displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: Trim fixing/ glue- any ideas?
si_man306

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Really need to fix the trim around my door on the bmw back into place (it's coming off) but it's a non-hard plastic/ rubber and super glue lasts weeks if that. Is there anything made for this job? Can't really use house sealent etc as need to dry fairly quick before my arms drop off trying to hold it in place....?

"Rules are for the interpretation of wisemen and the obedience of fools" (Colin Chapman, Lotus founder)
Posted 30th Dec 2010 at 05:03
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #2
Windscreen glue ftw! Wink

Failing that tiger seal and a good clamp will do the job
Posted 30th Dec 2010 at 05:09
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Superglue and cellotape FTW, ergo

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 30th Dec 2010 at 05:09
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Spray adhesive is very handy for this stuff, takes just a few minutes to support itself. i used it for gluing the stupid wall carpets in the boot of the 306 back in place.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 30th Dec 2010 at 05:15
si_man306

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Thanks for that...i've tried that spray glue before actually (aaages ago) although it would end up all over the carpet bit of the trim.

I'll have a hunt for windsceen glue and tiger seal- was standing out there in ~0 degrees holding the damn trim thinking I really need to get round to buying a clamp too!! LOL

"Rules are for the interpretation of wisemen and the obedience of fools" (Colin Chapman, Lotus founder)
Posted 30th Dec 2010 at 05:20
gtisid

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
contact adhesive , or spray on contact adhesive will not work very well in these conditions 0 degrees. It is also no good for external stuff. i was watching a car restoration program this morning and inside they use contact adhesives. externally they seem to use windscreen sealer. i can recommend a product called prostick 2000 by soveriegn chemicals (a mirror adhesive)in black white or clear for holding external trims on as it goes off rock hard. you cannot beat renewing the trim and retaining clips for the proper fix though.

also bear in mind though that contact adhesive is petrol based so is flammable as any new ferrari owner will tell you so no good for sticking new covers to the exhaust heat shield!!

pugless
Phase 1 GTI 6 1996-1997
Subaru Impreza GB270 2007-2008
rare spiderman comics
same day international courier
Posted 30th Dec 2010 at 15:38
spitfire

Regular

Post #7
No More Nails will hold it!

If you aint first, your last!
Posted 30th Dec 2010 at 15:43
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
petrol and match
Posted 30th Dec 2010 at 17:09
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Most polyurethane adhesives should do the job.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 31st Dec 2010 at 01:51
si_man306

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
gtisid wrote:
contact adhesive , or spray on contact adhesive will not work very well in these conditions 0 degrees. It is also no good for external stuff. i was watching a car restoration program this morning and inside they use contact adhesives. externally they seem to use windscreen sealer. i can recommend a product called prostick 2000 by soveriegn chemicals (a mirror adhesive)in black white or clear for holding external trims on as it goes off rock hard. you cannot beat renewing the trim and retaining clips for the proper fix though.

also bear in mind though that contact adhesive is petrol based so is flammable as any new ferrari owner will tell you so no good for sticking new covers to the exhaust heat shield!!

LOL

Thanks for that, by contact adhesive, i'm thinking you mean spray type glues?

New trim/ fixings won't work as it's glued on from the factory unfortunately ("BMW in shock build-quality horror!" LOL) I think i'll try windscreen sealant/ prostick 2000. I think the best bet will be to rip off anything that's still stuck loosely and re-stick to get the best results- which'll be nerve wracking!

Posted 4th Jan 2011 at 15:08
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #11

Thats what you need
Posted 4th Jan 2011 at 20:23
si_man306

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
chris with a pug wrote:

Thats what you need

Although i'm guessing this is the stuff that caught fire in the fezzas, bearing in mind this is a BMW door trim (and not the surface of a V12- unfortunately Whistle) i'm guessing that would save trying to clamp the damn trim (near impossible with the angle it needs).

Odd question- am I right in saying that the evo stuff is orange coloured? As thats what was under it initially- not clear like windscreen sealent must be...

Posted 4th Jan 2011 at 20:50