displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: Car runs when i take the key out.
shings

Post #1
Hi

Right..

Since Sat morning my Phase 3 V Plate 306gti6 has developed a random problem.

Car drives FINE and has no problems BUT

When I turn the key off and take it out it stays running.
When I push the brake pedal it stops the engine.
Release brake pedal and the lights come on on the dash board.
Push brake pedal and the lights go out again.
Then I lock the door and the lights stay off and the radiator fan comes on.

Any ideas?

In the fuse box in the engine bay the little black half sized relay seems to click???

I'm a bit confused and stuck lol

Jake
Posted 6th Dec 2010 at 22:41
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
With all the faults, the clincher for me is the automatic running fan when the car is locked. That's the major fan loom where it goes from body to fans. Lie under the front, looking just inboard of passenger foglight area and you'll see a huge loom. the connector there corrodes, and causes nearly all of your listed problems including dash lights.

It can cause fires allegedly, though i remain skeptical of this.

Let me find my thread.

Edit: Here you go

For information, cross posted from 306.net

quote:
I had this problem several years ago and it pops up every now and then and people don't believe me but every time I have been right

Some people have come back to me after spending hundreds at Peugeot when they would not believe me and said they wish they had checked it.

The best case is your dash stays lit...your immobiliser wont immobilise...your fans might come on randomly without the keys in and you might get a flat battery...or the engine may stay running even with the keys out (petrol or diesel)...the worst case is your wiring burns out and goes on fire (what I believe may have happened to Mikes old car).

Winter is VERY hard on car electrical circuits - blower motors, rear window heaters etc etc all put extra load on the electrical supply and snow can get in places water wouldn't as it builds up on the car so moisture travels sideways and rubber seals can become hard and less effective letting in water so it is very important to bare this in mind and remember this:

1. Spend £10-20 on a fire extinguisher suitable for cars and put it somewhere you can get to it but it is not going to cause a hazard. Do not bury it under stuff in the boot.

2. if you get any smoke, burning smells, strange electrical problems - PULL OVER and pull away from the main road. Turn the engine off and investigate.

3. If you catch a fire soon enough try and tackle it with a fire extinguisher but know when you are defeated and get well back and do not return to the car. The sooner you call emergency services the sooner there may be some chance of getting your belongings out but even a small car would write off most cars let alone an old one so remember you are more important than a car. The car is pretty much gone anyway.

Back to the electrical fault:

This can happen to any connector but this one is very common due to its position at the front of the car.

The connector is located down the passenger side of the radiator and goes to the fans. The fan side is circled here:

The connection joint is actually on the engine side of the front cross member but you may have to unscrew the air inlet to get decent access.

This connector can, over the years, get water inside and corrode. The longer you leave it the more likely you are to have to cut the whole thing off.

Before you start you should disonnect the battery +ve connector.

To check you need to undo the outer knurled locking ring and then prise it away. Do not pull the wires. Use something to lever the connector if you need to.

You will probably find the connectors are all blue with copper oxide.

If you haven't already (you should have done), disconnect the battery - make sure you have the radio code.

Then clean out the connector with a liberal spraying of switch cleaner (get some from maplins or a hard ware shop).

When it has dried - inspect and be honest - if it is knackered then get a new connector.

When sorted and reconnected and the locking ring is tight then spray around the join with an automotive spray wax or white grease spray to help keep out mositure.

Job done.

Additional info:

I suspect fire was due to this wiring problem: [url]http://www.pug306.net/forum/showthread.php/66572-29-hours-from-purchase-to-write-off!?highlight=snow%2Bfire[/url]

This is the connector (sheers to Ralee21):

To undo grip the lock ring on the full round bit with some water pump pliers - firmly but don't crush it and not the castle bits as they need to deflect around locking tabs.

Then when fully undo just pull apart. When re-assembling make sure it is pushed very well home and then do it up nice and tight to pull it together - loose fitting can cause heat/melting and water to get in.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 6th Dec 2010 at 23:25
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
As above likely to be the connector to the fans, corrodes and causes all sort of issues. As a short term fix you can remove the fan fuse from the engine bay fuse box until you get chance to strip the front end down and swop the fans/investigate the connector. This should see the bulk of the issues stop.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 7th Dec 2010 at 00:16
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Yes that's what i did for 5 months til I had time to find it. HDi doesn't really use the fans though, especially with French aircon. Whistle

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 7th Dec 2010 at 00:24
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
tvrfan007 wrote:
especially with French aircon. Whistle

Well unlike most, mine works

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 7th Dec 2010 at 00:48
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
thugpuggin wrote:
tvrfan007 wrote:
especially with French aircon. Whistle

Well unlike most, mine works

Your avatar has never seemed so fitting. Whistle

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 7th Dec 2010 at 00:50
shings

Post #7
thugpuggin wrote:
As above likely to be the connector to the fans, corrodes and causes all sort of issues. As a short term fix you can remove the fan fuse from the engine bay fuse box until you get chance to strip the front end down and swop the fans/investigate the connector. This should see the bulk of the issues stop.

Which one?

Posted 8th Dec 2010 at 01:18
shings

Post #8
http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=67123&page=1

On the pic in the engine bay is it 38, 39 or 40?
Posted 8th Dec 2010 at 01:42
shings

Post #9
Ignore me - I've just through process of elimination pulled all 3 out and found 40 seems to have solved the problems.

We'll see what the morning brings - at least this means I don't have to rush out and buy a car.

Posted 8th Dec 2010 at 01:43
red rocket

Post #10
my key thing did that, took the key out and stood outside with the bonnet open looking at engine still running with key in hand. Turned out to be earth cable had snapped going to engine or gearbox i dont know as it wasn`t connected. maybe yours is corroded or damaged.i just made new connection and put on a bracket thats on engine.
Posted 10th Dec 2010 at 21:43
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
It'll be the fan plug, it always is. you've got 9 out of 10 of the symptoms.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 10th Dec 2010 at 22:36
shings

Post #12
It was, confirmed. No problems since Tuesday.

WOOP
Posted 11th Dec 2010 at 00:05