wrote:
You would be better off putting the money towards lighter wheels or an F/G bonnet

i already have the wheels i want. ignore the crap photoshoppigng its really my old 5 door 1.4

do they do fiber glass phase 1 bonnets?

jimmyhackers has attached the following image:

Posted 20th Jun 2011 at 22:52
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
bennn wrote:
Pretty sure my S3 had something similar

your right my friend had it in his vr6. audi/vw are onto it in a respect. however this pump has potential for a lot more with the elecetric controller box.

this company make the smaller pumps for turbo cooling and go karts etc. they pioneered the electric rad fan ages ago. it seems this might become another case of the digital revolution.
carbs to injection, fanbelt driven fan to eletric rad fan. no brain to ecu.......list goes on

i think the newer pugs have eletric power steering pumps aswell now dont they?

only iffy issue is reliability

Posted 20th Jun 2011 at 23:08
bennn

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
cant see why they would put one on a vr6. Its standard on the s3's due to the turbo, however i dont see the point of putting one on a n/a engine.

Cherry Red 306 HDI
Championship White Integra DC5 Type R
Posted 20th Jun 2011 at 23:11
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #22
Thing is, loose your power steering pump and you can still steer, loose your water pump, engine potentially ruined, no brainer.

Harness bars
Posted 20th Jun 2011 at 23:12
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
fair point

maybe ill get one for a mssive turbo instead then Razz

Posted 20th Jun 2011 at 23:13
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
jimmyhackers wrote:

i think the newer pugs have eletric power steering pumps aswell now dont they?

yep, and 3 of those have died on me so far...

Email me!
Posted 20th Jun 2011 at 23:18
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #25
The Yanks have a saying which fits here:

Keep it simple stupid!

Harness bars
Posted 20th Jun 2011 at 23:20

Pages (2): [1] 2