displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: Weeping joint
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I fitted a Wilwood lever style bias valve into my track car which has 1/8" NPT threaded ports for the inlet and outlet, and braided lines supplied by mrswampy which go into and out of the bias valve.
The braided lines have 10mm threaded ends as far as i am aware and use a 1/8" NPT to 10mm threaded adapter to connect them to the bias valve.

I seem to have a small leak somewhere on this setup, i can press the pedal as hard as i want and you won't see any fluid come out but after say 30 mins you will feel brake fluid if you rub your finger under the joints. I don't know whether its the NPT joint or the 10mm-10mm joint thats leaking but i have bought another litre of brake fluid and want to get it fixed.

The adapters are screwed into the bias valve pretty tight and likewise the lines to the adapters.

What are your suggestions for sorting it out, i'm heading off to the 'ring in a few weeks so need it sorting asap so i can finish off testing the car's reliability in advance LOL

Goldie the track car.
Posted 20th May 2011 at 22:39
gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Can you use PTFE tape with brake lines/joints?
Posted 20th May 2011 at 23:08
mr swampy s16

**BAD SELLER**

Post #3
You havent over tightnd the union in o the bias valve and crackd it?
Its a taper fit, so slightly narrower at the bottom than the top of the thread.
Posted 20th May 2011 at 23:11
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I dont think i've over tightened it, it won't screw in any more but i am only holding the bias valve round the main body for leverage, not furter up the lever which would allow me to have more leverage.
It looks fairly sturdy too so i doubt it would have cracked the casting for the amount of force that i've used.

I had wondered about ptfe but thought i would ask on here incase it would be an epic fail.

The bias valve came with a couple of unions which had some sort of coating on the thread, i wonder if thats like a loctite type thing to help seal the join.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 20th May 2011 at 23:35
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Can you take a pic of all the components.

You could try this. I'm not too sure about it though.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 21st May 2011 at 16:03
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #6

I can undo the brake lines and take pictures of the bias valve and adapters too if you want?

Goldie the track car.
Posted 21st May 2011 at 16:06
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
The bias valve came with these fittings, they are 1/8" NPT to 3/8 24TPI adapters which are apparently to suit double flared brake lines.

Looks like they like to use a loctite type sealant on their threads.
I'll call a few motor factors and see if anyone has some brake line sealant in, though im sure its not the best way of going about it.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 21st May 2011 at 16:18
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Yeah, Wilwood stuff usually has a hydraulic sealant already on it (it's actually a PTFE based sealant too), it's more to resist vibration than anything though, they should seal even when dry.

If you wrap some tissue tight around it with a little tape it should show you which joint is leaking.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 21st May 2011 at 17:46
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
I've just been for a test drive down some back lanes and it seems to have stopped leaking altogether now Blink

I think i will order a couple of these
Hopefully the brass will form a better seal with the ally and stainless than the stainless adapter did and solve the problem.

Thanks for the info though phil, if it still leaks with the brass adapters i'll give that a try Thumbs up

Goldie the track car.
Posted 21st May 2011 at 20:12
rallye1999

Senior User

Post #10
Did u use tapered fittings on the wilwood bias valve?
Posted 22nd May 2011 at 02:14
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
rallye1999 wrote:
Did u use tapered fittings on the wilwood bias valve?

Yes They are 1/8" NPT to M10x1mm adapters.
I think it's where the adapters go into the housing that are leaking rather than where the lines meet the adapters.

I will get them brass adapters ordered and may buy a bottle of thread sealant just to make bloody sure that they won't leak as i can't be arsed paying £16 for another fluid change if the brass adapters alone don't fix it.

Touch wood that the bleed nipples havent had chance to seize yet LOL

Goldie the track car.
Posted 22nd May 2011 at 02:18
rallye1999

Senior User

Post #12
I sed a little bit of thread tape on mine, so far it's been fine
Posted 22nd May 2011 at 05:57