displaying posts 26 to 44 of 44

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: Using a strut brace with solid top mounts
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #26
You do need a strut brace, the turrets on a 6 are made from tinfoil. You do want a decent brace (Limited number of choices as it's not a popular modders car) so a steel one is the obvious choice. And I can see no reson why a competent mechanicaly minded person could'nt make provision for a fourth bolt using the OMP brace. Now about this gay stuff you were after, not my scene but I prpbably know someone that can sort you out, what exactly were you after? Leather chaps perhaps? Or a stick on handlebar moustache? Razz

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 20th Dec 2010 at 18:30
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
If I had a omp brace Im sure I could sort something out but as I don't have one how do I know that I can get a bolt in under the brace it's self, hence y I'm asking, no point in buyin one to find out the bar will be in the way!
Posted 20th Dec 2010 at 18:39
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
i have an omp strut brace with 3 hole in it, bolted down no problem.

i presume from the other thread you are wanting to know about the 4th hole location? i would assume it would be fine to CAREFULLY drill through the struct brace to get the extra hole down?

Team allesclar ®

Posted 20th Dec 2010 at 18:42
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
Daveyboy could you make an omp strut brace fit using all 4 bolts?
Posted 20th Dec 2010 at 18:43
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
Thanks dude just wanted to know if the cross bar will be in the way of the 4th hole or is the bar offset to allow a bolt every ¼?
Thanks
Ollie
Posted 20th Dec 2010 at 18:46
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #31
pugheaven wrote:
Daveyboy could you make an omp strut brace fit using all 4 bolts?

I suspect so, if you want to swing by some time you can offer my brace up and take a look for yourself.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 20th Dec 2010 at 18:50
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
No engine in the car so that might be a bit of a problem! Just want to make sure I can pitch the hole on the right place before I go and buy one! A side on view of the strut brace fitted would be good aswell as a birds eye view to see if it's possible to do!
Posted 20th Dec 2010 at 18:59
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #33
Looking at it, its going to be tough getting your bolts in the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions on the passenger and drivers sides respectively.

There are a few options but I think that as the OMP brace covers up what effectively would be the location for the fourth bolt hole, you won't see that it's not there anyway.

Harness bars
Posted 20th Dec 2010 at 19:24
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
That's more like it! So it looks like I'll just keep mine and not bother with the forth bolt as no matter what brace I get it will be the same, looking at the omp one I might be able to grind away a bit of the plate away so the bolt can be used it just won't go into the brace, if you understand what I mean!
Posted 20th Dec 2010 at 19:33
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #35
why the obsession with the "4th" bolt? there is no "4th" bolt, you're just making un-necessary work for yourself.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 20th Dec 2010 at 19:38
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
Surely the more the better! If iv already drilled the hole I might as well use it! Maybe if I had noticed the problem before I would have left it with just 3.
Posted 20th Dec 2010 at 20:01
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
More weight, no benefit...

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 20th Dec 2010 at 20:03
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
actually the more the better isnt necesserily true.

Team allesclar ®

Posted 20th Dec 2010 at 20:05
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
I'm goin to drill the centre out of every bolt to loose weight lol. I know more isn't better as it will make the turret more flimsy if i used every available hole on the top mount but as iv already drilled the 4th hole I may as well use it!
A) I wish I had never drilled the hole, Cool I wish I had never asked on this forum!
Posted 20th Dec 2010 at 21:02
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #40
So do we...LOL

Harness bars
Posted 20th Dec 2010 at 21:28
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
LOL

Team allesclar ®

Posted 20th Dec 2010 at 21:46
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
Was it really a stupid question? All I asked for was if anyone knew of a strut brace that would accommodate the 4 bolts I have on the top mount! Can't remember if I asked if it's ok to use 3 or even 2 bolts?
Posted 21st Dec 2010 at 05:05
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
It is, put the drill away, go drive it.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 21st Dec 2010 at 07:00
chrisd306

Seasoned Pro

Post #44

This was mine before i drilled a hole for the 3rd top mount bolt, ive got 3 bolts hold the top mount and 3 that hold the braqce in place. dont have a pic showing it tho

In my garage just now

2003 BMW M3 & 2009 L200 Raging Bull
& Audi Q5 S Line
AX stock rod & Saxo Stock rod
Sold the bike an charged rallye an bought a caravan, midlife crisis or what!
Posted 21st Dec 2010 at 15:00

Pages (2): 1 [2]