displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Getting confused now!
gti-dan

Regular

Post #1
The more I read about suspension the more I'm getting confused about which way to go! Have always believed in trying things out for yourself but that can get expensive! Would like to get it right first time but there is so much conflicting info.

Current suspension set up is lowered all round about 35mm. Spax RSX coilovers and hybrid arb.

What I'm thinking is fit some solid mounts, 23mm torsion bars, 385 Lb springs and maybe only lower it all by 25mm?

Main things that are confusing me - total opposite opinions on solid mounts, will stiffening it all up actually give it less grip on bumpy hillclimbs, will the Spax dampers handle the bigger tb's and springs (hope so can't afford new ones), is the car currently too low, will stiffening the front bring in understear, will solid mounts cause understeer???

I just know it's not right now, the back end proper crashes as it gies over manholes or pot holes etc, front end maybe a little soft. What I have suggested doing above seems like the answer but like I say, so much contradictory info out there!
Posted 7th Jan 2011 at 00:25
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I'm no expert when it comes to spring rates and such, but having replaced my mounts with solid ones I really don't see how they can ever have any kind of negative effect.

The give in the rubber is in a rotational and lateral direction, ie they can move left, right and twist but they can't really move up and down. Because of that, I really don't think the vertical movement is responsible for any level of grip, so there won't be any lost by going solid.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 7th Jan 2011 at 02:40
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Rear bars | Rear stiffer % | Front springs

20mm | 100% | 110lb (i.e. standard)
21mm | 122% | 150-180lb (i.e. Eibach 7011)
23.5mm | 191% | 300-350lb (i.e. 306 BTCC)
25mm | 244% | 450lb

russian is the guy to chat to,and if you're gunna get rid of your 21's if you have someWhistle

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 7th Jan 2011 at 03:19
gti-dan

Regular

Post #4
Hovis, I have read on another thread that you have the contact details for a guy off ebay who will fabricate torsion bars - do you have his details please? I want to get some 23.5mm tb's.

I presume these fit into the beam with not machining?

Cheers

Just seen that you have recommended Russian....do yo mean "Russian Guy" as there is both!

Cheers
Posted 7th Jan 2011 at 17:45
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Russian Guy is the one you want, Denis I believe his name is.

He's also mates with Ash who makes the hybrid ARBs, so he's not exactly a bad guy to talk to either.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 7th Jan 2011 at 17:47
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
i mite have it somewhere not sure tho lol. is it not on the thread???

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 7th Jan 2011 at 17:51
gti-dan

Regular

Post #7
Not on that one but I'll try russion guy.

Just had a look under rear of car, total noob mistake but I reckon the bone shaking harshness of the rear will have been down to it bottoming out! The arm is only about 50mm off the bump stop. The standard tb's prob arent up to stopping them smashing into the bump stops.

Hopefully the dampers are designed not to bottom out at the point the arm meets the bump stop, can't see because of the cover on the damper but the piston must be nearly all the way in.

Hope 23mm tb's with theses dampers sorts it all out....should do!
Posted 7th Jan 2011 at 23:28
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
how have you found those coilovers so far?
Posted 7th Jan 2011 at 23:29
gti-dan

Regular

Post #9
Not got much to compare them to tbh but ok yeah, springs n tb's just a bit soft I think
Posted 7th Jan 2011 at 23:38