displaying posts 1 to 25 of 39

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: 405 GTI6
405gti6

Junior User

Post #1
So I got a little bit tired with my 405... Figured out I wanted some more power in my GTX. Was in the begining just going to put in a Mi16 ph1 engine, but ended up going a little bit outside the box instead. Was offered a 60k miles GTI6 engine without a lot of stuff such as ECU, manifold lots of tubes, and flywheel etc. Was a little skeptical as I couldnt really dig up any info on this conversion... But in the end decided it had to be tried at least.

First problem was that the GTI6 box sticks about 4cm outside the chassis leg and hits the ABR drop links... So a Mi16 ph2 box was bought. It could probably be modified to accept the 6 box though...

Second problem is that the exhaust spaghetti hits the gear selector shaft and has got 1mm clearance to ARB... So that needs to be modified by cutting the lowest section and reweld further up, and the flange has to be cut off and the tubing needs to be extended about 2cm further down the tunnel and flange rewelded. Note: Tilting engine does not rectify the problem at all. The manifold itself does not hit the firewall or tunnel at all. The exhaust system is same diameter as GTI6 (2,25") and the flanges are the same style and mate fine, but the downpipe will have to be shortened some to not hit the ground... If you dont want to chop the spaghetti manifold you can use a exhaust manifold from a XU10J4R as that will clear everything and also mate perfectly to the original downpipe.

If you want to keep PAS you need to get custom hoses made up. I got mine made at a dealer in Norway named Tess. The high pressure hose is pretty expensive to have made as the tubing and one-way valve are quite expensive...

You can use the original 405 cooling circuit by blocking off the two extra overflow/bypass pipes to the radiator and putting in a Spoox aluminium push-on adaptor. However this only works if you remove the heat exchanger on the block. I did this and bought the short loose threads that screws into the block from main dealer. If temperatures rises too much theres more than enough room to fit a air cooler for the oil.

The engine loom is pretty straight forward as all the wire numbers are the same. Colors is not though. Some wires is unused on both components here. E.g the car has wires for "water in fuel" lamp and "glow plug light". 306 and 405 shares the same multiplug type, but the pin data is not the same however...

Some pictures:
The car, 405 GTX 1994 Sorrento Green:

The engine, looking rather sorry for itself:

Engine was stripped and block was painted white (did it to see leaks easier later). Replace cambelt etc... Then bought a fresh rallye AUX setup:

Started to complete it with all parts. Bought most off people on this forum (including a locked ECU Razz )

Mounted up the Rich W flywheel Big grin

Mounted up in car with all hoses connected up(Note the old 8v shitter in the background Big grin ) .:

Engine wouldnt fire at all. Triple checked the wires and voltages and everything was correct. Turned out to be a locked ECU. Started on first crank with a working ECU... Don't have any more recent pictures, but I guess Ill get some new ones when Ive neated up the bay. Car will be drivable by this weekend I hope, if I can borrow a ECU... Will be ordering a socketed ECU from Rich. But I guess the car should be quick. The GTX is about 60kg lighter than a 306 and handling is not bad either. Crazy

XU10J4RS powered 405 Big grin.
Posted 16th Jun 2011 at 03:14
ellis

Post #2
something differant, i like it. Would be awsome stripped out and caged, touring car style
Posted 16th Jun 2011 at 03:17
j1mmy

Regular

Post #3
Nice project smart looking 405 to keep us posted

now a very happy an proud GTi6 owner! Big grin

TEAM: Blaze phase 2
TEAM: Off the road for now Sad

Nimrods going up 4 sale will be available in the next week! Pm if interested.
Posted 16th Jun 2011 at 20:02
smevs

Post #4
Seen a few of these on the 405 mi16 forum. And there is even one with a 206 gti engine (EW10J4). Should make an awesome car given that they weigh the same as a 306. Nice work!

I drive a Peugeot, yet i always recommend a Honda?
Posted 16th Jun 2011 at 20:23
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
looking good!

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
Posted 16th Jun 2011 at 20:32
andy306gti

Regular

Post #6
Awesome, I love 405s. Tidy looking motor too. Thumbs up
Posted 16th Jun 2011 at 21:12
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #7
Shock look at all that room!

A Job well done Clapping

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 16th Jun 2011 at 21:22
405gti6

Junior User

Post #8
Thanks for all good comments Love. I really like this car, kind of cant let it go even though I should.
Started tiding up things today. Fitted the air filters. K&N... Probably not the best place in terms of cold air, I might weld me some kind of scoop from grille to the filter... Could have opted for a even bigger filter though Razz, lots of space as pointed out hehe. Also fitted a small filter to the idle valve as you might just see...

Got a ECU ordered from Rich_w today, so that will hopefully arrive soon.

Posted 16th Jun 2011 at 23:32
j1mmy

Regular

Post #9
Looking good mate any other plans for it? An how bout some more pictures of the rest of the car? Thumbs up

now a very happy an proud GTi6 owner! Big grin

TEAM: Blaze phase 2
TEAM: Off the road for now Sad

Nimrods going up 4 sale will be available in the next week! Pm if interested.
Posted 16th Jun 2011 at 23:35
dan86

Senior User

Post #10
Love this! Good work matey.

Posted 17th Jun 2011 at 02:34
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Nice to see a 405 being saved for once instead of cannibalised for a 205! I like it. Big grin

Ph1 306 GTi 6 | RX8 231 S1 | YBR 125 Cafe Racer | MT-03 660
Posted 17th Jun 2011 at 08:41
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
looks smart mate, nice to see a 405 having some love

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 19th Jun 2011 at 00:26
arigti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Nice work. Thumbs up

Do love a shiny Inlet Yes

I Live for the 306 Ninja

TEAM CHERRY PINK RALLYE
2008 BMW ///M 320d
Posted 19th Jun 2011 at 00:41
405gti6

Junior User

Post #14
Cleaned up the engine to car loom connections today.

All soldered and shrinkwrapped. Its the big one thats zip tied. Really neat engine bay now compared to what it was like with the original 2.0l 8v Crazy

Still havent done its maiden trip as I werent able to borrow a ECU, so will have to wait for Rich_w's to arrive, which might take some time here in Norway.Sad Might even have time to make a cold air duct.

Future plans as someone asked is of course a Lynx charger kit. But first I need to chop off right sill and do a full rebuild of inner wall, reinforcement and outer wall (luckily outer wall is available as a pattern part). After that its a rear beam rebuild.

Posted 19th Jun 2011 at 03:45
daviewonder

Regular

Post #15
Very nice job, that engine looks right at home in there too. Good to see a 405 getting some love.

Why is it that shoe repairers are so good at cutting keys? - Harry Hill.
Posted 19th Jun 2011 at 05:31
405gti6

Junior User

Post #16
Been driving it an hour today Big grin.
This engine gives so much more driving pleasure than my old Mi16 any day. The sound is from the heavens when pushed! Cant wait for tomorrow so I can proper up a couple things in the bay and ride until sunset Razz

Everything works fine. Might be a little bit hot under the hood, but I guess thats what to be expected...

Posted 25th Jun 2011 at 02:02
405gti6

Junior User

Post #17
Engine is ticking some, is that normal? Not really loud, but nevertheless there is some...
Might be a tapper Crazy

My old 8v is ticking quite a lot. People told me that Pug injectors is noisy, dunno if thats right for the GTI6.

Posted 26th Jun 2011 at 22:36
andy306gti

Regular

Post #18
The Gti6 injectors are quite ticky. The tapping noise a "tapper" makes is quite distinctive though so it's probably ok but without hearing it it's hard to say.
Posted 26th Jun 2011 at 22:42
405gti6

Junior User

Post #19
Recorded idle:
http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/848/8so.mp4/

Posted 26th Jun 2011 at 23:04
andy306gti

Regular

Post #20
To be honest it's hard to tell what it is on a recording but when you rev the engine it doesn't sound like injectors. However when I replaced my engine with one that had been stood a while it sounded quite similar but once it had been ran up to full temparature for a while it quitened down to normal. I replaced my engine because it was a tapper which died catastrophically in the end but the valve tapping sound was quite distinctly metalic in sound. As I say over a recording it's hard to determine.
Posted 26th Jun 2011 at 23:28
berger

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Sounds to me like it is a tapper.... Sad

Bang'in 7 gram rocks!
I have one gear, GO!
Posted 27th Jun 2011 at 02:02
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
Any news on that tap? Looks a quality car you have there. I do love 405's. Smile

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 28th Jun 2011 at 21:25
405gti6

Junior User

Post #23
The tap is still there, but less noticeable at idle, still there on high revs. Its probably a fooked head with my luck Smile.

I guess I could allways get a new head for it. Whats the going rate for a good/recon one from someone on this forum?

Posted 24th Jul 2011 at 17:16
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
£350 fully referbed from mechanical.repairs on an exchange basis. In fairness i drove my tapper for 66k and never missed a beat. Only f*cked up after i had the head done. So you could just leave it as engines are cheap enough on here.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 29th Jun 2011 at 02:08
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
does sound liker a tapper im afraid. what oils in it? spark plugs all tight yeah? although don't think its that tbh.

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 29th Jun 2011 at 03:20

Pages (2): [1] 2