displaying posts 1 to 17 of 17

Author Subject: big end bearings ***HELP***
l_e_cook

Post #1
having done a little spirited driving over the weekend i have managed to blow my big end bearings

i am looking for a uprated set but have absolutely no idea where to start

any advice or links to where i can get some would be a great help

cheers in advance
lee
Posted 21st Mar 2011 at 23:07
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I can supply uprated engine bearings.

Do you know what size you need? Do you need the mains and the big ends, or just the big ends?

Rich Smile

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 21st Mar 2011 at 23:48
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Are they really that bad? As in a sprited drive could kill the big end bearings?

owain wrote:
A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
Posted 22nd Mar 2011 at 00:59
crf450

Senior User

Post #4
If you've knackered your big end shells I'd put money on it you've bent your crank and ovaled a rod.

Quote "da g man!"
"You've only got to watch the "306 vs ringtaxi" video & you soon realise how good these mod's are! That guy is running Ash's 30mm ARB, Solid Mounts & 23mm Torsion Bars & some adjustments on the camber. Admittedly, the guy is an awesome driver, but it just go's to show how well these cars can handle with the right modification's
Posted 22nd Mar 2011 at 01:43
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
You from Belper Derbyshire?

owain wrote:
A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
Posted 22nd Mar 2011 at 01:47
daij1380

Post #6
crf450 wrote:
If you've knackered your big end shells I'd put money on it you've bent your crank
Confused
Posted 22nd Mar 2011 at 02:04
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
crf450 wrote:
If you've knackered your big end shells I'd put money on it you've bent your crank and ovaled a rod.

Seconded, mine developed a bit of a knock.... Bent the crank and ovalled the rod. The crank was reground true but the rod obviously had to be replaced.

A spirited drive won't kill the bearings but lack of oil/oil changes will.

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 22nd Mar 2011 at 02:23
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #8
those would be worse case scenario's though really, you never know how bad it is till you have an engineer check it out.

CUJ's Rallye developed a very light knock but didn't spin the shell so a simple +0.3mm grind on the big ends and standard mains was all it needed and it was a lovely engine afterwards I am toldSmile

Though I've yet to hear it as Jon unfortunately wrote the car off before I had the chance, and I don't know where its gone now LOL (probably in rat boy's stash somewhere! Laugh my ass off)

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 22nd Mar 2011 at 02:39
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
So as long as oil changes are adhered to this problem should be avoided? Along with not cooking the oil?

owain wrote:
Posted 22nd Mar 2011 at 03:04
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #10
depends hot its been treated by previous owners, and also how hard you drive it around long curves etc (oil surge, they aren't too bad for it but do still suffer if worn)

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 22nd Mar 2011 at 03:35
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
The Mi16s realy suffer from oil surge dont they? I think i should be safe, i lose my bottle on the public road way before pushing the limits of grip on corners!

owain wrote:
Posted 22nd Mar 2011 at 14:13
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
The Mi16 alloy engines do yes, but the GTi6 engine doesn't suffer from surge that badly. I never, ever had it in mine even with half decent suspension and Ratboy plastered against the side window.

Nothing to see here
Posted 22nd Mar 2011 at 14:44
crf450

Senior User

Post #13
I've done over a dozen Mi/gti6 engine re-builds that have had big end bearing issues and every one of them whether they've spun a shell or not have ovaled the rod as well as bent the crank.Every time bar one occasion the bend in the crank has ground out but the one that didnt I ended up getting most of the bend out with a fly press then ground it true.
Most people that are re-building these engines wouldnt even think to measure the rod for ovality and they would run ok for a bit but would soon be through the white metal on the sides of the rod where its down on size.

And yes I am from Belper Derbyshire.
Cheers Martin.

Quote "da g man!"
"You've only got to watch the "306 vs ringtaxi" video & you soon realise how good these mod's are! That guy is running Ash's 30mm ARB, Solid Mounts & 23mm Torsion Bars & some adjustments on the camber. Admittedly, the guy is an awesome driver, but it just go's to show how well these cars can handle with the right modification's
Posted 22nd Mar 2011 at 18:26
ben306

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Im in the process of building up a fresh bottom end for mine following it spinning a shell only 140 miles after having done the top end rebuild.

My 306 Rallye Project Thread

Few recent Youtube track videos, more on my channel
Pair of Rallye's doing a few laps of Anglesey

Lap of Anglesey Coastal

3 sisters circuit

Few laps at Blyton
Posted 22nd Mar 2011 at 19:08
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Its good to know that someone with so much knowladge is in close proximity. My parents live in Codnor so thats where i spend my time when im not away. Do you own a company?

Am i also right in assuming you know Andy Pell, has a red 205 xu10, that recently cracked the block.

@Adam, that the same car i now drive? When funds allow id like to go a similar route to what you did with suspension, will get in touch Smile.

owain wrote:
Posted 22nd Mar 2011 at 19:20
l_e_cook

Post #16
allanallen wrote:
crf450 wrote:

Seconded, mine developed a bit of a knock.... Bent the crank and ovalled the rod. The crank was reground true but the rod obviously had to be replaced.

A spirited drive won't kill the bearings but lack of oil/oil changes will.

yea i think the original cause was stem seals as it did smoke a bit and i neglected to check the oil so no oil and buggered stem seal + a spirited drive(understatement)= engine buggered

noww looking to replace the whole lump but only looking for a block with no ancillarys

anyone got a runner laying about ???

cheers
Posted 23rd Mar 2011 at 00:07
l_e_cook

Post #17
rich_w wrote:
I can supply uprated engine bearings.

Do you know what size you need? Do you need the mains and the big ends, or just the big ends?

Rich Smile

can u pm me a rough [price for the upgraded bits

cheers lee
Posted 23rd Mar 2011 at 01:17