displaying posts 1 to 22 of 22

Author Subject: piston cut outs?
309btcc

**DODGY SELLER**

Post #1
anyone know somewhere i can get this done??
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 01:01
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
welshpug had some done iirc

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 01:05
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #3
Woodmill engineering are local and could do this, you will need to centre dot the datum point for the cut out by using an old valve cutting off the head and grinding it to a point. The head will need stripping and all the valves will have to come out to allow you to centre dot the top of all the pistons. With the piston 1 at TDC (Do each one in turn) put the sharpened valve in each of the four empty valve holes with the point down and give the tip a very gentle tap with a SMALL hammer, this will accurately mark the reference point for the machinist to enlarge your cut-outs, don't just get him to use the existing cuts as a reference as looking at the witness marks where tappers hit the pistons the cut-outs seem to be in slightly the wrong place anyway (too far towards the chamber wall as the valves hit the inside edge of the cut out)
You then need to repeat the process for pistons 2,3 and 4. Radial clearance (The gap from the outside edge of the valve to the side of the cut-out needs to be at least 1mm and the depth wants to be a good 1.5mm from the underside of the valve to the bottom of the cut-out. Mark inlet and exhaust positions on the pistons before you remove them as it will be a pain if you forget which one is which once you have them out. The macinist will also need to know the inclination angle of the valves so he can set the cutter at the right angle, make sure he uses a round nosed cutter as you don't want a sharp edge at the bottom of the cut-out to form a stress point.

Oh f*ck it, I just remembered you picked up those Omega high comp pistons did'nt you? You won't need any of the above info now!

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 03:48
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #4
or just send them to martin price or sandy brown who have jigs to do this already Big grin

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 04:14
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #5
welshpug! wrote:
or just send them to martin price or sandy brown who have jigs to do this already Big grin

Yeah, that's probably a lot easier Razz LOL

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 04:17
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I will admit to having cracked the dremel out once and done them freehand for a V6 set on a budget*...LOL

*The above advice is not endorsed or recommended by the user, and damage is your own bloody fault for trying to copy me being a pikey, I accept no liability for you being a lesser pikey.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 04:18
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #7
Laugh my ass off

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 04:19
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #8
Pikey masterclass 101 LOL

Harness bars
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 04:21
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
You can also braze a lathe insert to a couple of spare valves and do it in-situ with a stop on the valve stem* Whistle

*Previous disclaimer applies

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 04:24
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #10
Are you going to have to travel the country killing us all now that you are revealing all this classified info? Unsure Wink

Harness bars
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 04:27
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
I'm afraid I'll have to, top secret race info that, better sort out your affairs.

Email me!
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 04:27
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #12
phillipm wrote:
I'm afraid I'll have to, top secret race info that, better sort out your affairs.

Too late for that, I'm leaving my unfinished project to the forum at large, good luck fellas Dry

Harness bars
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 04:30
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Shit, now the whole forum's gonna get sucked into a blackhole for credit cards...LOL

Email me!
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 04:31
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #14
phillipm wrote:
Shit, now the whole forum's gonna get sucked into a blackhole for credit cards...LOL

A problem shared...Dry Razz

Harness bars
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 04:34
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
All that'd happen is the entire forum would be locked in a battle about whether it should be 30mm lower or 40mm lower, and spend 2 years shouting c*nt! at each other, whilst rallyestyle fitted some dodgy LED front running lights so it looked faster...

Email me!
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 04:37
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #16
phillipm wrote:
All that'd happen is the entire forum would be locked in a battle about whether it should be 30mm lower or 40mm lower, and spend 2 years shouting c*nt! at each other, whilst rallyestyle fitted some dodgy LED front running lights so it looked faster...

Probably! If you attack my Wossners with a Dremmel I'll come back and haunt you Angry

Harness bars
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 04:39
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Hmm

Email me!
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 04:42
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #18
phillipm wrote:
Hmm

Step away from the power tools, I went over em and could'nt find a sharp edge or a bit of spare ally on them anywhere Wink

Harness bars
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 04:45
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
I'm sure they could be lighter....LOL

Email me!
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 04:50
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #20
phillipm wrote:
I'm sure they could be lighter....LOL

Definitely, but would they still be reliable? And I don't mean could I rely on thm to fail? Razz

Harness bars
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 04:52
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
pfft, it's not fun unless every time you head towards the redline you start watching for dents in the bonnet.

Email me!
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 04:56
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #22
True, it's the acompanying dents in the bank balance that ruin the fun for me though...

Harness bars
Posted 7th Sep 2010 at 15:24