displaying posts 1 to 13 of 13

Author Subject: Tapping after 6 months of no use *Vid Added*
rich999

Post #1
Hi guys,
I have been reading all the posts I can about tapping engines, on this site and others, but none are the same as mine. The car has been parked up for 6 months now after it got a 2 page list of failures on it's MOT, and the birth of my first son slowed down my work on it. The car had a very quiet engine newly fitted with a Sabre Head, after a cambelt failure when I picked it up. But I came to start it today and it has a very noticeable tap coming from the top of the engine. (Oil level is fine)
So my question is how can a quiet engine, turn into a tappy engine with absolutely nothing being done to it???
I'm going to try and get a video of it tomorrow so I can get your opinions on it.
Posted 14th May 2011 at 21:06
matty_rallye

Senior User

Post #2
If its the usual head tap after a cambelt failure then theres no quick and easy fix. It will be down to poor head repair. Head will need to come off, poss bent valve / guide tapping. Thats the most likely thing, sorry.

2.1 16v 306 Rallye.
Posted 14th May 2011 at 03:19
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Dont panic!!!!! The Hydraulic lifters will have drained, take it for a good run and get the oil up to temp, it'll quieten down.

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 14th May 2011 at 03:35
rich999

Post #4
allanallen I really hope your right! As the car has no Tax/Test at the mo taking it for a 'run' is a no go. So how long would you leave it running if it was idling on my drive?
Posted 14th May 2011 at 03:43
knoxie

Regular

Post #5
I also have a tapper, mines normally when it's warm not cold :s I have read a good few threads can't find anything to relate? Could it be the oil getting too thin?

ex S16 (K.I.A Sad )
GTI 6 Big grin
TEAM more scratches than an emo kid
TEAM BLACK
but wishing it was bianca white Sad
Posted 14th May 2011 at 03:48
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
It you're 100% certain it wasnt a tapper before you laid it up for 6 months, then its more than likely a slightly sticky hydraulic tappet. Mine wasnt started for 4 months over the winter and it sounded like an old Ford CVH for the first 10 minutes.

Let it run for as long as it needs on the drive, then give it a fresh oil and filter change and it should be ok

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 14th May 2011 at 03:54
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
It's naturally quite a noisy engine due to the injectors anyway, but let it warm up as already suggested and once oil's circulating again it should quieten down.

If you heard the engine running before it was left standing and it was fine then, there's nothing could have happened to bend valves whilst it's been sat. More than likely nothing to worry about Smile

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 14th May 2011 at 03:58
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
I highly doubt you've bent a valve or damaged a guide by not using your car,regardless of what the scaremongers would have you believe.
Start it up and hold it at different revs for a couple of minutes. Lifters tend to be noisy after being stood and they love decent Fresh oil of the correct grade.

Facebook
Posted 14th May 2011 at 04:00
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
knoxie wrote:
I also have a tapper, mines normally when it's warm not cold :s I have read a good few threads can't find anything to relate? Could it be the oil getting too thin?

I recently bought a forum diagnosed 'tapper'. It tapped when it got hot, I changed the oil to the correct grade and it's quiet as a mouse even when the oils up above normal running temps.

Facebook
Posted 14th May 2011 at 04:04
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
True, but it depends how hot the engines get too. If a valve is squiffy or the timing is slightly off, the expansion caused by the heat of a ragged engine can cause it to tap when the top end gets hot.

I think it was welshpug who said a valve opening and closing at up to 4000 times a minute becomes like an elastic band. If the clearance is minimal, it gets even less when the engine's hot and revved.

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 14th May 2011 at 04:30
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Most hydraulic lifters do this if they drain over time and stick slightly, warm the oil up at a fast idle, usually once it's thinned out and the surfactants become active it'll clear whatever shit is in there and go away.
If so, drop the oil, replace with new and warm it up again and it should be gone for good.

If not, you might have to take it for a long drive to get enough heat into the engine to sort it out, but if it didn't tap before it shouldn't be a bent valve or guide problem.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 14th May 2011 at 04:45
rich999

Post #12
Cheers for the help guys! Here is a link to the video taken this morning (engine cold). What do you think

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh215/Ghia999/f31399f0.mp4
Posted 14th May 2011 at 13:58
felixthecat

Regular

Post #13
Any news on this, rich?
Have to say, mine sounded exactly the same after it had stood for around 5 months (only driven in summer). Did an oil change with filter and drove it a few miles and its quite again Smile. So maybe this should be the first thing to do.

306 Gti6 Cherry Red Supercharged Smile

Greets from Germany....
Posted 17th May 2011 at 03:19