displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Imobilizer question
mark.evs

Senior User

Post #1
Hi i'm pretty new to the site and in the middle of building a track GTi-6, I'm tring to get it as light as I can on a budget so electric widows and central locking including the loom and control boxes are being binned, but my quesion is will it still start without the control boxes? I dunno how the imobiliser works on the gti-6, wheather it's linked to the ECU etc, and if there is a way to bypass it. Any help would be appriciated. Many thanks, Mark

My GTi6 track project

White Rallye project
Posted 15th Feb 2011 at 16:12
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD USE THE SEARCH.

This has been repeatedly covered time and time again.

Oh, and hi Wave

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 15th Feb 2011 at 17:29
mark.evs

Senior User

Post #3
i did look through the search, found out about unlocking ECU's but thats not the box i took out. I'll bang the engine back in and try it. cheers tho.

My GTi6 track project

White Rallye project
Posted 15th Feb 2011 at 18:26
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Ah, what the hell. I'm feeling kind as I have a big plate of filthy chips in front of me Smile

Alarm ECU is in the rear right quarter panel, and can be removed. The central locking one is under the rear seats, and can also be removed.

The airbag one is under the centre console and can take a hike.

No matter which immobiliser you have, you'll need to have the engine running in order to remove it; the keypad one you simply disconnect with the engine running, the keyfob one you need to cut some wires while it's running.

Once it's disconnected, it can't re-immobilise the ECU once you turn the engine off.

But yes, you need the engine running in order to remove it Smile

HTH.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 15th Feb 2011 at 18:29
mark.evs

Senior User

Post #5
Cheers mate, thats made my day a bit better, i dont acctually wanna take the imobiliser out, I just wanted to bin the excess loom from the back of the car, i've already taken it out but was wondering last night if it would still start.

Thanks again

My GTi6 track project

White Rallye project
Posted 15th Feb 2011 at 19:05