displaying posts 1 to 25 of 31

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: My Clio Trophy - the Pink Shed.
dave-rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Thought i might as well stick this up in here, im sure some of you will be glad of a read when there's nothing else to do at work Wink

This is my 2nd Clio Trophy, i sold a mint 50k one in September, then bought this 172k one instead (had both for a while lol) to use as a fun/track car.

And so, a brief history, in pictures:

Trophy #461

No clean shots in here detailing freaks.

It gets driven, & it gets driven hard. 172k miles & counting.

Mud is courtesy of the field at Haynes, which was perfect for handbrake turns Wink

Oh, and the money shot lol:

Trophy # 433 (now sold)

On its holidays in August, took in Furka, San Bernadino, Stelvio and various other awesome roads in the Alps, Italy & the south of France ...

Ninja

TEAM: 182 Trophy & ITB'd 3 Series
Posted 8th Mar 2011 at 20:53
dave-rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
And then onto Brands on the 28th:

First things first, on the Saturday, I realised that my MOT was going to run out on Wednesday, was a tad concerned with its heavy mileage, but it passed 1st time in the morning, without so much as an advisory!! Well done clio.

Whilst I was there, I helped my mechanic swop the DS2500 pads in, & bleed the brakes with Castrol Response Super Dot 4, didnt bother with braided lines as i think they’re a little bit of a placebo (the car feels no different to my 172 cup & previous Trophy that both had them). All done, I popped to a mates place of work to do the oil change and fit the Whiteline ARB thats been sat under my desk for the past month ...

With a KFC inside us, the oil change was sorted very quickly by my able assistant & it was onto the ARB. Firstly, it looked completely different to Nick’s, & secondly it was longer. Hmmm, perhaps its not the right one we thought? Bugger it, lets bosh it on anyway ... nearly 2 hours later, & having given up on the buzz gun, the extended breaker bar & copious amounts of WD40 had got the rear damper bottom bolts out, god only knows what Renault torqued them up to when they changed the dampers last year lol. Once they were done, we quickly offered everything up to car, & realised that yes, we were going to have to fit it completely differently to another one we did earlier in the year, with the droplinks on the inside of the bar instead of the outside Huh? weird, but there was no other way it would fit. With that finally done, I got ready to leave & took a quick pic of the new addition (for whoring of course):

Now, my mate Ollie, being the ex-valeter, was incredible upset with the state of the shed Trophy, & after finding out that I had never actually cleaned it, offered to give it a once over, purely as he wanted to see if it actually was still red under all the dirt & grime. It was, the 2118’s were also a completely different shade to what I thought they were lol!!

Then it was onto Brands Hatch on the Sunday, where we were a tad concerned about the weather, especially after seeing -7 on the way over there in the morning!!

We had a great day, yes it was cold, but rather sunny in places, with the track offering a decent enough level of grip. Well except Clearways in the afternoon after a TVR dumped its coolant all over the place. Coolant + -1 = ice = sideways Trophy!!

As ever, the car performed faultlessly all day, & the Whiteline ARB (Set to medium) has really transformed the car imho. Whilst i was suffering from understeer on the limit at Snetterton, this has now been replaced with a greater willingness to hold the line, combined with a improved tendency for oversteer. The car is now, & i hate to say it, very similar to the Vts on Bilsteins i had previously, which tbh i was trying to recreate!! I now have the option to steer with the steering wheel, throttle or brakes, the ARB stiffening the rear up to the point where it really is quite twitchy, lovely Big grin No more 3 wheeling either, so its certainly doing something back there!!

Anyway, my photos, courtesy of Focussed Events:

Only problem all day was that we (Sarah, my gf & i) were both sliding around on the seats quite a bit (despite harnesses), not great when you're approaching paddock with a dab of oppo Wink that was duely sorted with a cheeky bid on eBay when I got home, hello Cobra Imolas:

In addition, as you can see from the photos, the front wheels could do with a little more negative camber, not just for grip purposes, but to prolong tire life as well, so I may invest in come camber bolts of some sort. The T1R’s were also fine, yes they dont offer as much grip as R888’s, but I prefer fun to ultimate speed tbh, & having to fight the car around the track is where I get my pleasure ...

Roll on the next outing Big grin

Posted 7th Dec 2010 at 18:33
dave-rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Well after some late night eBay action over the past week, i now have the following sat in the server room at work LOL Hopefully it'll get warmer at some point so i can fit some of it:

2 x Cobra Imola's in black/dirt
1 x rather used OMP side mount
1 x slightly less used Cobra Side Mount
1 x new(ish) OMP Subframe
Various Grade 12.9 High Tensile bolts, nuts & washers
A 'Momo' steering wheel boss
1 x finest taiwanese 350mm suede dished steering wheel

Next stop is another OMP Subframe, some Eibach camber bolts & Sportline springs - for less tyre wear/lean/added stiffness. oo err

Over xmas i will also clean it. Probably Whistle

Posted 7th Dec 2010 at 18:36
ktb

Regular

Post #4
big fan of clio sports and the trophy is the king but those cups are look tidy too!

97 Phase 1 cherry red 2.0 16v GTI-6 Superman Wizard
Posted 8th Dec 2010 at 00:39
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #5
don't forget the cage Thumbs up

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 8th Dec 2010 at 00:47
gman

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
looks good mate, I sold a mint 34k one earlier this year and really regret it. How are the recaros holding out after that many miles?

1992 Onyx Black 205 GTI-6
2005 Honda S2000 (Sold)
2002 Audi S3 (Sold)
2005 Clio 182 Trophy (sold)
Posted 8th Dec 2010 at 02:25
mr2swzo

Regular

Post #7
Sadly no 6 though.
Posted 8th Dec 2010 at 03:56
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #8
Ahh i wondered when this would make an appearance after reading about it on cliosport Ninja
Posted 8th Dec 2010 at 04:22
dave-rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
gman wrote:
looks good mate, I sold a mint 34k one earlier this year and really regret it. How are the recaros holding out after that many miles?

Why thank you Blush Recaro's are fine tbh, the car literally ploughed up & down the motorway under the previous owners stewardship, so whilst they were a little grubby, it all came off with a liberal dose of Raceglaze Alcantara cleaner. You have a cup now dont you? Think i've seen you posting on the Trophy forum ...

mr2swzo wrote:
Sadly no 6 though.

Pah, real men drive Rallye's anyway Razz here's mine back in ’04, when this forum was a baby:

rolandrat wrote:
Ahh i wondered when this would make an appearance after reading about it on cliosport Ninja

What you doing lurking over there? Thinking adding one to your collection of broken 306's? Whistle

Posted 8th Dec 2010 at 13:52
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Nice pics dave Thumbs up

Always loved your Rallye Yes Love

Just Drive It
Posted 8th Dec 2010 at 13:53
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
some lovely pics there Thumbs up

Hows old man matt doing? he stil aint gave me a price of seat LOL

you running one of the jms v6 induction conversions?
Posted 8th Dec 2010 at 14:00
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #12
dave-rallye wrote:

What you doing lurking over there? Thinking adding one to your collection of broken 306's? Whistle

Joined back in 09 for info on swapping an engine for a mate and since a mates bought a mint 172 cup so hes been using my details LOL
Posted 8th Dec 2010 at 15:21
dave-rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
lotek wrote:
you running one of the jms v6 induction conversions?

Yeah, im running a V6 airbox with ITG filter & acoustic valve removed, i 1st fitted one in 2007 to my 172 cup though, so im a fair bit ahead of Tom & James on that front!! Should have started punted them on ... would have made a fortune Sad

Realised i didnt put the spec in the original posts, too many pictures Roll eyes

Clio V6 airbox inc. ITG filter
Acoustic valve removed
BTB cat back exhaust
Front arch liners & fog lights removed
OMP 3" 4 point harnesses
Whiteline ARB

Most of the interior is still in it at the moment, but for track days, i fold the rear seats down - purely as it made a massive difference on the Rallye, something about lowering the centre of gravity iirc Yes

Posted 8th Dec 2010 at 16:40
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
yeh they made a tidy sum on the conversion they offer LOL

looks very tidy with the odyssey battery in there aswell.
you know the burpspeed guys?
Posted 8th Dec 2010 at 16:48
gman

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
dave-rallye wrote:
gman wrote:

Why thank you Blush Recaro's are fine tbh, the car literally ploughed up & down the motorway under the previous owners stewardship, so whilst they were a little grubby, it all came off with a liberal dose of Raceglaze Alcantara cleaner. You have a cup now dont you? Think i've seen you posting on the Trophy forum ...

Did post on the Trophy forum for a while. The lads on there are pretty clued up, but as it's a small site it does get a little boring. I was also a member of the cliosport site, but I couldn't handle the lack of IQ of the chavs there.

I went from the Trophy to an S3.

2005 Honda S2000 (Sold)
2002 Audi S3 (Sold)
Posted 8th Dec 2010 at 17:37
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
How you finding the s3 in comparason? the handling cant be a patch on the trophy can it?
sachs remote resivoir dampers as standard Cool
Posted 8th Dec 2010 at 18:08
scib4

Senior User

Post #17
Very nice Dave!

Mike

08 BMW 320d M-Sport touring (Superchipped Spec)
11 VW Transporter Kombi T5.1GP LWB (Bi-Turbo spec)
Yeti DJ (Jump spec)
Specialized SX Trail (DH spec)
Specialized Pitch (XC spec)
Posted 8th Dec 2010 at 18:11
pugzy

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Long time, no see Dave, looking gooood! Smile

I scrolled down the pics and thought, "how the f*ck do I know that reg plate (D8 VYJ)?"...and then the penny dropped...Blush

Pugzy...aka Mike Thumbs up

Ex-Platinum silver 306 GTi6 owner...now an Ex-Scarlet Red 406 3ltr V6 Coupe owner too Sad

Now driving a China Blue 106 1.5 Diesel..."The Money-Saving and Debt-Busting Machine" LOL
Posted 8th Dec 2010 at 20:01
gman

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
lotek wrote:
How you finding the s3 in comparason? the handling cant be a patch on the trophy can it?
sachs remote resivoir dampers as standard Cool

It's bloody lovely in this weather, with heated seats and 4 wheel drive! The build quality is superb but the downside is the weight. It's quite a bit quicker than the Trophy, but it's just too heavy to enjoy corners. So much so I don't even go round them fast these days.

Looking to swap to an s2000 soon, but think i'll wait until the spring!

2005 Honda S2000 (Sold)
2002 Audi S3 (Sold)
Posted 9th Dec 2010 at 00:48
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #20
gman wrote:

You have a 205 to finish first!Roll eyes

O/T hows the house going?
Posted 9th Dec 2010 at 00:54
willygti

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Wow mega! That bottom pic is inspirational! Wasn't that one of the roads they did on TG with the Aston, Porche and Lambo??

Team Ducati 748
2003 Subaru Impreza STi
Posted 9th Dec 2010 at 00:59
gman

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
roland rat wrote:
gman wrote:

You have a 205 to finish first!Roll eyes

O/T hows the house going?

Too right Ash! Your engine and gear box are still sat in a barn, but need to spay the engine bay first to keep it looking mind. Far too cold for that shit at the moment.

House is done and dusted, thanks for asking. Only took us 8 months to finish it all. Now just the garden to doLOL

The amount you're spending on cars and wheels at the moment, you could have bought 2 houses!LOL

2005 Honda S2000 (Sold)
2002 Audi S3 (Sold)
Posted 10th Dec 2010 at 03:26
dave-rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
pugzy wrote:
Long time, no see Dave, looking gooood! Smile

I scrolled down the pics and thought, "how the f*ck do I know that reg plate (D8 VYJ)?"...and then the penny dropped...Blush

Ha ha, im good thanks, working hard, spending harder Whistle supposed to be saving for a house, & failing miserably!!

How you doing, did i read somewhere your getting married?!

Anyways, back on topic Wink

Bought some more seats this week - whilst i liked the Imolas, i had really wanted a set of Bimarco Futuras all along, & when a good friend (James @ JMS) offered me his for a decent price, i couldnt really refuse ... Then eBay came up trumps with some 15" Pro Race 1.2's to reduce build costs a little - i'll be selling the 2118's, pretty wheels arent really needed for track car Sad

Cant wait to actually fit it all lol ... too blooming cold outside though Crazy

Posted 17th Dec 2010 at 14:19
dave-rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
Well, Saturday brought two things, rain & fire.

The first, well that wasnt really anyones fault, but i needed to get the car up in the air to fit the Bimarco's, this involved me getting wet & dirty :dapprove: But after much swearing, adjustments and bolting/unbolting, i had two new seats. Shame that upon the initial installation i couldnt reach the pedals. Being short FTL Sad After attempt 7, they seem to be comfy enough, more tweaking required though, & Sarah's moaning that her seat is too upright, despite it being on the most 'relaxed' setting ...

Once that was done, i thought i would attempt the new steering wheel, foolishly thinking that it would be easy, like the Saxo one. Nope, the airbag, horn & cruise wires were a pain, & i fitted the boss upside down so all manner of warning lights came up on the dash - amazing how fitting a steering wheel incorrectly affects the ABS & TC Unsure

So then, onto the test drive, where my new steering wheel highlighted the fact that my tracking is waaaaay out, with the wheel at 45 degrees when going in a straight line. FFS. Then, i decided to make sure my horn still worked, this was a bad idea.

Well almost!! Something fizzed, smoke appeared & i feared that the internet phenomenon 'V6 on Fire' might soon become a distant memory in the presence of 'Trophy on Fire'. Panic set in & i did what any competent FailSport mechanic would do, i checked my feshly opened can of Pepsi Max over my new steering wheel. Not sure if it was a good idea, ie water + electrics, etc, but the car didnt catch fire, so im happy enough, wheels a bit sticky though ...

Upon speaking to Ollie, it sounds like the horn wire had sparked on the metal boss, & tried to recreate the big bang. Doh.

In addition, after continued 'wobbling', i inspected the Pro Race 1.2's i had just bought/had balanced and one of them has a bulge in it, which would explain why they still feel awful. Now normally, i wouldnt be too upset, but i sold my my perfect condition 2118's in order to save some money, now i need to go & buy another set of wheels, aaaarrrrgggggghhhhh!!

Anyways, here are some awful pictures, will update again once i've cleaned it, fitted the Sportlines/another set of wheels & a new splitter Big grin

Posted 14th Jan 2011 at 15:20
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
how much was the wheel ? looks nice!
Posted 14th Jan 2011 at 15:28

Pages (2): [1] 2