displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Rough Running Part 3
ed_doe

Regular

Post #1
Rough Running Part 3

Ok I'm still having problems with the 6.

I'll explain the whole lot:

Since I bought the car in mid-november, it's developed a lumpy idle and lumpy partial throttle.

In my time of ownership I have had the following work done:

Replacement cambelt and crankpulley (I wouldnt have had this done but the previous owner hadnt had it done properly; it was looser than yo mama, and Nick @ Lynx said I was pretty lucky it didnt skip a tooth and kipper the head)

Millers fully synth 10-40 oil, ngk iridiumzz and replacement oil and air filters

Brand new Bosch OEM Lambda sensor

I've also had the cat replaced for a decat pipe, as the down pipe before the cat split. Admittedly the de-cat pipe isn't a great fit to the mid-box, and does blow slightly, but it cant surely be causing the rough running?

I've also had the car on the diagnostics three times at Lynx; once to diangose the faulty lambda, once when the lambda was fixed to clear all faults and check all was working, and once 2 weeks later to check it was still all working LOL. NO faults at all (this was last weekend; Saturday 5th March)

OK, so bearing all that in mind here is the problem:

When starting up from cold, initially it idles fine; then after around 10secs when it settles to idle, and then starts almost to miss. Listen to the (poor quality) sound recording of what it's like from about 10secs after start-up. Taken from the NS wing mirror, and then moved to behind the NSF wheel at ground level.

When cold-idling, the engine seems to rock/jump a bit. The mounts admittedly aren't the freshest, but theyre certainly not shot... Its not perfectly smooth when warm either...

I havent driven it for around a week, drove it a bit on the weekend and it seemed sortof ok, but today its just been shit.

It just sounds like somethings off-balance when accelerating under partial throttle now too... It doesn't lurch, but doesnt seem at all smooth etc like it should be...

Ok, So does anyone have any ideas?! The car IMHO is fapping mint on the outside, and when it works I love it to bits, but I'm sortof getting fed up with the persistent rough running issues and throwing money at it quicker than I can earn it Sad

All help greatly appreciated!!

ed_doe has attached the following image:

'97 Black Dturbo 110,000miles: SOLD
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti6 108k RIP
'93 106 1.5n/a d: daily hack YAAAAAWN
'00 Ph3 Astor GTi6 117k Love
Posted 15th Mar 2011 at 01:10
bukosgti6

Regular

Post #2
map,tps,icv
Posted 15th Mar 2011 at 02:46
gocart man

Junior User

Post #3
This might get a few groans from some on here but here go's.
My 6 was running rough after I had replaced all inlet valves and all 16 guides. Ran fine for a while then sounded like a scooby when hard on the gas, engine was lumpy at idle as well. Did compression test (key the groans) and I was down 100psi on one pot. Took head off and removed all valves to find most of them not seating cleanly. Lapped them all back in again as before and it now runs smooth and quite..
i am not saying this is the issue however it is worth a check on the compression.
Posted 15th Mar 2011 at 03:22
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #4
Coil pack on its way out??

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 15th Mar 2011 at 12:34
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #5
stan_306gti6 wrote:
Coil pack on its way out??

^ this!

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 15th Mar 2011 at 13:08
ed_doe

Regular

Post #6
Ok, I've had my weekly Gti6-Agony Aunt session with Rich Walker and booked it in with Lynx Saturday. 1st thing on the list of checks is the coil-packs. I might try and diagnose them myself if i get time in the evenings after work.

Thanks for the help, I'll report back on Saturday! Smile

'97 Black Dturbo 110,000miles: SOLD
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti6 108k RIP
'93 106 1.5n/a d: daily hack YAAAAAWN
'00 Ph3 Astor GTi6 117k Love
Posted 16th Mar 2011 at 13:02
fozzy_255

Senior User

Post #7
When my coilpacks where playin up the engine light came on when it was running on three then turned off when the coil decided to fire again.
Posted 16th Mar 2011 at 17:11
mike rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
what the best way to test a coil pack?
Posted 17th Mar 2011 at 00:45