displaying posts 51 to 56 of 56

Pages (3): 1 2 [3]

Author Subject: low boost charger or 240bhp n/a
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #51
Horses for courses really...

Everyone has there own preference for either N/A or forced induction tuning. In terms of N/A or low-boost S/C my comments would be as follows:

- Low boost S/C produces a proven 250 BHP and circa 215 FT/LBS torque. You will struggle to get the same torque with N/A.

- Low-boost costs circa £3,600 DIY. You will not build a reliable, 250 BHP N/A engine for this, including management and mapping etc which is all included in the low-boost price.

- IMO, a 150K miler engine with a low-boost kit fitted to it will outlast a 250 BHP N/A engine build from new. The RPM, compression ratios, piston speeds etc do effect longetivity on a N/A engine. You won't get 250 BHP in N/A form without compromising this.

- The S/C conversion is future-proofed to allow further tuning and more power from the same platform.

- They idle and drive like a standard '6 at low RPM - depending on what you use the car for, a 250 BHP N/A engine may not be practical

Smile

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 25th Jun 2012 at 13:47
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #52
Sounds a no brainer really I guess. Is there any negative effects of going for low boost but with the larger intercooler etc with the idea that a low boost will eventually lead to high boost would it make sense to get the parts there ready so in theory it's just the rebuild and map alteration that would be needed in the future?
Posted 25th Jun 2012 at 17:07
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #53
blandy wrote:
Sounds a no brainer really I guess. Is there any negative effects of going for low boost but with the larger intercooler etc with the idea that a low boost will eventually lead to high boost would it make sense to get the parts there ready so in theory it's just the rebuild and map alteration that would be needed in the future?

Pretty much. You need a few more bits and bobs, but that's most of it.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 25th Jun 2012 at 17:20
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #54
If you are considering that high boost is something you want to do in the future it makes sense to get the larger intercooler and pipework now, that way you don't have to buy two lots (saving money) and change it over when you make the transition. Smile

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 25th Jun 2012 at 18:09
simonjames

Seasoned Pro

Post #55
That is what I did

All South Wales Members Click Here
Team Supercharged Black RALLYE ™ (Click Here for Build Project)
MY EBAY ITEMS

Posted 25th Jun 2012 at 20:58
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #56
I'd agree with Rich, 250bhp is a lot from an NA engine and is not as easy to come by as you may think. Rich's SC kits drive very much like an NA motor anyway and you can get everything sorted out with the car whilst building up a low mileage High boost bottom end, then just swap it over when the times right.

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 25th Jun 2012 at 22:59

Pages (3): 1 2 [3]