displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: Suspension Gurus - Help!
samjl

Junior User

Post #1
I'm trying to turn my car in to a track car.

At the moment I have AP Coilovers and some decent brakes, the coilovers are to soft though, and it is getting to much roll and provoking to much under steer, so I want to make it stiffer.

The idea is to get a 24mm Torsion Bar (I belive this is the largest size that will fit in without modifying anything?), Hybrid ARB and some 400lb springs for the front coilovers. The problem is that the AP Coilovers are more for fast road use, and the rebound is not adjustable, so will the springs be to hard for the coilovers?

Is 400lb a good match for a 24mm Torsion Bar?

Also, is there anyway to lock the top mounts to stop the play in the rubber effectively making them solid? Some kind of strut brace maybe that goes on to the suspension turret and then the shocker bolt holds it down to stop the top mount movement? I know its meant to be like this, and I should stop being a pikey and get some solid top mounts, but I have just bought these top mounts, and don't really want to fit solid ones already!

Regards, Sam
Posted 13th Apr 2011 at 19:11
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
you need to have the insert turned down to allow threads to reach through mount. Yes
or there is a special sleeve nut available.

you will also need a different spring pan Yes
Posted 8th Mar 2011 at 16:39
samjl

Junior User

Post #3
I don't really understand what you just said to be honest LOL

Have you got any links for what I need to buy, or am I just being lazy?
Posted 11th Mar 2011 at 05:17
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #4
Compbrake do a one degree castor/camber spherical bearing topmount. They need modifying before they will actually fit though. Also you will need a top spring cap if your coilovers did'nt come with one. And lastly, you probably wont have enough thread on the end of the damper rod to get the nuts on properly, this will require machining to sort. Get some pics up of what you have so we can advise you better.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 16th Mar 2011 at 00:36
samjl

Junior User

Post #5
Thread top changed as I couldn't make a new thread Smile
Posted 13th Apr 2011 at 19:11
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #6
Nobody makes what you want, you would have to draw something up and hand it over to an engineering firm to have it made up for you. By the time thats done it will cost a lot more than sherical topmounts AND be shit. Sell the OE topmounts and offset the cost of purpose built sherical units.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 13th Apr 2011 at 21:52
samjl

Junior User

Post #7
OK, I am not having something made, so I will buy some solid top mounts!

How about the spring's for the coilovers though? Will it be crap running a 400lb spring on coilovers that aren't made for a 400lb spring and aren't rebound adjustable?
Posted 13th Apr 2011 at 21:56
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #8
samjl wrote:
OK, I am not having something made, so I will buy some solid top mounts!

How about the spring's for the coilovers though? Will it be crap running a 400lb spring on coilovers that aren't made for a 400lb spring and aren't rebound adjustable?

I think you already know the answer to that one Wink

Harness bars
Posted 13th Apr 2011 at 22:07
samjl

Junior User

Post #9
True, I just didn't want to face the fact I have to spend loads more money Sad
Posted 13th Apr 2011 at 22:07
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Even then it wouldn't work as the OEM top mounts need the flex to accommodate the strut angle change from steering + wishbone movement.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 13th Apr 2011 at 23:52
gti-dan

Regular

Post #11
What's the firmest springs you can go to on Spax RSX coilovers or similar c. £500 coilovers. Same for torsion bars uprating tb's on simlar standard dampers?
Posted 14th Apr 2011 at 00:19
samjl

Junior User

Post #12
I'm on AP Coilovers, they come with rear dampers.

I need it to be stiffer, there is a lot of movement in the top mount, so I think that will be the first thing.

Wish I could just stick 400lb springs on the front, TB's on the back, and have done with it Sad
Posted 14th Apr 2011 at 02:41