displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Petrol in oil? NOW FIXED
gocart man

Junior User

Post #1
As the title suggests.
I have just stripped the head and lapped all the valves in as they had blow back and poor seats on some. Done due to loss of compression on cylinder 4.
When it dropped a cylinder I used ¼ tank fuel to cover 25 miles, not funny.
Any how finally got it all back together today and started it up, lots of white smoke and sounds like some valves are not opening up.
Pulled the oil vapour pipe off that goes back to the front of TB and it looked like someone smoking a bong...
Well it also used about 5 litres of fuel in the short time it warmed up. I checked the oil and the level seemed high and it smelt of petrol.

I have spent an hour looking on the search button and cant see anything relating to the above title or piston rings that has helped.

If anyone can give me some sound advice that would be great..
Posted 24th Feb 2011 at 02:45
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #2
The excessive fuel use suggests leaking / jammed open injector(s).

I doubt very much you have valves not opening though. This would either snap the camshafts or lock them up and shred the cambelt.

Rich
Posted 23rd Feb 2011 at 06:51
turbosa

Post #3
I would also say it could be a faulty Injector
Posted 23rd Feb 2011 at 10:10
gocart man

Junior User

Post #4
how would this give me petrol in my oil?

I meant ounds like a couple of the tappets have not filled with oil, so are compressing the springs but not enough to fully open the valves.

Going to drain the oil, check condition of plugs and complete a compression test.

Anything else I could check?
Posted 23rd Feb 2011 at 13:26
mark.evs

Senior User

Post #5
Fuel in the oil will be down to worn piston rings, it will also give u low compresion on a cylinder. wouldnt think it would increase fuel consumption mind, unless u have a leaky injector that has caused the piston rings to burn out.

My GTi6 track project

White Rallye project
Posted 23rd Feb 2011 at 14:16
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #6
A stuck injector will overfuel the cylinder, the fuel will wash the oil off the rings and travel straight to the sump. I would suggest you don't run the engine anymore as you may have already done serious bore/bearing damage. Investigate the fueling issue before you go any further. Flush the oil and do a compression test agin befpre you start her up again.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 23rd Feb 2011 at 17:02
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Rings could be worn and also faulty injectors.

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 23rd Feb 2011 at 22:15
gocart man

Junior User

Post #8
Well for all those interested.
After another day under the bonnet the over fueling was caused by a faulty injector cut off ecu that is on my lpg system.
It was giving a costant earth which resulted in the cylinder 4 injector acting like a tap..
Cut the lpg system out on that injector and reconnected injector as per standard and all is well.
Spoke to the company that fitted it and informed them of my findings and to my suprise he said he will lodge a claim with Prins who make the lpg system I have.
He said could have been serious and we need to check cat etc and all the work that has been carried out to fix it.
Thanks to everyone who has shared ideas.
Posted 24th Feb 2011 at 02:44
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Glad you found the problem - sorry I didn't get a chance to reply to your PM in time.

Smile

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 24th Feb 2011 at 03:49