displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Tightening up suspension & steering
af1-gti

Senior User

Post #1
What would be needed to Freshen up the suspension at the front?

It seems to wobble when breaking (but discs are not warped)

and at motorway speeds just feels a little erm loose?

I had a weird sensation when driving on the motorway where the car seemed to get heavy on the N/s i pulled over as soon as possible and when turning the steering lock to lock it seemed to 'click'

also when driving sometimes a knocking could be heard i think from the o/s it just seems to happen when going over bumpy roads but not when braking or speedbumps etc..

the handling is one of the best bits of the gti-6 and i'd love to feel it as it should be!

Rich E wrote:

With the 306 Rallye the goal wasn't to make a purer or more focussed car. It was to make a cheaper car, and then cynically use Peugeot's motorsport heritage to make it appeal to enthusiasts.
Posted 27th Dec 2010 at 02:59
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Mines had new lower arms, bilstein B4's and Eibach 30mm lowering springs with some unknown droplink brand. Also whole new top mount sets.
The result is mine feels as tight as a nun's arsehole.

I love stepping from the 150k miles meridian with bouncy knackered suspension into the 6 as the feel is so much better.

Could be buggered dampners or top mounts causing a loose feel or pulling to one side.

Pretty sure one of my struts is fubard on the meridian as one side is higher than the other and i think it might be pulling to one side slightly as well as rubbing when i turn the wheel slightly!

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 27th Dec 2010 at 03:04
af1-gti

Senior User

Post #3
its done 113000ish and its hardly mint... lmao

Rich E wrote:

With the 306 Rallye the goal wasn't to make a purer or more focussed car. It was to make a cheaper car, and then cynically use Peugeot's motorsport heritage to make it appeal to enthusiasts.
Posted 27th Dec 2010 at 03:06
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Mines on 63K and i think has alot to do with it.

Are you mechanically competent?

Maybe jack up the car and remove the wheels and just have yourself a bit of a gander around the setup in place.

New struts/springs/topmounts/droplinks would set you back about £250 or there abouts for the parts and if you or someone you know can fit them it will most likely freshen up the suspension no end.

Have you thought about your wheel bearings?
Do you hear any rubbing or grinding?

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 27th Dec 2010 at 03:10
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #5
More than likely the p bushes are mullered!Wink

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 27th Dec 2010 at 03:13
af1-gti

Senior User

Post #6
i have taken apart 2 306's.. so i know my way around, but im the kind of person who can take an engine out but struggle to replace a cambelt

Rich E wrote:

Posted 27th Dec 2010 at 03:16
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
You're still way beyond my abilities! LOL Thumbs up

There are loads of things that can freshen the suspension. A search would bring up a bevvy of knowledge on the subject. Smile

Posted 27th Dec 2010 at 03:19
af1-gti

Senior User

Post #8
i have had a little search, im still torn as to run this car for 1 year and not worry about it

OR

run it for one year and slowly replace/rebuild and plan to get it on the track

(got this as a cheap car for a year ...lmao... as i blew up my last car but am still paying the finance on it Sad )

Rich E wrote:

Posted 27th Dec 2010 at 03:21
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
jeffers wrote:
More than likely the p bushes are mullered!Wink

Second thatWink

Get a breaker bar on one of your wheel bolts without the car jacked up and lever the breaker barWink
If the P bushes are knackered you will get a fair bit of wheel movementSmile

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 28th Dec 2010 at 02:54
davewagon

Senior User

Post #10
coskev wrote:

Get a breaker bar on one of your wheel bolts without the car jacked up and lever the breaker bar;

Ooh I might try this as P bushes are a possible upgrade on my list, but what does this actually mean?

Am I trying to undo the wheel nut or tighten it? Does it need to be a breaker bar? Dunno (I'm not mechanically minded at all)

Cheers, Dave

Team: Moonstone GTI-6
Team: Working air-con™

ian7675 wrote:
Remember....a 6 isn't just a car, it's a part time job Thumbs up
Posted 28th Dec 2010 at 03:12
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
davewagon wrote:
coskev wrote:

Get a breaker bar on one of your wheel bolts without the car jacked up and lever the breaker bar;

Ooh I might try this as P bushes are a possible upgrade on my list, but what does this actually mean?

Am I trying to undo the wheel nut or tighten it? Does it need to be a breaker bar? Dunno (I'm not mechanically minded at all)

Cheers, Dave

Tighten/loosen I do,sort of rock it back and too,if your P bushes are shot you will get alot of movement in the wheelWink
The longer the bar the better,you need less forceSmile

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 29th Dec 2010 at 02:49