displaying posts 26 to 39 of 39

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: 405 GTI6
405gti6

Junior User

Post #26
Engines might be cheap in UK, but in Norway you pay at least 800 for one. Was only bought 20ish 6s here... Some were imported though. Engine I got here was bought in UK before I got it.

XU10J4RS powered 405 Big grin.
Posted 29th Jun 2011 at 13:40
405gti6

Junior User

Post #27
rallyeash wrote:
does sound liker a tapper im afraid. what oils in it? spark plugs all tight yeah? although don't think its that tbh.

Aye, all spark plugs are tightened, probably too much LOL, but yeah they arent loose at all.
Oil is Magnatron or whatever from Castrol. 15w-40. Car is still pulling good though,really nice ride.Big grin

Posted 30th Jun 2011 at 00:24
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
Should really have a nice 10/40 oil in it. Dunno if this could make it tap though.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 30th Jun 2011 at 05:01
405gti6

Junior User

Post #29
Ah sorry, was stating wrong oil. Used 5w-40. Which is recommended for cold climate, as we have in Norway, by Autodata.

Posted 30th Jun 2011 at 23:04
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
Ah... Id have thought that'll be fine. Good luck with the car. Looks a cracker. Smile

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 30th Jun 2011 at 23:34
405gti6

Junior User

Post #31
Latest pics of the bay.

Tap seems to have quieted down quite a bit. Might have been a sticky tappet after all Smile. And as someone pointed out, it really feels right at home in this car Love.

Posted 7th Jul 2011 at 22:16
arigti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
405gti6 wrote:

Nice Thumbs up

Only 20 GTi6' officially sold in Norway?! Shock

I Live for the 306 Ninja

TEAM CHERRY PINK RALLYE
2008 BMW ///M 320d
Posted 11th Jul 2011 at 20:14
405gti6

Junior User

Post #33
Today I might have discovered the cause of tapping. The timing belt and all the extras was swapped by the previous owner before I bought it, so thought it was ok to go... Decided to have a peek at the belt today because I had some belt noise, which was not from the aux belt. To my great dispair the belt was so loose it was almost funny it was still on! The covers were covered in black dust from the belt... No No

I did check the tension of the belt before putting it in the car and it seemed right. Did not turn it over by hand though, so maybe the previous owner haven't done this... Or maybe he didnt adjust tension between the cam sprockets. Dunno

So first thing to do is to check the alignment of things when weather clears. But it could have jumped a teeth or be out I guess. Would be strange as the engine is not down on power as far as I can judge.

Posted 24th Jul 2011 at 17:24
405gti6

Junior User

Post #34
Luckily the timing was OK and the pulley is a non-slipper Smile.
So decided to strip the interior as Im going to do some welding on the right sill. Its pretty much all thrown out now. Discovered some other stuff that needs welding...

Seat mouting completely rusted away Blink:

What needs to be done:
weld hole in rear right wheel arch.
seat mounting.
a couple holes under the fuel tank.

And no the interior is not going back in. Im getting some real seats together with 4 point belts.

Posted 31st Jul 2011 at 00:02
405gti6

Junior User

Post #35
Well, got my rear beam and fuel tank off. The rear beam mountings were of course siezed so had to drill out a bolt after I snapped the absolute bo***cks threads on the inside of the car. Need to weld a new bolt on there, thats a easy fix though. And yeah, of course also all the bars except for the ARB had to be cut to come out. It seems the biggest problem to getting em out is that its impossible to hit them really hard without deforming them and jamming then even harder... Thats was OK anyway as I'm going to be jamming in some 21,5mm Partner bars. I got some real torsion bar love yesterday Razz...
Thankfully both of the shafts is in fairly good nick. Surprisingly as this is the original beam anno 1994 with the crappy Pug plastic bush and no grease point mounted up. I will at least rebuild it with grease points as the Pug dealers did in Norway. Thats supposed to increase the life of the bearings by a good amount. I'm delivering it to a sandblasting company as the beam is fairly rotten and I dont want to do fill up the backyard with sand Wink. It will also be powder coated by these guys so should be solid.

Also stole a driveshaft of a scrapped estate and gave it a blast, lick of paint and new boots as my shaft was shagged by the GTI6 engine after a couple weeks (was bad before as well, but didnt like the additional power).

Once rear beam is sent off its time to break out the welder. Im aiming to get done with this really fast. Going to blast the floor to get all the shit off it then weld all holes that pops up. The seam where the boot floor meets the backplate is rotten all the way around after it clearly has been taking in water. Then its the sill of course...

Posted 6th Aug 2011 at 00:30
Stuwee

Senior User

Post #36
Top project.

When the beam is re built could you please put some pictures up of these greasing points.

Might be worth adding in when i encounter a beam refurb.

Ph1 Cossack 6

Posted 6th Aug 2011 at 01:55
405gti6

Junior User

Post #37
Yeah, I will. I got a scanned schema as a pdf. It is in Norwegian though, but I will translate Wink

Posted 6th Aug 2011 at 02:46
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
Good project and a beautiful car Thumbs up

Get over to pugfest 2012 Cool

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 6th Aug 2011 at 05:45
405gti6

Junior User

Post #39
Maybe I should. Stick a spare GTI6 lump in the trunk while Im there Wink. Would be legalized theft to buy one at prizes you have over there for me.

I will do a weight check on the car after Im done with all this. My goal is sub 1,1 ton. Original weight is 1160 kgs. Probs more with the GTI6 in there.LOL

Posted 6th Aug 2011 at 20:20

Pages (2): 1 [2]